Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:53 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times

Advertisements

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/...ve_a_Heart.jpg

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-09-2012 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: Copyright issue - links, please, when the image is not your own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM

31 posts, read 70,162 times
Last time I had to give a low life money I work 10 or 11 hours/day for and pay taxes on was when my car was trapped in traffic and had to give a squeegee bum $1 NOT to do my windows.

If it's an aggressive beggar, I just say "no" and keep walking. Their bodies are so ravaged by drugs and alcohol that my 4 year old niece could beat them up.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Default Nada, nothing, zero

I dislike the begging (however you care to call it) so I will not reward it.

(and no, I am NOT my brother's keeper, nor do I believe that it is merely luck or the grace of God that I am not one of the beggars. Though if it is just the latter, He's one mean SOB)

Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I never give to street people, but have no problem with other forms of charity.

On my birthday once I was taking the train to meet my ex on the east side and some lady got on and started her rant about needing money for her kids. I didn't even turn around and apparently that pissed her off so when she got to me, she pushed me pretty hard. I pushed her right back and knocked her into a seat. Apparently most of the car approved because they started laughing and no one said a word to me. And I'm not a big guy so it wasn't because of that. Don't try to demand my money, that don't fly, male or female. It's very close to the definition of robbery and I'll definitely respond in kind.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 PM

31 posts, read 70,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
nor do I believe that it is merely luck or the grace of God that I am not one of the beggars
It is luck or the grace of god. All you need to do to become a beggar/homeless bum is stop showing up for work, not do any work at work, ignore your boss, get addicted to drugs and/or alcohol, show up for work on drugs/alcohol, or engage in any other inappropriate or immoral behavior at work then refuse to look for a new job after you are fired.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I don't see myself as lucky just because none of those decisions you listed above have suddenly crossed my mind as being appropriate in some way. If you want to prove the 'luck' angle, you need better examples. Avoiding what you listed above is called being responsible, mature, and professional, not lucky.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,179 times
@StaggerLee22
That's a funny pic (the photoshopped one) but it's also a sad picture (the real one), I saw the actual video...it wasn't pretty. (I'm sure you have seen it too)

But back on topic, I once saw 3 homeless old black guys singing in the metro carts and step dancing to a joyful church melody. Because of their entertainment and positive, lighthearted vibe people laughed and immediately gave them change. A middle eastern woman even gave them literally a handful of quarters. They walked in smiling and left smiling. They gave me the impression that you can be homeless and still have fun and be happy.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 PM

9 posts, read 22,078 times
I used to frequently see a lady on the train who claimed to live in a homeless shelter with a 12 year old daughter and a 13? year old son. Seemed pretty legit, until I saw her again a few years later and her two children stayed the same age.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 PM

95 posts, read 259,560 times
No money, much less to the performers on the trains...they aren't even original, I've been seeing the same thing for years. I laughed once with this comedian who was selling his books as well, that was nice. I have given homeless/beggars food in the past, at times i've gotten a huge foot long from subway only to see someone hungry so i sacrifice half my sandwich...to which I also tell them to be careful with the jalapeños. Or even when I leave a restaurant with food in a doggie bag, just give it to the homeless on the train. This guy once looked at me in awe, after I not only helped him carry his whole cart up some stairs but then give him tupperwear full of mash,veggies and shrimp.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 PM

409 posts, read 497,586 times
I'm gonna be honest, I used to care when I was a child. But now, turning 20, with a job and all. I can't bring myself to give 2 you know whats about them. Why, because now that I have my own source of money, I finally can buy all the **** I want. I already pledged 225 USD of my Budget for the 3 Madoka Magika LE Volumes, approx. ,80 USD for the entirety of SHIKI, 20 for Corpse Party, 90 for Gungir and Growlanser 4, and well you get the point.

Not too mention this (Rise Kujikawa) [hasn't shipped yet MASSIVE delays or something, should run me 90 bucks since the exchange rates gotten better]

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...a_4_figure.jpg

and this (Catherine) [cost me 110.35 USD after yen conversion and shipping)

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig16/10160860.jpg

has eaten about 1/4 or 1/3 of my discretionary funds while the rest will go into a savings account and a newly opened Roth IRA so I can stop wasting money. Not too mention textbooks and food.

So sorry poor Homeless people. (Same thing applies for the African Children BS) . Really sucks to be you.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3151/2...8410bef1f6.jpg

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-09-2012 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City