Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 AM

18 posts, read 58,328 times

Advertisements

hey everybody

I've made a few posts to the NJ City-Data forum, but this is my first here, and I hope to write more.

Briefly:

I am a lifelong resident of Columbus, Ohio--a fairly large but rather bland city in the Midwest, known mostly as a test market for new products and as a haven for obnoxious college-football fans--and am likely going to be moving to the greater NYC/northern New Jersey area within a year or two.

I have always had a hankering to move to NYC, since I am a creative person (ie not a rich kid who's just into posturing; I work as a graphic designer, am a semi-professional musician, and am interested in doing or being involved in art, photography, and movies professionally), and I am sick to death of life where I'm at. I considered moving to New York twice in the past, and was held back by fear, lack of money, attachment to family, etc.

My gf is from Roselle Park, NJ. She moved here two years ago, and wants to move back. She never really cared for Columbus anyway, although she's somewhat warmed to certain aspects of the place.

I like Roselle Park, and Union County in general. Seems like a nice place to live, and not too far from NYC. If I got a job in the city it'd be easy to get to (her sister who lives there commutes to a job in Manhattan).

But I also like NYC. I'd much rather live there, personally.

My gf insists that that's probably not realistic, that it'd be easier to live in NJ at first since it's cheaper, and maybe look into NYC later. Well, yes, it does seem marginally less expensive to rent in NJ (although still astronomical by Ohio standards) and I'm no yuppie, I'm rather a paycheck-to-paycheck guy even with a decade of professional experience under my belt. My fear is that a move to NYC will never happen. Commuting doesn't seem like it'd be the same, you know? Maybe I'm naive, but I really want to absorb the culture and the atmosphere of the city, and I don't know if that's possible living so far away.

One more thing, maybe irrelevant: I'm 33, and will likely be 34 or 35 by the time I move. Part of me already feels like an old geezer, and I have this goofy notion that NYC is best experienced by the young and single.

I guess my question is whether I should press for a move to NYC or content myself with NJ for at least a while, possibly commuting to a job. This may be a non-dilemma for all I know, but the whole move thing has been looming large in my mind for a while. I'd appreciate any seasoned New Yorkers' opinions, encouragement/warnings, cow jokes, or whatever, on this. Thanks in advance, folks.

cheers,

Billy S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 11:58 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,934 times
B-

I'm not a seasoned NYer, but before you make a cross-country move, take a look at Craiglist's job board - the NYC posts. The market for Graphic Designers is really, really tough if the comments are to be believed.

I'm in a completely different field, and have been searching for an administrative position in education (analyst) for 9 months. I've been told by people on this very forum that there is major bias in recruitment that negatively affects people in the "bridge and tunnel" crowd, i.e., non borough residents with non-borough experience.

I never thought I'd have a problem trying to find a job in one of the most populated cities in the U.S. This has been a devastating, humbling experience. Be aware before you commit your finances.

I sure do get your dream.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
I dont thing you will like NJ, it is much different than OHIO. I went to school out in PA, and i guessing you guys are the same.

Do you know where you will work because that is the most important of all?

You say you do not like columbus, but let me tell you there is no place like home.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I dont thing you will like NJ, it is much different than OHIO. I went to school out in PA, and i guessing you guys are the same.
Well, I'll take my chances with that. It's definitely a case of imminent culture shock, but I've visited enough times to know what to expect.

Quote:
Do you know where you will work because that is the most important of all?
Not yet, although I want to try to move into freelance design and possibly photography. I suppose I'd like to take a break from the office-institutional routine and make a living my own way for a change, and perhaps get paid close to what I'm worth in the bargain. Judging from what I've read in other threads, I may just start off in NJ while I get myself established, finances stabilized, etc. NYC, especially Manhattan, sounds almost impossible to get a foothold in as an out-of-towner.

Quote:
You say you do not like columbus, but let me tell you there is no place like home.
True. I expect to be very homesick because I've actually lived in the same 2-block radius my entire life, and I still live a block away from my parents (my house is the same one my family lived in when I was born). I'm just ready to experience something different and hopefully more exciting. I'm burned out on Ohio State this and Buckeyes that...and besides, my gf is moving back east regardless. :-P

cheers

Billy S.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
B-

I'm not a seasoned NYer, but before you make a cross-country move, take a look at Craiglist's job board - the NYC posts. The market for Graphic Designers is really, really tough if the comments are to be believed.

I'm in a completely different field, and have been searching for an administrative position in education (analyst) for 9 months. I've been told by people on this very forum that there is major bias in recruitment that negatively affects people in the "bridge and tunnel" crowd, i.e., non borough residents with non-borough experience.

I never thought I'd have a problem trying to find a job in one of the most populated cities in the U.S. This has been a devastating, humbling experience. Be aware before you commit your finances.

I sure do get your dream.
Yay. :-(

cheers

Billy S.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:07 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
Working piecemeal in NY metro can be tough

Old 09-22-2007, 09:12 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
Graphic design and photography are so digital nowadays that you might be able to telecommute as a freelancer for a NYC firm while you're still in Ohio--I don't know. Universities and other nonprofits generally have PR, advertising, and publications offices that might be easier to break into than commercial firms. If you have an online portfolio, that might help. Or at least, start doing research/inquiries while you're still there to get some feelers out. You might try searching the job listings for places like NYU, Columbia, etc online to see what's out there. Often university admin jobs also provide free tuition, which is a nice deal, and good benefits.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:20 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
An important factor to consider is what your salary will be, and if your g/f will work, what her likely salary will be. Living paycheck to paycheck and renting is kind of an iffy proposition, though I guess many do it. Comparable salaries may be higher here, but cost of living is also higher.

The outer boroughs are usually cheaper, but the safer areas are usually farther from Manhattan so the commute might be similar to NJ either way.

If you determine you can save up some money living in NJ first, that might help. Coops in some parts of the Bronx, and even Riverdale, Norwood, or Woodlawn (safer areas) are a good deal now (110K and up). If family can loan you money for a down payment, it'll probably be cheaper than rent. But you still need to have a steady income and good credit to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: