Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 PM

115 posts, read 394,063 times

Advertisements

Long story short - I'm on a mortgage with my brother as a co-signer. He's going to go into foreclosure I think (not yet a done deal). I theoretically could pay the mortgage (which I'm currently paying none of and haven't since I moved out of the house to NYC about 5 years ago), but I have no need or desire for a house that's 800 miles away. If I let it go, and have otherwise perfect credit (which I don't - I have some credit card late pays ~3.5 years ago but otherwise perfect), how is that going to impact me in the rental market? I currently pay ~$2K for a nice one bedroom in Brooklyn that I have a lease on through 4/2013, so I'd be looking if I had to (they're doing a condo conversion here, and this has all but eliminated any chance that I'm buying - but if they offer to renew for another year I'd take it) towards the beginning of 2013. Note that *my* financial situation is in order and hasn't changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:49 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds2001 View Post
Long story short - I'm on a mortgage with my brother as a co-signer. He's going to go into foreclosure I think (not yet a done deal). I theoretically could pay the mortgage (which I'm currently paying none of and haven't since I moved out of the house to NYC about 5 years ago), but I have no need or desire for a house that's 800 miles away. If I let it go, and have otherwise perfect credit (which I don't - I have some credit card late pays ~3.5 years ago but otherwise perfect), how is that going to impact me in the rental market? I currently pay ~$2K for a nice one bedroom in Brooklyn that I have a lease on through 4/2013, so I'd be looking if I had to (they're doing a condo conversion here, and this has all but eliminated any chance that I'm buying - but if they offer to renew for another year I'd take it) towards the beginning of 2013. Note that *my* financial situation is in order and hasn't changed.
This makes no sense.If you are on the mortgage and the house is going into foreclosure,you are also "going into foreclosure".If you are going into foreclosure your financial situation is not in order.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:06 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Quote:
My understanding is that if you are the co-signer, then you are on the hook just like your brother. Has the bank contacted you? If neither of you have been making payments, then your credit is also shot--more so if you let it go into foreclosure. If a landlord does a credit check you'll have a hard time getting an apartment.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Let's break it into two pieces and look at half of it.
It seems you are most concerned about what will happen to you in April 2013 when you suspect you may be told to buy or clear out? Correct?
IF your apartment is under rent-stabilization then you cannot be told to clear out but you can remain as a renter as long as you wish.
If it is MARKET, then what I would do is talk to the landlord and see if he will let you out of the lease early and get a new apartment NOW, preferably something rent stabilized, before the schytte hits the fan with a foreclosure.
But know well, often these "we're going condo" is just so much hot air and it never materializes so there is a good possibility that all will be fine next year.

Just for the record, is your mortgage far underwater? How much are the monthly payments? Any chance of your making the payments and trying to sell the joint? Short sale a possibility? Can you rent the place out to cover the mortgage?
(Of course that will entail your brother living somewhere ELSE.)

Old 06-03-2012, 11:40 AM

Sorry for not replying here, I think I've found a way out of this. I think that I can take a loan out of my 401K to cover the costs of selling the property normally, which I don't want to do, but it's the only option to save my credit. Not something that I enjoy doing, but the situation isn't as dire as I might have thought. I'll hopefully walk away with unblemished credit.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:18 PM

171 posts, read 305,285 times
just went through this.
it isnt the end of the world, if everything else is in order as you say and you can prove it there are options.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:13 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Sorry for not replying here, I think I've found a way out of this. I think that I can take a loan out of my 401K to cover the costs of selling the property normally, which I don't want to do, but it's the only option to save my credit. Not something that I enjoy doing, but the situation isn't as dire as I might have thought. I'll hopefully walk away with unblemished credit.

I hope your loss is a small one.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I hope your loss is a small one.
Me too! Thanks for the encouragement though - I think (if all goes well) the loss should be fairly small. I can only sustain a loss of $35K total, but I'm thinking it will be much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City