Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:19 PM

10 posts, read 29,192 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be staying in NY to attend a two week event on w 86 st in July. I am having a hard time finding a safe, affordable place to stay. I found temporary housing in East Harlem, on 100 st. I am also considering the YMCA in Upper West Side. Which is safer, and is there another inexpensive option?
PS -- I'm a female in my early 30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 06:05 AM

455 posts, read 653,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytuckoo View Post
Hi, I will be staying in NY to attend a two week event on w 86 st in July. I am having a hard time finding a safe, affordable place to stay. I found temporary housing in East Harlem, on 100 st. I am also considering the YMCA in Upper West Side. Which is safer, and is there another inexpensive option?
PS -- I'm a female in my early 30's.
Stay in the West Side YMCA on 63rd st. It is an extremely safe area and you are closeby to your event. hell you could even walk to it. You are right near Central Park and major buses and subway systems. Also, you will be able to catch a cab on Broadway very quickly. At the West Side Y, you will be able to use the gym which is very state of the art.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 AM

5,526 posts, read 8,797,246 times
This is a no-brainer. Stay at the West Side Y. Nicer neighborhood, safer, more transit options, better amenities.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was a bit hesitant about staying at the Y because a friend had to live there for a while, and hated it. He also said that it's not safe there. (not any un-safe-er than Harlem, though, I'm assuming) I was also advised against it, saying that there is not enough privacy for all my belongings. I am leaning towards it, but am a bit worried about staying there. Has anyone here had any experiences with the Y, the Upper West Side one, or any other?

Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,313,855 times
Where exactly on 100 st? with either one you'll be fine imo. There's a well known npo on 100th that's done a lot of good things for the neighborhood over there.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,929,004 times
100th street is not that bad, but stay away from metro north. although its not as bad as it once was, there are still some shady characters at night. i like how they renovated those row of buildings along that corridor of 100th street. they did a rather nice job.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:50 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
East Harlem at 100th Street is okay for a couple week visit. No need for fear.

Take any of the buses down Lex, Fifth or Second down to 86th and take the M86 through the park to wherever you want to go on the West Side. A very easy commute. Alternatively a 5 minute walk down to 96th and the cross town M96 to whatever Avenue you need and down to 86th either by bus or subway.

(You will have trouble booking the West Side Y and it is more expensive than you might think.)

Old 05-26-2012, 04:59 PM

Hi all, thank you for your replies. I've booked a private room with semi-private bathroom to the Y. and And as Kefir said, it is quite expensive. Also, a friend who stayed there said that there were some very sketchy people there behaving in ... how should I put it... doing sketchy things there. I'm still undecided, as the first people who replied here says that the Y is better, but then some of you replied that E Harlem is fine. Will give exact address a little later -- Thanks to all who replied with advice so far!

Old 05-26-2012, 05:06 PM

Okay, It's right in between 1st Ave and 2nd Ave, on 100 st. I should also mention that I will probably be coming home as late as 10 or 10:30 pm. As I mentioned, I am a female in my early 30's.

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 PM

Default The West Side YMCA or E 100st, between 1st and 2nd?

Hi, I am going for a 2 week stay in the city to attend a daily event on 85th street between Columbus and Amsterdam, and just made a reservation for a single room with semi-private bathroom at the West Side Y. Location is great but this is tentative, because some friends had to stay there in the past and hated it. One of them said that there were some sketchy things going on there. Has anyone had any experience with staying at that particular Y? Is it safe, and is it a cost effective place to stay? It is a lot more expensive than I expected.

Also considering a place on E. 100st, between 1st and 2nd ave, which is much more private and seems like a more comfortable place to stay, but I am worried about the neighborhood. Also much cheaper, but the transportation to the event might be an issue, especially since I will be coming home sometimes around 10:00 to 1o:30pm. Any advice? BTW, I am a female in my early 30's.
Thanks!

PS -- another option I'm considering is finding a hotel in Fort Lee (and taking a bus) in NJ.

Last edited by babytuckoo; 05-26-2012 at 10:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City