Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 12:05 AM

7 posts, read 23,228 times

Advertisements

Will be graduating from Florida A&M University in Tallahassee, FLorida soon. I am looking for something different and have always been attracted to NYC I need your help. Would you consider NYC to be a good place for a young professional(preferably architecture) to start a career. Taking into account, Night Life, Affordability, Single Scene, Afro-Entertainment, Overall City Rating, etc. HELPP!!!!...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 06:31 AM

314 posts, read 492,778 times
there are posts and thread here that address similar issues. to reiterate, this is the most competitive city in the u.s. there is a higher concentration of ivy grads here than anywhere in the nation. all of them are very smart and well educated, and many have made invaluable connections. unfortunately, many take these facts to be 'intimidation tactics' and the defensive knee-jerk reaction is along the lines of "i'm not scared" or "i can compete with the best of them." please try to avoid reading those facts as character challenges. with that disclaimer, here is the reality. one, no one is going to be impressed with your Florida A&M degree. if you do get an interview, you will be asked to justify attending that school. two, unless you graduated in the top 10% of your class, you stand little chance. most ivy grads here graduated in the top 15% of their class. three, you write 'preferably architecture.' did you major in architecture? if not, architecture is not an option. four, you need to start contacting firms now. arriving without a job and hoping to find one is a poor choice. five, if you are looking outside architecture, the above still applies to all professional fields.

many here may give you feel-good advice. "you're young, eager, and motivated....follow your dreams", "go ahead; take a chance", etc. follow it at your peril, as it is based more on emotion than reason. i do not recommend you coming here, unless you already have a job here in a field that you want to work in. if that happens, come back to this forum and we can talk about places to live, night life, etc. if it doesn't, get a job in that field in your area. after 5 years, start looking in nyc. if your resume evinces increasing responsibility, promotions, employer confidence, etc., then you will have a much greater chance of getting a job here.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:56 AM

479 posts, read 879,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
after 5 years, start looking in nyc. if your resume evinces increasing responsibility, promotions, employer confidence, etc., then you will have a much greater chance of getting a job here.
W/O covertly telling the OP that their degree is useless in NYC I agree with this portion of your statement. I suggest you move to the nearest big market in Fla. (Miami,Tampa,Orlando even Jacksonville) and begin your career there and make a name for yourself. After 3-5 years then you can shoot resumes up to the NYC since you will have experience to lean on and hiring managers will base their decisions on your performance rather than which school you attended. Have you done any internships or know professors in the field with connections to NYC who you can network with?

As to whether NYC is for young black professionals the answer is yes and no. If you are looking for culture,nightlife and entertainment then yes NYC is second to none. But if you plan on home ownership and starting a family then you should know that the black professionals are moving out of NYC.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,980 times
If you are into architecture, I say go to Chicago. That is the home of the 1st skyscraper, if i'm not mistaken. Chicago knocks the socks off NYC in terms of the beatiful architecture. It is a major city, good job market and less expensive than NYC. Coming from Florida, I think you might feel more comfortable in Chicago than NY--but the winter might be an issue.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:28 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
Go to a boom town and start your career there

Isnt Miami going through a building boom right now?

Why not look there?

If you build a name for yourself there, why even bother coming here?

Coming to NYC is not gonna make or break you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City