Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hempstead recorded a murder rate of 22 / 100k in 2010, on par with some of the worst parts of NYC though not the worst.
And if those murders disproportionately took place in the northern part of Hempstead (Terrace Avenue, etc), then that section probably would be pretty close to being the worst part of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I don't know much about long island but whats the predominate racial demographics in Hempstead? Is it the same demographics of south jamiaca?
C'mon, man. Is this an excuse to start bashing Blacks & Hispanics?

In any case, here you go: //www.city-data.com/city/Hempstead-New-York.html

Black alone - 24,724 (45.9%)
Hispanic - 23,823 (44.2%)
White alone - 3,548 (6.6%)
Two or more races - 762 (1.4%)
Asian alone - 704 (1.3%)
Other race alone - 221 (0.4%)
American Indian alone - 96 (0.2%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 13 (0.02%)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 10:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
And if those murders disproportionately took place in the northern part of Hempstead (Terrace Avenue, etc), then that section probably would be pretty close to being the worst part of the city.

)
I wonder if Hempstead gives a (false) impression of being safer than NYC neighborhoods because it's more suburban: less hood characters hanging out on the street, etc. But it works both ways, as it also means less ok people out on the street.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Well, if SeventhFloor's been there and ranks it a full shade below areas like East NY, Brownsville, and East Harlem then obviously it can't be among the absolute worst in the city. Either that, or if South Jamaica's really the worst area you've been to, then you're not as tough as you're making yourself out to be.
South jamaica is a really bad hood. the reason why it gets slept on alot is because people dont brag about queens they way they brag about harlem, brookln, and the south bronx.

queens is a silent borough. They like to catch you slipping.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
South jamaica is a really bad hood. the reason why it gets slept on alot is because people dont brag about queens they way they brag about harlem, brookln, and the south bronx.

queens is a silent borough. They like to catch you slipping.
Well for Long Islanders, most are well aware of the bad Queens neighborhoods. Jamaica probably more so because it's in a location where people pass through.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:28 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Well for Long Islanders, most are well aware of the bad Queens neighborhoods. Jamaica probably more so because it's in a location where people pass through.
yea and i would like to guess that a lot of queens folks and long island folks chill in eachothers neighborhood.

i know elmont is literally walking distance from queens.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I wonder if Hempstead gives a (false) impression of being safer than NYC neighborhoods because it's more suburban: less hood characters hanging out on the street, etc. But it works both ways, as it also means less ok people out on the street.
I think the fact that it's more suburban in general might give the impression that it's not too bad. I mean, when you think of "the hood" in NYC, you usually think of dense tenement buildings or housing projects, not streets like this. I mean, even areas like East NY that are a little more spread-out at least have rowhouses, and the few single-family homes look more run-down.

But the thing is that the Terrace Avenue area actually is fairly dense. I mean, this could probably pass for a street in Brownsville or something. The same for this and this (I mean, you do see some people out and about).

I think it's just because it's out in Long Island, and people assume the whole place is like Levittown. Not to mention that, at least on these forums, people on LI are fairly quick to label any minority area bad (or an area with a lot of "day laborers" hanging out), so it's like a "boy who cried wolf" deal.

On a side note, I wonder how areas like Roosevelt & Wyandanch compare against NYC areas. I heard they're actually pretty bad.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:41 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times
Quote:
I think the fact that it's more suburban in general might give the impression that it's not too bad. I mean, when you think of "the hood" in NYC, you usually think of dense tenement buildings or housing projects, not streets like this. I mean, even areas like East NY that are a little more spread-out at least have rowhouses, and the few single-family homes look more run-down.

But the thing is that the Terrace Avenue area actually is fairly dense. I mean, this could probably pass for a street in Brownsville or something. The same for this and this (I mean, you do see some people out and about).

I think it's just because it's out in Long Island, and people assume the whole place is like Levittown. Not to mention that, at least on these forums, people on LI are fairly quick to label any minority area bad (or an area with a lot of "day laborers" hanging out), so it's like a "boy who cried wolf" deal.

On a side note, I wonder how areas like Roosevelt & Wyandanch compare against NYC areas. I heard they're actually pretty bad.
Yes, there are some other problem areas on the island but they are too sparsely populated to be as dangerous as many NYC hoods with giant crowded NYCHA buildings, low-income tenements and secton 8 apartments all crammed into an area of 1 square mile. Plus, since most properties have their own backyard and frontyard in suburban hoods, this eliminates a lot of people who would otherwise be hanging out on the street/sidewalk messing with people.

I'm extremely familiar with Wyandanch and it definitely couldn't compare with a NYC hood. Until yesterday, there hasn't been a shooting or murder for months, as far as I know. Yes, Wyandanch has a lot of poverty but it's not really dangerous. The only part of town that is somewhat dangerous is it's main road called "Straight Path", that's where everything goes down, the rest of Wyandanch is mostly quiet streets with houses on good-sized properties but don't get me wrong, these areas are definitely not immune to crime either! If Wyandanch was apart of that NYC Safety Map thread. Straight Path and it's immediate area would be "orange" and the entire rest of the town would either be "clear" or "yellow". The only location on LI that could compare with the hoods of NYC is the northern half of Hempstead and possibly Riverhead.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 08-19-2012 at 05:08 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I'm extremely familiar with Wyandanch and it definitely couldn't compare with a NYC hood. Until yesterday, there hasn't been a shooting or murder for months, as far as I know. Yes, Wyandanch has a lot of poverty but it's not really dangerous. The only part of town that is somewhat dangerous is it's main road called "Straight Path", that's where everything goes down, the rest of Wyandanch is mostly quiet streets with houses on good-sized properties but don't get me wrong, these areas are definitely not immune to crime either! If Wyandanch was apart of that NYC Safety Map thread. Straight Path and it's immediate area would be "orange" and the entire rest of the town would either be "clear" or "yellow". The only location on LI that could compare with the hoods of NYC is the northern half of Hempstead and possibly Riverhead.
Makes sense. But why would Riverhead be up there? I mean, from what some people describe, it's just "day laborers" hanging out and that's about it. I know a few areas where that happens and I just put them in yellow (for other reasons besides that, though).

Old 08-24-2012, 04:36 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,018 times
Can this thread die now

Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
Can this thread die now
Why did you just revive it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City