Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:28 PM

69 posts, read 252,333 times

Advertisements

Is it safe to move there and walk around there at 2:00 am? Also, the 161 st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 56,020 times
And why would you be walking around there at 2am? It is safe to move there..but you should always be cautious walking anywhere at that time.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:36 PM

25 posts, read 120,173 times
Absolutely NOT ! I personally know that area and I wouldn't move there. I know there are trying to upgrade those areas with coop buildings but in my opinion it's still not a safe area. It's crazy that people spend 100k and better yet across the street are slums. Oh especially at 2am...

Old 09-18-2008, 01:36 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightyNight View Post
And why would you be walking around there at 2am? It is safe to move there..but you should always be cautious walking anywhere at that time.
he/she could be a night watchman.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:39 PM

Lol..Will you think people are spending $100K? Try $330,000 for the new 3 bedroom condos going up. And they were all sold out! So I guess you know something they don't? The area is in a huge upswing and will continue to be the largest growing area in the city for the foreeable future, with an influx of condos, co-ops, 2 and 3 family homes, a new university, massive retail, restaurants, and businesses of all kinds entering in the next 3 years.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:56 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,117 times
Lots of stuff going on down there the last time I walked around. Lots of new homes - from "affordable housing" (nicer than many market rate places) to upscale multi-family homes (that from the outside look just like townhomes - some with lovely yards even!) and lots more retail action coming in. Looks very promising.

Now, whether any place (besides heavily populated streets) can be easily labeled "safe" is another thing all together.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:12 PM

True NYCWOman, because there are still a substantial amount of vacant lots in the area (that are all bought out and being developed), there are some desolate areas right now. That will change in the next 3 years as massive development is occuring as we speak. Safety of course is a personal issue. The best way to find out is to go visit the area and see how you feel, and only then will you know your answer. I am a local and I would be happy to show you the area if you are up to it. All I ask is a beer or two!

Old 09-18-2008, 04:44 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Melrose isn't really a safe area at 1 pm, so why would it be safe at 2 am. In fact, I think it's extremely dangerous walking the streets of the south Bronx at 2 am. Take it from me. I seen alot of **** happen when I used to go home from East Morrisania by the Freeman Street station at 3 am. Why would you be out at that time anyway? I advice you to steer clear.

They could put all the condos they want there. MAYBE in the future the effects of all these condos can be felt. But unless they are making everything into condos, the area that is rich in projects, tenements and vacant lots will for now and the immediate future be a un-safe area and an unsafe investment. Didn't they open a HUGE homeless shelter on Walton ave and the 150's?? How is that for improvement.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:24 AM

107 posts, read 429,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightyNight View Post
Lol..Will you think people are spending $100K? Try $330,000 for the new 3 bedroom condos going up. And they were all sold out! So I guess you know something they don't? The area is in a huge upswing and will continue to be the largest growing area in the city for the foreeable future, with an influx of condos, co-ops, 2 and 3 family homes, a new university, massive retail, restaurants, and businesses of all kinds entering in the next 3 years.
This is OT, but what university do you speak of?

Old 09-19-2008, 11:39 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,465 times
Well I'm one of those who decided to take a chance and purchase a unit in one of the new developments in the Melrose section. it's a neighborhood in transition, there's always gonna be dangerous areas, just like in any other city neighborhood, but I saw an opportunity to stop wasting my money on rent, weather it's a good or bad move, time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: