Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 AM

205 posts, read 977,493 times

Advertisements

It's been 10 months that I have been on the preliminary waiting list (to find out if im eligible for housing). My priority is N8. Does anyone know how much longer I have to wait for an interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 01:03 PM

882 posts, read 1,369,473 times
Hi CityGirl13! There's really no way of determining how long the wait will be. Applicants are randomly selected by their computer system for eligibility interviews as anticipated vacancies arise. Your household demographic (whether it's you by yourself or with others and whether there are any respective apartment sizes vacant for your household) and your priority may affect this as well.

From the NYCHA website regarding N8 priority:

N-8 PRIORITY
Families who do not qualify for a Need Based Preference and are not now renting either a New York City Housing Authority public housing or Section 8 apartment.

Families who do not live, work or have a commitment for a job in New York City.

So your need based priority is not very high. Were you assigned a working priority as well? My priority is W1 and I have an interview this Friday. i re-applied in August "11 and got the letter for the interview in December. however, i believe this speedy response was due to the fact my family size changed from 1 to 2 (i had a baby in April) because i was on the waiting list for a few years as a single person. Single people are first considered for studios which makes the wait pretty long. a family of size 2 will get called for a 1 bedroom or 2 bdrm dependent on the age of the child so im guessing those apartments have more vacancies then studios. While you wait check out affordable housing lotteries with HPD and be sure to send in a new application to nycha every year to maintain your place on the waiting list. Good luck!

Last edited by NiniCakes; 01-10-2012 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: left out a few words

Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 AM

3 posts, read 50,859 times
DO AA=immediate occupancy really mean you can get into NYCHA faster? how bad is sack wern PJS...

Old 01-17-2012, 11:40 AM

I shouldnt be priority N8 because I work. I should be priority W1. They have me down as not working. even though I put that
I work. No wonder Ive been waiting so long. I have to fill out a new application so that they can fix the priority. wow lol At least now I know I wont be waiting so long once they fix it.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM

226 posts, read 1,097,623 times
Hello,i applied for nycha in april 2011 and was about 2 months pregro...i had my beautiful baby in novemeber and am still waiting to get an interview..my priority is w2. I know i have to apply again being that they sent me a letter saying i have to apply after a year if still no response and to remain on the waiting list. Should i apply through the mail again or go to the office and apply. Would i get a better response if i go to the office instead of mailing the application in. Ninicakes,which borough did you apply for to get a quicker response and im now concidered 2 instead of a single family.

Last edited by MzINeedNYCHA; 01-17-2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 AM

I think sending the application in through the mail is suffice; some of the workers at the actual housing authority office are less than friendly as i witnessed their interactions with others when i went in for my interview (thank God my worker was nice!) Just mail the application in 3 months before the year mark so that by the time the year mark hits, the application will be in the system (it takes about 3 months for them to process it for some reason). I put Manhattan as my first borough of choice and the Bronx as my second. I know everyone says Manhattan and Queens have the longest waiting lists but if i'm going to live in NYCHA I will ONLY live in Manhattan! After my interview, I received a letter this past Friday requesting a copy of a utility bill and a copy of the lease for the apartment i'm staying in which I have to send in by February 12th. I'm assuming once I do that and the background checks come back for me, they will send me the list of buildings with vacancies so that I can choose one. I'm also a family of 2, my son is 9.5 months old

Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 42,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truefam67 View Post
DO AA=immediate occupancy really mean you can get into NYCHA faster? how bad is sack wern PJS...
very bad i dnt live far from da pj's its right across from monroe pj's sum1 is always getting killed

Old 02-06-2012, 02:51 PM

Hi All! Just checking in to see if anyone's gotten any updates on their process. I just mailed the requested docs back to nycha last week (i had gotten so busy that I almost forgot to!) so now i'll see what happens next in the next couple of weeks then come back here to post about it.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 AM

Still waiting for my preliminary interview. I just put in a new application. They received it pretty quick. Lets see how long it takes.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Due to the recession and budget cuts, I thought Section 8 was closed and not accepting any new applicants? Also heard the waiting list is closed too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City