Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 06:41 AM

55 posts, read 324,744 times

Advertisements

We all know about the TV shows.. Selling new York, Million Dollar Listing, etc BUT are all Manhattan apartments that expensive to purchase? I think these shows do not highlight the numerous properties that Manhattan's middle class live in.

This got me wondering if buying an apartment in MANHATTAN is doable on a $100K/yr salary. I hear property taxes are relatively low (compared to other USA big cities). What is the average maintenance/ HOA/ Condo fee per month for a Manhattan apartment? How much (ON AVERAGE) do utilities cost for 2 people, etc?

Can anyone tell me the average cost of a newish Manhattan apartment (stainless steel, wood floors, modern, etc) in the various parts of the city? UES, UWS, Chelsea, Tribeca, the rest.

Also, are there any pitfalls to owning a Manhattan apt/condo?

Please PM me if you don't want to post your answer here.

thanks
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 07:04 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
So few people own here because currently the cost of ownership in 1 lifetime may exceed the cost of renting.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:56 AM

82 posts, read 218,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panam View Post
We all know about the TV shows.. Selling new York, Million Dollar Listing, etc BUT are all Manhattan apartments that expensive to purchase? I think these shows do not highlight the numerous properties that Manhattan's middle class live in.

This got me wondering if buying an apartment in MANHATTAN is doable on a $100K/yr salary. I hear property taxes are relatively low (compared to other USA big cities). What is the average maintenance/ HOA/ Condo fee per month for a Manhattan apartment? How much (ON AVERAGE) do utilities cost for 2 people, etc?

Can anyone tell me the average cost of a newish Manhattan apartment (stainless steel, wood floors, modern, etc) in the various parts of the city? UES, UWS, Chelsea, Tribeca, the rest.

thanks
Cheers
The answer to your question about how much a typical newish apartment in Manhattan costs is easy. Go to Streeteasy.com and look at the median prices on the first page.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:19 PM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
Quote:
Oh Yah. You're an owner, not a renter, so walking away if you want to or need to is a completely different affair.

Having repairs or maintenance done to your apartment is sometimes not just a matter of calling the super or landlord like it is in a rental--you OWN it, just like a house, you are responsible. Sometimes with damage or repairs (say a water leak) it's not clear who is responsible, you, a neighbor, or the co-op/condo. It has the potential to get unpleasant.

If you end up not liking your neighbors, you're stuck! If you are a renter you can just live out your lease and move.

Some buildings are better managed than others. A poor managment company can make your life miserable if you or the building as a whole needs something done. If self-managed, you will find some people willing to pitch in and others who won't lift a finger in managing the building's affairs.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Do you know the size of unit you would prefer? #Bedrooms/bathrooms? If you want a condo, that comes at a price premium over a comparable co-op, though the type of building you seek is more than likely going to be a condo, unless it's a fully renovated co-op. Prices are all over the map, by size of unit, and neighborhood, in general terms, though prices within the neighborhoods, and even within a building can vary as well.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-20-2012, 07:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
We all know about the TV shows.. Selling new York, Million Dollar Listing, etc BUT are all Manhattan apartments that expensive to purchase?

NO, they are NOT. Those shows are PURE real estate hype.
" Ohhhh, let's put on a kiddie fashion show to get the "right" kind of people in to see this $2 Million dollar, 2 bedroom overlookinng the scenic Second Avenue dig."

Old 05-20-2012, 05:10 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:

thanks
Cheers
An income of 100,000/yr allows one to spend between 2,000 and 2,500/mo on housing,in this case mortgage and maintenance.If you figure in a $750/mo maintenance it leaves you with about 1,500/mo to spend on mortgage payments.That's roughly the interest and principal payments on a 300,000 loan.

So if you have a 70,000 downpayment saved up you could purchase a 350,000 apartment with a maintenance of around 750/mo and be able to pay the interest and principal payments on the balance of around $280,000

This pretty much eliminates all of Manhattan except for Harlem,Washington Heights and Inwood.

You can check it out yourself by using any real estate listing site like the NY Times and setting $350,000 as your maximum price.You may find a few listings in your price range in more centrally located neighborhoods but they will most likely be problem listings.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-20-2012 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City