Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 01:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
A trains run every ten minutes...in Manhattan. In order to achieve this with two different branches, there are trains leaving the terminals at Far Rockaway and Lefferts Boulevard at 20-minute intervals. If you substituted a regular C service out of Lefferts, you'd have increased service, not decreased, since the C runs on an 8- 10- or 12-minute headway (depending upon the time of day).

And that doesn't involve spending any extra money--simply switching the routes.
* Extending the (C) out to Lefferts Blvd requires extra sets (on the (C)) than keeping it at Euclid Avenue, unless you increase the headways.

* Those extra trainsets would have to come from the (A) trains that formerly went to Lefferts Blvd.

* However, those trains used to run all the way from 207th Street to Lefferts Blvd, so you have reduced service on the mainline (A).

* Plus, you need even more trainsets because it's a longer distance from Rockaway Blvd-Far Rockaway vs. Rockaway Blvd to Lefferts Blvd, degrading mainline (A) service further.

* So unless something happens to justify extra service on the Rockaway Branch (enough to restore mainline (A) service at its current levels), it's best to keep the service as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
The point is that the MTA doesn't have enough train sets to run the C out of Lefferts at its current headway, so they'd have to take some from the A.
Bingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
I always thought there should be subway service to Yonkers or to New Rochelle, personally. I don't know why the people up there aren't calling for it...or are they? I honestly don't know.
Because the subway doesn't leave the city limits. It'd take too long anyway.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
I always thought there should be subway service to Yonkers or to New Rochelle, personally. I don't know why the people up there aren't calling for it...or are they? I honestly don't know.
You're 75 years late! The New York, Westchester & Boston Railroad ran from East 180 Street in The Bronx to New Rochelle (that was the first part of the line opened. Unfortunately, it ceased operations in 1937 without ever having made it all the way to Boston).

By the way, Checkmatechamp, just out of curiosity--do you work for Transit?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You're 75 years late! The New York, Westchester & Boston Railroad ran from East 180 Street in The Bronx to New Rochelle (that was the first part of the line opened. Unfortunately, it ceased operations in 1937 without ever having made it all the way to Boston).

By the way, Checkmatechamp, just out of curiosity--do you work for Transit?
No hes a buff like me and 30,000+ other buffs in this region...

Old 04-12-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
No hes a buff like me and 30,000+ other buffs in this region...
^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
What's a buff?

Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
What's a buff?
It means that discussing transit is a hobby for us.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
What's a buff?
There called Rail or Transit fanners in North America , Train/Busspotters in Europe and Train / Bus Chasers down under....

-Photography's or Videotapes Trains of all kinds or Buses

-Anybody who Documents with detail trains and buses from the outside windows to the motor

-Anybody who documents stations , bridges , switches , tunnels and signals for Hobby

-Anybody who documents train movements or types of trains for a hobby

-Anybody who documents belongs to a railway model club or collects model trains or buses is a buff

-We also document the various sounds of the subway , train or bus....like seen below

NYC Subway Special: Rare New Technology Train Announcements - YouTube

R160 (Q) Train To 21 St-Queensbridge Announcements via 63rd St (F) Line - YouTube

LIRR Action Under the Moon in Mineola - YouTube

Early Evening NJT and Amtrak trains @ Newark Penn Station - YouTube

Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There called Rail or Transit fanners in North America , Train/Busspotters in Europe and Train / Bus Chasers down under....

-Photography's or Videotapes Trains of all kinds or Buses

-Anybody who Documents with detail trains and buses from the outside windows to the motor

-Anybody who documents stations , bridges , switches , tunnels and signals for Hobby

-Anybody who documents train movements or types of trains for a hobby

-Anybody who documents belongs to a railway model club or collects model trains or buses is a buff

-We also document the various sounds of the subway , train or bus....like seen below
I don't really do any of that stuff. I'm more into studying the actual routings and things like that. I actually attended a few MTA meetings and sent some proposals (which they twisted around and said they were no good even though I proved that the changes would work and benefit the customers at no extra cost. )

Old 04-14-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I don't really do any of that stuff. I'm more into studying the actual routings and things like that. I actually attended a few MTA meetings and sent some proposals (which they twisted around and said they were no good even though I proved that the changes would work and benefit the customers at no extra cost. )
That would make you a Transit Advocate which theres 20,000+ of those in this region...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City