Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:33 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,615,552 times

Advertisements

You might want to check out neighborhoods in the outer boroughs. Housing is cheaper, you may have a better parking situation with your car, and the atmosphere may be less intense than Manhattan. Unless you're rich you won't be able to afford Manhattan anyway. Some outer borough hoods are more "suburban" or somewhere in between suburban and urban, which might suit you. And you'll get more space for your money.

Good idea though to visit and see for yourself how you feel before you take the plunge. And do some research into the city as well as the opportunities available for you in the music industry. Since you're not a performer, I think the chances to make it in PR etc are better but it might take awhile. There are marketing jobs in lots of fields which you might wish to start with if you can't get your dream job right away to get some management experience. Take a look at the NY Times online Sunday classified to get an idea of openings in marketing/PR etc. If you can survive on a relatively low starting salary, you may like it here, but you won't be able to live a Sex and the City lifestyle unless/until you make it "big."

As far as the weather--I personally think that global warming is affecting us big time. The summers are more brutal and the winters more mild than I remember. Just dress warmly--wear a hat in the winter!--and you'll probably be able to adjust unless you are one of those folks who absolutely can't endure any cold weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 10:21 AM

18 posts, read 45,963 times
yea, i'm definitely not moving overseas...i'm staying here in the good ol US...and the two BEST cities for music are LA and NY....i've gotten pretty positive feedback, i even have friends in the industry up there....i'm sure i could take it....thats a tough statement for you to make with you not knowing me at all....

Old 09-16-2007, 10:42 AM

well, i have family on the east coast and i dont want to move across the country so LA is not an option. i don't think i have "doubts" per se...i have concerns bc i'm not familiar with the city. and upon addressing my concerns, i can decide if i can deal with them or if they ARE in fact too big to overcome. headstrong and confidence are 2 qualities that i strongly possess. i dont forsee that being a problem either. i'm not into music production, i am not looking to work only in a specific genre. i am interested in music business period so it leaves my options open a bit.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:52 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,326,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaFlav View Post
yea, i'm definitely not moving overseas...i'm staying here in the good ol US...and the two BEST cities for music are LA and NY....i've gotten pretty positive feedback, i even have friends in the industry up there....i'm sure i could take it....thats a tough statement for you to make with you not knowing me at all....
Sorry If I offended. It's just you seemed a little unsure about moving here. That's why I didn't recommend it for you.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 PM

no hard feelings. i AM unsure, hence my questions and investigating the area. i was unsure before i moved to orlando, i was unsure before i did a lot of things. you know, it's human nature....i'm gonna come to ny though, before i make any decisions anyway....

Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,306 times
Girl i feel u!!!!! Im moving from the very small town of Lynchburg, VA to Washington D.C. and im scared sh*tless. but heres the thing, yes its gonna be expensive in NYC. No you cant afford it. But do you wana be 65yrs old and look back when you were younger and think, damn, i wonder what would have been if i had taken a chance...so do what im gonna do, jump in feet first, and learn to swim!!!! God has the life raft in case you start to drown. Good Luck!!!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,721,760 times
Gotta love people who use tough, urban-sounding screen names...but admit they're scared half to death of the big city!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:34 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,834,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Gotta love people who use tough, urban-sounding screen names...but admit they're scared half to death of the big city!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,454,844 times
lol good luck with that cuz.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:09 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,627,604 times
If you're basing your perception of this city on what you've seen in the movies and on TV, you will be sorely disappointed. If you check other threads, you'll see we've all said at numerous times that life here is nothing like Sex and the City or Friends, or insert whatever show or tv lies about life here. Hell even CSI: New York is off in a lot of ways.

While it's been said LA is more music oriented than NYC is these days, we're trying to give you the reality others might not. It's not for everyone. There's plenty of people who move here and can't hack it and move back home to mom and dad. Competition here is cut throat for everything from jobs to apartments.

You will likely have to live with roommates starting out, and it might be in a gentrifying area depending on your budget. Most can't afford the rents here to live alone when they are fresh out of college.

As for winter, while this one was mild, people forget last year we had a snowstorm every week from the end of December to March it felt like.

Like others said, I would say visit first. See how you like it. There's nothing worse than moving first to a place sight unseen and getting burned in the process. Like this woman for instance: http://gothamist.com/2012/03/12/ladi...ty_charact.php

Last edited by Miss J 74; 03-20-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City