Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:25 PM

127 posts, read 236,241 times

Advertisements

The positive thing about both bay ridge and inwood is the fact that the subway begins at both areas whether it's 207 station or the 95th bay ridge station so catching a train shouldn't be a problem for you.

Like jcol says bay ridge is def better if your white being that inwood is 97% Spanish so if that would make you uncomfortable then don't even visit lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:36 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironkid1 View Post
The positive thing about both bay ridge and inwood is the fact that the subway begins at both areas whether it's 207 station or the 95th bay ridge station so catching a train shouldn't be a problem for you.

Like jcol says bay ridge is def better if your white being that inwood is 97% Spanish so if that would make you uncomfortable then don't even visit lol
Spanish are from Spain. Latin Americans can be White, many are, most in NYC are or mostly Caucasian. Inwood a little different since the population is more Afro-influenced (DR). Inwood is full of non-Hispanic Whites and it's not all "hood", enough with the BS. Like 15%-20% of that neighborhood is non-Hispanic White at least. Yes there are poor pockets especially Broadway, Dyckman, ect with high rates of violent crime and such but there are very stable areas too. There are a lot of poor Latin Americans, predominantly Dominicans but no one would give a **** if you are non-Hispanic. I won't say the place doesn't have it's problems, it does, but those problems at least most are inter-personal. Stay out of that lifestyle and you should not have an issue. Biggest problems for someone going to and from work are noise and trash.

Bay Ridge has it's struggles too lets not forget to be fair. Overall more economically stable but there are problem areas.

Consider Jersey: JC and Hoboken if you want better local amenities and a shorter commute.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 PM

East of broadway is 97% Hispanic I'll post the census website later so you can see for yourself. Park terrace and pockets of seaman avenue are little less than half white. Hate people who have to be politically correct about everything. I Dnt care if you look like a squirrel if you speak Spanish your Spanish.

The buildings in inwood are all rodent infested to the point that they actually have signs in the streets warning you about the rats in the area. There was a shoot out with cops on cooper between 204&207 couple months ago and that is the nicer area of inwood!

What "problems" does bay ridge have that you wouldn't recommend it to someone?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 PM

And broadway, dyckman, aren't bad areas they are the busiest streets in inwood. It's nagle avenue, Sherman,Thayer,Elwood,sickle,vermilyea,post,isham east of broadway. Which only leaves you 204 to isham west of broadway, park terrace, and seaman north of 204 and west of broadway.

So if you can promote an area where 80% of its streets are dangerous then you don't know anything about that area and shouldn't be on this.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
So I take it your from the UK, considering you speak English.

Anyway, I named Broadway and Dyckman because most violent crime occurs in the vicinity of those streets. A lot easier then naming off every cross street.

Inwood, granted, has more violent crime then Bay Ridge. Given, it's a poorer neighborhood overall. However there are places to live, micro neighborhoods, that rarely see anything.

Another thing, non-Hispanic Whites are not unusual on Inwood. I don't want to argue but you can't write off an entire neighborhood for irrelevant reasons. You black listed an area that may save this guy money.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:10 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
I also vote Bay Ridge, there's plenty of bars, stores and restaurants in the area. The R train runs slow at times, but there's also an express bus that runs until midnight I believe as well.

I also agree with others to check into Jersey City and Hoboken. You might be able to find a nice cheap apt and have a 15 minute commute via the Path train.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,825 times
Where are the problem areas in Bay Ridge?

Old 03-17-2012, 09:24 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBound0 View Post
The thing im looking at, is the neighborhood of bay ridge nice enough to sacrafice the extra commute? Or is it not much of a difference?
Is safety important to you? Bay Ridge feels so much safer, IMO, and when you are traveling late or odd hours, safety is of the upmost importance.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 6,803 times
after reading all this im pretty much settled on bay ridge (dont know anyone in NJ or any areas of NJ so not really in my searches but thank you!)

Gimmeit- safety is always something to worry about but i always hear mixed reactions about inwood- even on this thread! In GENERAL, no nitpicking or being political about it, is Inwood an area you wouldnt mind your children or mother live in? Is it really THAT dangerous as everyone talks it up to be or is it a nice area with a bad rep?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
A lot depends on how far you are from either subway station. A long bus ride in Bay Ridge is going to be tedious. At least living in Inwood will generally havee you withing walking distance from either the A train or the #1 train.

Bay Ridge is prettier but subway access sucks. If Inwood choose West of Broadway if it is financially viable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City