Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times

Advertisements

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...nth-police-say

Back in old days, there always somebody who is retired or live in building owners who are often hanging out at the front of buildings. These days most apts are occupied by working professionals who are at work during the day which makes it easy for burglars to take their time and not get caught. These are not big co-ops that have security.

I used to watch the entrance from my 5th floor apt in Chelsea and seeing all the different people going in/out of my building at all times. Many folks I never seen before, there's no way to know who's who without building security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 08:14 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,579,361 times
I'm lucky that I don't have fire escapes. Also, I think that NYC has enjoyed lower crime rates for quite some time, and we get complacent. I remember the bad old days, when you would walk down the street looking over your shoulder the whole time, worried you could be mugged any minute. No way would you leave doors and windows unlocked.

Now, people are looking at their phones, totally oblivious to whatever is around them.

But getting back to break-ins: how do people cope with this common situation: Someone in your building is moving in or out, and the movers prop open the front door, often for long periods. I always shut the door, but I've gotten into arguments over it.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:26 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Back then I had a super that lived on the ground floor and he has his apt door wide open because deliveries like UPS etc need signatures and he would hold them for us. He also watched the door to see who's going in / out. He tells me he often kick out people who tries to find a stairwell to do drugs or suspicious people going in and checking doors. He's seen someone going door to door just to check if the door is unlocked.

I admit I once totally forgot to lock my door in the morning and returned home thinking my apt was broken into but I simply didn't lock when I gone out.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
The Block that has been hit is near Bellevue. Many mentally unstable people and drug addicts are around that area.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:55 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,776,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
The Block that has been hit is near Bellevue. Many mentally unstable people and drug addicts are around that area.
Bellevue has really little to do with this, the block of 25st Btwn 2/3ave is the block that has been hit also there's a police precinct on 21btwn 2/3ave.

It's still a great area and was showing places there today. Signs in almost all the buildings mentioning to be vigilant.

Yet another example of people who think crimes only happen in certain areas especially with certain demographics. Crime happens everywhere in nyc.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Bellevue has really little to do with this, the block of 25st Btwn 2/3ave is the block that has been hit also there's a police precinct on 21btwn 2/3ave.

It's still a great area and was showing places there today. Signs in almost all the buildings mentioning to be vigilant.

Yet another example of people who think crimes only happen in certain areas especially with certain demographics. Crime happens everywhere in nyc.
Several friends live in that area and have lived there, their whole lives. Bellevue and all the clinic around there defiantly affect the area.

Crime can happen any where yes but in the specific neighborhood people I know are not shocked.

I never said crime can't happen anywhere, or it only happens with certain demographics.

And 21st to 25th Street is a world away in police terms.

Showing a few places in a neighborhood doesn't make you know the area. And your a broker of course you gonna talk the neighborhood up and act like oh don't worry you will be safe here.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:12 PM

443 posts, read 438,309 times
Oh please, Bellevue's been there for how many years? But sure, let's just blame them.

Let's not blame the people who walk into their buildings and don't bother shutting the outer door behind them. People who buzz in others without verifying who it is first. People who leave their fire escape windows open while they're not at home. Basically those who lack common sense while living in an overcrowded, large city.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:31 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
People who buzz in others without verifying who it is first.
Manners and respect should always come before cynicism and distrust

Old 02-18-2016, 05:18 PM

31,919 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Just as in parts of Brooklyn and elsewhere in the City 99.9% of these thefts are caused by total ignorance and or negligence. These transplants/hipsters, new residents to NYC or whatever need to learn and understand they aren't in Kansas anymore Dorothy!

Those of use born and raised in the City especially who have lived through the period say up until really the 1980's or 1990's know the drill.

You don't leave windows open near or facing fire escapes.

You don't leave your door unlocked.

You don't let persons into the building behind you or whatever that you don't know.

You don't open your apartment door to people you don't know.

You don't buzz persons into the building you don't know

And so it goes...

Many apartment buildings especially small low rise ones have been getting rid of old school supers (or they are dying, or retiring) and in their place you get some hot shot friend of someone who treats the job as part time. Because he is out at work all day doors are left unlocked and or open for various workers and services (meter readers, exterminators, etc...) As noted in the above article once a person is in a building and can get to the back yards they can just go up and down the block unseen. Again since so many idiots leave their windows open that face fire escapes.....

Quite honestly often a robbery will teach these persons a lesson. Nothing like having your stuff jacked to teach vigilance.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
Oh please, Bellevue's been there for how many years? But sure, let's just blame them.
No one is blaming Bellevue. I'm simply stating a lot of seedy people are around that area. Much like port authority.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 02-18-2016 at 05:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: