Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:23 PM

84 posts, read 250,663 times

Advertisements

Today I was riding the BX22 in the morning, and this white man gets on the bus and asks the driver if the bus goes to Botanical Gardens. The driver says yes and the man sits down halfway through the ride this black woman explodes and says "If you don't like my hair, then why don't you buy me a weave." The white man replies back and says "what are you talking about?" She responds "Moderator cut: Expletive deleted, why don't you head to Iowa with the rest of the whites." I know what an idiot! I was shocked.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-31-2012 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: I know that's what the woman said, but let's please not use explicit language that the filter blocks. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,105,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post
Today I was riding the BX22 in the morning, and this white man gets on the bus and asks the driver if the bus goes to Botanical Gardens. The driver says yes and the man sits down halfway through the ride this black woman explodes and says "If you don't like my hair, then why don't you guys me a weave." The white man replies back and says "what are you talking about?" She responds ", why don't you head to Iowa with the rest of the whites." I know what an idiot! I was shocked.
If I was that white guy I would of told her why don't you go back to Georgia or Mississippi or sweet home Alabama.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-31-2012 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 03-24-2012, 07:40 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,272,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxguyanese View Post
if i was that white guy i would of told her why don't you go back to georgia or mississippi or sweet home alabama.
loool!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:01 PM

669 posts, read 1,276,604 times
I have not noticed any legitimate racial tension here at least compared to the rest of the country, it's mostly class. If you look like some high class yuppie in the wrong neighborhood you'll prob get robbed regardless of race. And if your a poor ghetto white person living in the hood the blacks and hispanics are not gonna target you.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,682,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post
Today I was riding the BX22 in the morning, and this white man gets on the bus and asks the driver if the bus goes to Botanical Gardens. The driver says yes and the man sits down halfway through the ride this black woman explodes and says "If you don't like my hair, then why don't you buy me a weave." The white man replies back and says "what are you talking about?" She responds ", why don't you head to Iowa with the rest of the whites." I know what an idiot! I was shocked.
Somehow I don't buy your story.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-31-2012 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 03-25-2012, 12:47 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,574,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
I have not noticed any legitimate racial tension here at least compared to the rest of the country, it's mostly class. If you look like some high class yuppie in the wrong neighborhood you'll prob get robbed regardless of race. And if your a poor ghetto white person living in the hood the blacks and hispanics are not gonna target you.
^^^^ this. It's probably what I hated the absolute most living as a white person in West Harlem. I always had to be super careful about how I dressed and presented myself as to not make myself a target. Honestly, the more I think about it I realize it was a living hell.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,567,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
If I was that white guy I would of told her why don't you go back to Georgia or Mississippi or sweet home Alabama.
LOL. I get your point, but you know most blacks in NYC and most East Coast cities like Newark and Philly usually have fam coming from Virginia, the Carolinas, Florida and Georgia. It's not as common to people whose roots go to Alabama or Mississippi, though they exist. If you want to find black people whose roots come from Alabama and Mississippi, you gotta go to the Midwest cities of Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit. They got a lot of Southern influences in their accents.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:56 PM

5 posts, read 35,463 times
its not fair to say NYC has racial tension as a whole, there are areas such as crown heights, brooklyn or east NY brooklyn that ive heard about i stay near 145th and broadway in hamilton heights and im half white/half dominican and i dont see any racial tension i do see hella black on black crimes and so forth but thats way more common than racial tension IMO

Old 03-25-2012, 04:38 PM

877 posts, read 2,016,219 times
There are definitely still racial tensions but probably not as bad as the 70s-90s (I wasn't alive during the 70s & 80s so I wouldn't know). I think because neighborhoods are so diverse nowadays, people eventually had to cope with one another.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 PM

5,001 posts, read 8,234,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qballthekid View Post
its not fair to say NYC has racial tension as a whole, there are areas such as crown heights, brooklyn or east NY brooklyn that ive heard about i stay near 145th and broadway in hamilton heights and im half white/half dominican and i dont see any racial tension i do see hella black on black crimes and so forth but thats way more common than racial tension IMO

You're from northern california I take it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City