Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Of course I know the original justification for affirmative action. I didn't answer because it's history is irrelevant to the topic at hand: is affirmative action racist? I cited the definitions of racism and affirmative action to prove that affirmative action is, indeed, clearly racist. Nobody has refuted that, so I'll assume nobody disagrees with me on that and only disagrees with me on the importance and/or meaning of affirmative action's racism.

So somebody has to justify why I, a while male, should be punished for what other white males did in the 1930's and why a modern black man applying for the same position as me, even though he has never faced anything like his forefathers did, should be given special treatment over me, regardless of our actual qualifications! Personally, I couldn't imagine wanting to be given preferential treatment like that. Maybe I'm just too proud, but I'll earn what I get, thankyouverymuch.

Affirmative action in 1961 is one thing. Over half-a-century later, in 2012? No.
Well slavery and segregation went on for much longer than half a century...the white male still has a long way to go to say sorry for enslaving people.

Also, are you telling me that without Affirmative Action, whites wouldn't use race when making a choice in picking potential employees? We are not far enough removed from what happened in the 60s, it will take generations of change and compassion towards others before we will ever hopefully reach that point.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM

458 posts, read 616,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well slavery and segregation went on for much longer than half a century...the white male still has a long way to go to say sorry for enslaving people.
No they don't. Most of the whites alive today had nothing to do with any racism and have nothing to apologize for.

What about you? Were you alive before 1961? If not, why are you deserving of special treatment?

Quote:
Also, are you telling me that without Affirmative Action, whites wouldn't use race when making a choice in picking potential employees?
As a general rule, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Why do you ask? Do you believe whites are generally racist? Should I believe most blacks have a personal grudge towards me and that they feel I should treat them specially?

Quote:
We are not far enough removed from what happened in the 60s, it will take generations of change and compassion towards others before we will ever hopefully reach that point.
It won't take "generations of change". The longer people think that, the longer people can't heal. All it takes for people to... wait for it... stop being racist. That's it!

Last edited by Jester2138; 03-25-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 12:08 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
Quote:

Also, are you telling me that without Affirmative Action, whites wouldn't use race when making a choice in picking potential employees? .
That's not what affirmative action was designed to combat. The idea behind affirmative action was not "whites can't be trusted. They will always hire other whites".

Affirmative action was recognizing that most deals and job hirings are made thru social circles and situations outside of work.....which denied opportunities to many minority applicants because they weren't members of the "country club".

It wasn't about "Whites will always pick whites" it was about "it's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know" and without the generations of upper class living enjoyed by white applicants, there was no way for minority applicants to really be competitive in many industries or in school applications.

It was just about leveling the playing field for people who were not as competitive thru no fault of their own, but because of generations of racism and classism in this country.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
No they don't. Most of the whites alive today had nothing to do with any racism and have nothing to apologize for.

What about you? Were you alive before 1961? If not, why are you deserving of special treatment?

As a general rule, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Why do you ask? Do you believe whites are generally racist? Should I believe most blacks have a personal grudge towards me and that they feel I should treat them specially?

It won't take "generations of change". The longer people think that, the longer people can't heal. All it takes for people to... wait for it... stop being racist. That's it!
That is a very naive belief to have.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 PM

458 posts, read 616,006 times
Quote:
That is a very naive belief to have.
That's a very vague comment - I have no idea what you're responding to.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:

As if it was that hard to figure out what he was referring to...

At the risk of you becoming the same thing you blame blacks and hispanics of being (sensitive)... Unless you belong to one of these two groups you really aren't qualified to speak on the matter since you have no idea of what they still go through on a daily basis... Granted, things have improved tenfold since then, but to say that opportunities are equal even with certain advantages is truly as urbanlife said... naive...

Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 AM

57 posts, read 128,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
Oh yes I forgot, If you're white you automatically have it easy. You just breeze through life without a struggle or having to work ever/at all.

It hasnt BEEN bad, but its getting there. White males are the opposite of a protected class, they are actually a targeted class and not in a good way.

I cant be anything other than what I am.

It seems like race/gender is ONLY a factor when it is AGAINST a white male and race/gender is never a factor when it comes to ANYTHING remotely positive in regards to white males.
Dude look through history.....who's always had the upper hand in society and who still has the upper hand in society

Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 AM

127 posts, read 236,174 times
Slavery ended in 1862 yet people still need to bend over backwards for them? Over 150 yrs have passed and their still "sensitive" LOL no black person alive today has experienced slavery nor has their parents or grandparents or great grandparents. Yes they were discriminated against but every race and nationality and religion has been discriminated against too. It's not like blacks/Hispanics are the only ones who faced racism. So for someone to say white people need to pay a long time for what their ancestors did is so ridiculous.

The Jews had things 100x worse yet you NEVER hear them use the holocaust as their reason for not making it in life. They don't use the Germans as scapegoats for their struggles. So what gives blacks the right to blame white people 150 yrs after the fact for their misfortunes?

Why don't Irish get special treatMent for when they were discriminated against when they came to ny? Why don't the Italians get special treatment for the racism they received--being called n******. People keep saying how the world is built for white people please explain why that is.

Last edited by Ironkid1; 03-26-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 AM

675 posts, read 1,255,883 times
Yea we all know how many Irish and Italians were legally lynched in this country like blacks were (and still are but its now called 'unfortunate police shooting).

Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironkid1 View Post
Slavery ended in 1862 yet people still need to bend over backwards for them? Over 150 yrs have passed and their still "sensitive" LOL no black person alive today has experienced slavery nor has their parents or grandparents or great grandparents. Yes they were discriminated against but every race and nationality and religion has been discriminated against too. It's not like blacks/Hispanics are the only ones who faced racism. So for someone to say white people need to pay a long time for what their ancestors did is so ridiculous.

The Jews had things 100x worse yet you NEVER hear them use the holocaust as their reason for not making it in life. They don't use the Germans as scapegoats for their struggles. So what gives blacks the right to blame white people 150 yrs after the fact for their misfortunes?

Why don't Irish get special treatMent for when they were discriminated against when they came to ny? Why don't the Italians get special treatment for the racism they received--being called n******. People keep saying how the world is built for white people please explain why that is.
Now that is one stupidly hilarious comment... Shows your knowledge of history very well... Btw, prejudice and discrimination also ended with the civil rights movement in 64'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: