Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 PM

68 posts, read 125,965 times

Advertisements

SO i got a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot in a cvs parking spot.. wtf.. this is a private lot. owned by the stores so i thought. How can those meter maids go in there and give me a ticket for this in a private lot. Is it worth fighting. 180 dollar ticket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 PM

119 posts, read 257,468 times
Doesn't matter if it's a private store lot, as long as the offense occurred within the boundaries of their geographical area of employment they can give you a summons for it. It's like shooting someone in your house, it may be your private property but you still be arrested because you have to follow the law.

Next time don't park in a handicapped spot and you won't have to pay expensive summonses.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:55 AM

so they can come to your driveway and give you a ticket for expired inspection sticker? how about your garage? its a slippery slope..

how about mall parking lots?

how about college campus parking?

thanks for your advice, in the future i am not going to shop at that drugstore again.. Ill drive to long island and shop there..

They had 2 handicap spots i occupied one for all of 5 mins. the other one was empty when i came out. the only other spots were half a mile away

Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.N.Y. View Post
Doesn't matter if it's a private store lot, as long as the offense occurred within the boundaries of their geographical area of employment they can give you a summons for it. It's like shooting someone in your house, it may be your private property but you still be arrested because you have to follow the law.

Next time don't park in a handicapped spot and you won't have to pay expensive summonses.
you are comparing parking in a handicapped spot to shooting someone in your house. Good one.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:34 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
the short answer is yes, meter maids and the police can still issue tickets for certain traffic infractions in parking lots open to public traffic.

you dont have a leg to stand on , no pun intended.

there is lots of confusion in peoples minds when it comes to whether a parking lot is private property.

a parking lot open to public traffic falls under many of the traffic laws. even worse a handicapped spot is golden under state law. a handicap spot is one of those things specifically mentioned in state law that you can get a violation for in a parking lot just by its being designated a handicap spot. .

a parking lot open to public traffic under the traffic code is not considered the same as private property for quite a few types of infractions. the exempt ones are basically traffic control devices which unless ordered under local legislation arent enforceable.

that stop sign in the mall parking lot may have had legislation to order it there as a safety factor, you can get a violation from the police for not stopping.

state law s1100 says the traffic code except for the exceptions listed apply to:

"(a) The provisions of this title apply upon public highways,
private roads open to public motor vehicle traffic and any other parking
lot"

state law actually spells out you can get a ticket for parking in a designated handicap spot no matter where it is.

see s1100 section c, it spells out handicap spots as being enforceable.
S 1100. Provisions of title refer to vehicles upon highways;
exceptions. (a) The provisions of this title apply upon public highways,
private roads open to public motor vehicle traffic and any other parking
lot, except where a different place is specifically referred to in a
given section.
(b) The provisions of this title relating to obedience to stop signs,
flashing signals, yield signs, traffic-control signals and other
traffic-control devices, and to one-way, stopping, standing, parking and
turning regulations shall apply to a parking lot only when the
legislative body of any city, village or town has adopted a local law,
ordinance, rule or regulation ordering such signs, signals, devices, or
regulations.
(c) Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision (b) of this section,
the provisions of subparagraph e of paragraph two of subdivision (a) of
section twelve hundred two and section twelve hundred three-c of this
chapter shall also apply to any area which has been designated as a
place for parking for handicapped persons pursuant to such section.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-16-2012 at 03:03 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank7799 View Post
so they can come to your driveway and give you a ticket for expired inspection sticker? how about your garage? its a slippery slope..

how about mall parking lots?

how about college campus parking?

thanks for your advice, in the future i am not going to shop at that drugstore again.. Ill drive to long island and shop there..

They had 2 handicap spots i occupied one for all of 5 mins. the other one was empty when i came out. the only other spots were half a mile away
the laws are the same in long island... you can be ticketed ......

heres a tip, stay out of the handicap spots and do what the rest of us who can walk do, we park legally.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,907 times
Quote:

You're really going to stop shopping at that store because you think you're entitled to park in a handicapped spot (even if it was for "just 5 minutes") when you're not handicapped?

Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,416 times
How big can a CVS parking lot be that you can't park in a regular spot??
Yes you can get a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot no matter where you are. Why are you parking in a handicapped spot anyway? Sorry, but you deserved that ticket. Ever think that maybe someone who needed that spot may have to go to CVS for medication or other supplies??

Old 03-16-2012, 06:29 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
This is one of those situations where pretty much no one is going to be on your side. Pay the ticket, you messed up and apparently, you don't even see it as wrong.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,811,510 times
Quote:
The next regular spot was half a mile away?
That's a lie.
Enjoy your ticket.
I see {hope} many many more for you in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City