Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,925 times

Advertisements

I've seen the many different types. From the down and out on a staircase with a cup, head slumped over to the guy with the guitar on the train looking for change. Who do you tend to give to? Do reward them for just doing something or do you want someone talented?

I have always complained that the people that just ask for a handout irritate me. Not including the crazies that have no clue where they are, I only give to people that try SOMETHING to entertain me. A sob story doesn't count. Play an instrument, dance, recite poetry, make a picture. Something that doesn't say, hey give me your cash for nothing in return. At least I was entertained for a tiny portion of my day and I can forget the fact that you will probably go buy crack with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 11:02 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,698,153 times
When visiting I do whatever I can to avoid situations like that. You never know when somebodies going to just pull a gun/knife on you. I do think the people who do some type of art or music are worthy of giving something to.

Just a thought/advice to tourist who aren't used to experiencing things like this. Never come out of a store while putting your money way. Don't let people from the outside see that you have cash. Think of excuses in case you're caught off guard. "I don't carry cash on me". Anytime somebody comes up to you just ignore them because they will start to tell you a story about how they are hurting for money and there family is suffering. Just say "no thank you" and keep walking.

*If* you do feel like you'd sometimes like to help out. Keep a quarter or two in your pocket for that exact reason. Don't ever go digging into your wallet. If you keep some spare change in your pocket and they ask you or you want to help out you can quickly reach in, pull it out, seeya later bye.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,088,492 times
[quote=skilldeadly;23778938]
......... Not including the crazies that have no clue where they are........../QUOTE]

There is one such person who hangs out by the subway stop in my neighborhood.He is the only one who I give money to and I do so frequently.I can't really explain why but for some reason I think he is worthy.Something to do with perceived sincerity. I like to keep it in the neighborhood.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,710 times
I saw this stumbling old guy with a cane who couldn't even mumble out coherent sentences get snubbed by a bunch of millionaires on the upper east side the other day. I gave him a couple bucks.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:11 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,817,043 times
Aren't those who are 'crazy and don't know where they are....' the most worthy of your charity?

Aren't such people the most incapable of helping themselves and least capable of ENTERTAINING you?

Why is it that those most incapable are most irritating?

I think it most logical, that those most capable w/b most able of extracting largesse from those with the most ignorant personal prejudice.

For example, those with the greatest mental deficiency w/b be the least capable of ENTERTAINING you. While those with the greatest mental capacity w/b the most capable of ENTERTAINING you.

Yet, which is truly in most need of your aid?

Prejudice will always blind one to what is true.

Last edited by jcoltrane; 04-09-2012 at 11:31 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,819,071 times
Default Would it reallllly kill you to give a dollar once in a while?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,817,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
When visiting I do whatever I can to avoid situations like that. You never know when somebodies going to just pull a gun/knife on you.
Oh yeah, WHY has this NEVER occurred, especially on a crowded subway?

3am, maybe; 3pm, never heard of.

Tourist fantasies gone wild....

Btw, a "quarter" really???

You are likely to be knifed for being insultingly cheap!

Old 04-09-2012, 11:37 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,414,359 times
I will give change to a street performer, but will not pull out my wallet to do so, so it depends upon what I have in my pocket

For those in need, I offer to buy a meal/water/juice/coffee/groceries/etc., but may or may not give them the money directly as I do not want to contribute to any addictions. Generally, I try to have a few McDonald's gift cards on hand to give to people who might need a meal. I just have to remember to buy them as i do not go to McDonald's too often. I have yet to be refused when I offer one to someone who asks for money to buy food. And, if I get scammed once in a while as we all do, I'd rather pay the scam tax to the scammer than ignore someone who is truly in need.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,920,945 times
I give them expired metro cards.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,691,460 times
my two favorite beggars : this one kid, i guess hes a kid..and his same line is "i'm having a really hard time right now..and if you could..like...spear some change" i have ran into him 3 times on the same trains in september january and then again in june.

my other favorite is this guy that says "don't judge me ladies and gentlemen" and he puts on a hot pink wig and his friend have a radio and they breakdance..people usually donate to that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City