Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 03:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile....mazon.amp.html

As soon as this merger closes it is going to immediately affect NYC retail. Whole Foods had the reputation of being pricey, with its name brand good companies that will now have no choice but to cut prices. Amazon will compete head in with Trader Joe's and likely accelerate their expansion in key markets.

What's left of Key Foods and Gristedes is screwed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 03:45 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

As soon as this merger closes it is going to immediately affect NYC retail. Whole Foods had the reputation of being pricey, with its name brand good companies that will now have no choice but to cut prices. Amazon will compete head in with Trader Joe's and likely accelerate their expansion in key markets.

Depends what route Amazon takes.

Amazon doesn't always impose it's will on its subsidiaries (e.g. Zappos).

I do think Amazon has grand ambitions for its new subsidiary but it may be using WFM as distribution (Amazon Fresh, Prime orders) centers and showcasing Amazon brands (Echo's, Amazon Basics, etc.) more so than trying to run their grocery business.

I hope Amazon does try to run WFM's grocery business because as you, I believe we'd all benefit.

Key Foods is better positioned (esp their franchises in the outer boroughs) than Gristedes. Gristedes was is the path to closing shop anyway.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 06-17-2017 at 03:54 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 03:49 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I don't think Amazon is going to change WF core grocery business much, at least in the short term. What this does do is give them B&M locations close to a large part of the population. I think it's that they're looking to leverage.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:57 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I don't think Amazon is going to change WF core grocery business much, at least in the short term. What this does do is give them B&M locations close to a large part of the population. I think it's that they're looking to leverage.
I agree. In the short term, I don't believe much will change with the WFM core model. They're heading in the right direction with the 365 brand anyhow and now with being a subsidiary of Amazon they won't have to worry much about quarterly profitability.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:23 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Exactly. Am here to say Amazon bought WF mainly for distribution and to reach demographic with disposable income in the food sector. Am thinking with WF's CEO staying, things won't change much. Bezos is no health food expert. Leave that to those who know better.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:49 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Amazon should be illegal.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:24 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Nope, I don't see them cannibalizing WF business model to compete with Key Foods, Associated etc.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:42 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Whole Foods has a very different kind of distribution network compared to other grocers, doesn't it?

Also, really sad that Fairway didn't end up more competitive. It feels like there was a time when Fairway could have been Whole Foods and a national chain. I'm not sure what happened there. For NYC-area based grocers, I reckon H Mart probably has the best future.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:47 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,931 times
I'm not shopping there unless the prices are cut by a third.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:09 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Amazon Prime shoppers get discounts and savings on delivery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City