Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, none of the buildings in midtown clean themselves. And none of the retaurants and stores are totally automated. And the shoe shine stands are not self-service. It takes a support structure for millionaires to make their millions (although the millionaires tend to forget that). There are probably more poor people in midtown than there are millionaires.
Of course, but I asked how common is it for them to drive into the midtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
The major problem with this congestion pricing nonsense is that the trains will become an absolute disaster. If you think they get packed now, just wait. And if you trust the MTA to take any revenue they are given from it to theoretically improve service, then you're smokin rocks.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:30 PM

108 posts, read 285,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Of course, but I asked how common is it for them to drive into the midtown?

My point is that making people pay a flat rate to drive into midtown is purely a regressive tax. A person who makes $25k a year and needs to drive to midtown is spending a much larger portion of their disposable income than someone making $1M. Let the guy making $1M pay more.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:10 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Put 100% of b&t funds back towards roads and b&t, and problem solved.

Ooops, subway will go up to 3.50 a ride. So what? Let them pay it.

Drivers are sick of subsidizing everyone else in NYC. It is completely unfair.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:17 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Drivers subsidized by others? Lmao! Drivers are the most subsidized individuals on the road by far.

I'm tired of subsidizing a small minority in this city. Right now roughly 20% of workers drive to work in NYC. Congestion pricing will knock that down significantly after being implemented.

Like it or not congestion pricing is coming. It makes sense. There are a number of comparable cities already using it to fund mass transit.

Grvthang, Nei's point is very few people in the lower income bracket drive into the Manhattan CBDs, in fact I don't know any myself or even heard of such a thing. Even moderate and higher income people take the subway the vast majority of the time.

Likeminas, bike share opens in NYC this summer. More Bus lanes are coming along with our barebones BRT service called SBS.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Like it or not congestion pricing is coming.

It's when you make statements like these, which is often, that convinces me further that you work for the mayor.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Like it or not congestion pricing is coming. It makes sense. There are a number of comparable cities already using it to fund mass transit.
There are ZERO cities in the United States that do such.

Last time it came up to the state assembly they refused to look at the bill as it violates acts that allot federal highway funding.

The congestion charges are the MTA's BS tolls over the bridges & tunnels.

I don't see how you can say on one hand drivers are subsidized in NY, and then on the other say you need to tax them to keep buses and subways running.

80% of MTA tolls go towards public tranist.
0% of Subway and Bus fares go towards roads and infrastructure.

If the tolls went exclusively for drivers, the system would shut down overnight. Read up on your history about the TBTA and how it was absolved into the MTA by Robert Moses' choice.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
The USA is too autocentric for congestion pricing outside a few metros. NYC being the most readily equipped. Overseas, congestion pricing has proven to not only provide finding, but improve air quality and reduce traffic (and associated accidents).

Congestion pricing recieved overwhelming support in Manhattan, and inner Brooklyn/Bronx/Queens. Most opposition came from areas with little to no subway access like East Queens and A.D.

The infrastructure necessary to sustain our bridges, highways, extra, FAR outweighs that of pedestrians and bicycleist. Mass transit of course carries more people and therefore is more efficient then a private vehicle. Gas is largely subsidized and could easily be sold at European prices in NYC as it would not effect most residents. The tolls do not cover the expenses.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
My problem with congestion pricing is that it's as regressive as a tax can be, and hurts the poor while the rich are unscathed. What does a hedge fund manager care if you charge him $50 to go to midtown Manhattan? I say tax every limousine $500.
How so? There are plenty of mass transit options.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
A lot of the traffic is caused by cabs and trucks anyways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: