Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,611 times

Advertisements

hi all,
long story short moving back to nyc from la..seriously considering it. thing is i have a car owe alittle on that. i dont want to have a car in nyc for sure i know that not sure i want to live outside of nyc to keep car until i get settled then sell car there maybe. seems easier to pay off car here, sell here then move. seems like theres more jobs in NYC then LA. i do sales/account managing some team leading and consulting as well found a job quickly last time i was in NYC. just seeing what you would advice. thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinahead View Post
hi all,
long story short moving back to nyc from la..seriously considering it. thing is i have a car owe alittle on that. i dont want to have a car in nyc for sure i know that not sure i want to live outside of nyc to keep car until i get settled then sell car there maybe. seems easier to pay off car here, sell here then move. seems like theres more jobs in NYC then LA. i do sales/account managing some team leading and consulting as well found a job quickly last time i was in NYC. just seeing what you would advice. thanks..
What's wrong wit LA?

Old 05-14-2012, 03:32 PM

176 posts, read 978,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinahead View Post
hi all,
Plenty of my friends and family members moved back to NYC from other states. They claimed the housing market was great but the job market is terrible. I truly believe no other job market can compare to NYC.

If I were you I would move to the suburbs of Queens or Brooklyn so that way you will be able to keep your car. Trust me the amount of money you pay for public transportation here you might as well drive. I pay $104 a month just for an unlimited metro card! The trains are always crowded, filled with homeless people, rowdy kids and teenagers and you will be lucky if you get a seat. Not to mention there are numerous delays The buses are always packed and being that there's so much traffic the ride is so slow. I'm currently working on buying another car now because I'm tired of public transportation.

My advice to you is find a family member or close friend where you can stay until you find a job. Go to city agencies and take city exams, look online at job sites like career builder or yahoo jobs etc, find local job placement centers like "Workforce 1" to help you find jobs. Then once you get a job you can look for your own place etc. Good luck

Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
LA is huge. The job market I would imagine is not bad.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 AM

669 posts, read 1,274,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
LA is huge. The job market I would imagine is not bad.
But its not NY

Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 AM

555 posts, read 1,184,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
But its not NY

Old 05-16-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
But its not NY
Job market is way overrated in NYC. It's great in certain sectors (like law for instance) but otherwise it's crowded and hypercompetitive. I know for some people this is the place to be because they work in Finance and this is the epicenter of Finance so they have to try to make it here. It's great for employers though, they can have their pick and pay less. The average joe would do better in other places frankly.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-16-2012 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Job market is way overrated in NYC. It's great in certain sectors (like law for instance) but otherwise it's crowded and hypercompetitive. I know for some people this is the place to be because they work in Finance and this is the epicenter of Finance so they have to try to make it here. It's great for employers though, they can have their pick and pay less. The average joe would do better in other places frankly.
Not really so great in law. I work in law and the jobs are not as abundant as they used to be and the pay is much less. The stress level in this field is through the roof too, in most firms.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Not really so great in law. I work in law and the jobs are not as abundant as they used to be and the pay is much less. The stress level in this field is through the roof too, in my firms.
Lol, there you go, so that's one more to add to the list. I worked law for a bit too but this was before the recession. Lotsa of hours, tons of hours very stressful but back then they were spending money like water. Salaries were probably better.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,827 times
There's only really two job sectors that's hiring and one of them is about to go through round of big layoffs.

Finance - about to go through round of lay offs. Loss reported = layoffs
IT - specifically developers. other areas in IT in NYC isn't so hot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City