Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 AM

4 posts, read 18,003 times

Advertisements

Hi, just wanted to see if anyone here had similar situation?

I have a tenant who didn't extend the lease contract with me and now, couple months later he is leaving the place (he bought his own place and he is renovating ) but he doesn't want to give 30 day notice or give me exact day when is he moving out. He pays rent on time and everything is in good terms.

What should i do ? Can i force him to give me the 30 day notice ? I really can't find new tenant without letting them know when the property will be available !

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 07:16 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,133,008 times
I'm not certain about New York state rental laws, however I believe once you let your lease expire your on a month to month which depending on the state means you need to give a 30 day notice.
I don't understand why this point is an issue for your tenant especially since you have been kind enough to allow him to stay without a new lease agreement. My thinking is whoever is doing the renovations (himself or contractor) can't seem to judge when everything will be completed. You should check with Housing in New York but I believe you may be able to keep his security deposit if he doesn't give you 30 days.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:42 AM

168 posts, read 349,531 times
Even without a lease, he has to give you 30 days' notice. What is his endgame, only paying a partial month's rent and/or living out his security? Nope. He still has to pay the full month in lieu of notice if he decides to leave early, unless you agree otherwise. And if he leaves you high and dry, he doesn't get his security back because without warning, you're out a month's rent while you look for another tenant.

I'm moving, and also don't have a lease. I plan to give my landlord a month and a half notice (on April 15th for June 1st) and ask him if he'd rather I just live out my security. He's not a management company, he's just a guy renting out an apartment in his house. It might be easier for him to just not collect for May as opposed to paying out a month's rent. Unless of course he plans to stiff me for my security, as landlords almost always tend to do...

Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,557 times
Security is for damage to and repairs to the property. Not really for living out the last month's rent. Why doesn't the OP give the tenant 30 days' notice that the month to month is being terminated and you can advertise for a new tenant with a set start date.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Why doesn't the OP give the tenant 30 days' notice that the month to month is being terminated and you can advertise for a new tenant with a set start date.
That is an excellent idea!!

Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Thats what I would do...give the guy 30 days notice of termination since there is no lease. Problem solved.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Thats what I would do...give the guy 30 days notice of termination since there is no lease. Problem solved.
Unless he decides to hold out and refuse to leave until he's good and ready, in which case it will take court proceedings to get him out.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuptut View Post
Hi, just wanted to see if anyone here had similar situation?

I have a tenant who didn't extend the lease contract with me and now, couple months later he is leaving the place (he bought his own place and he is renovating ) but he doesn't want to give 30 day notice or give me exact day when is he moving out. He pays rent on time and everything is in good terms.

What should i do ? Can i force him to give me the 30 day notice ? I really can't find new tenant without letting them know when the property will be available !

Thanks
Have you talked to your tenant, told him your concerns, and worked out an agreement with him that regardless of whether or not his new place is finished, you are moving in a new tenant on such and such a date?

It seems to me that your tenant is an amiable guy, since you trusted him enough to not extend his lease and just let him go month to month. GO TALK TO HIM.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,922 times
Agreed with the other guys here.

Give him a 30 days notice to vacate the apartment. If he doesn't then tell him that you'll start court proceedings ASAP.
If he leaves without paying for the entire month or doesn't pay for the last month at all, then hold the security deposit and take him to small-claims court.
He has assests (new place right?) so I doubt he'll give you trouble after he receives something from the court.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 AM

197 posts, read 517,826 times
Not sure how long you've been dealing with tenants for, but if the worst you have to deal with is the tenant not giving you a 30 day notice, then you are still in a good spot. Trying to "make" him give you 30-day notice, or making him vacate within 30 days, etc.... can wind up costing you more than it's worth if they guy is a jerk.

What if he decides to just stop paying, he could spend months not paying, you spend $$ on court, etc... and in the end never wind up recouping your money. Jmo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City