Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 AM

160 posts, read 300,831 times

Advertisements

I am born and raised near the Nassau/Queens border and I went to North Carolina for college and I just got a job back in New York for 45 grand a year. Between me and my wife we make around 60 grand currently. Anyway we are set on living in the East Bronx (Pelham Bay, Throggs Neck, Schuylerville, Country Club, etc..) and we aren't having the easiest time finding a decent studio or one bedroom apartment. Is our income big enough to have a nice place in any of these neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 AM

420 posts, read 823,427 times
Where are you working, and why the East Bronx? 60k total, going by the 40x income landloard rule, means $1500 a month for an apartment. You should be able to find a 1-bedroom in the Bronx for that, and probably in the nicer parts of Queens too (Forest Hills, Astoria) and in Brooklyn probably a good studio or small 1-bedroom or studio (Greenpoint, Williamsburg).

If you work downtown, maybe Bay Ridge. If you work in midtown, Astoria or Forest Hills. In the Bronx, Pelham Parkway is often recommended here. Probably can also find a 1-bedroom in Riverdale with your income.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:26 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
Where are you working, and why the East Bronx? 60k total, going by the 40x income landloard rule, means $1500 a month for an apartment. You should be able to find a 1-bedroom in the Bronx for that, and probably in the nicer parts of Queens too (Forest Hills, Astoria) and in Brooklyn probably a good studio or small 1-bedroom or studio (Greenpoint, Williamsburg).

If you work downtown, maybe Bay Ridge. If you work in midtown, Astoria or Forest Hills. In the Bronx, Pelham Parkway is often recommended here. Probably can also find a 1-bedroom in Riverdale with your income.

Good luck!
Studios in Greenpoint and Williamsburg are WAY more than $1500 these days. Try $1800-2000 and up now.

Your income sounds fine, but what websites are you checking for apartments? Also, agreed on where you work will dictate what part of the city you should move to. Unless one of you is working in CT or the east side of Westchester, then I don't see why you would need the East Bronx specifically.

I'm not an expert on the Bronx, so I'm sure one of the other more well versed posters can give better information, but I don't think it should be an issue to find something.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 AM

160 posts, read 300,831 times
I want that area(although I am open to Others) because of the nature, good food, and secluded beaches in Pelham bay. I love Riverdale and parts of Yonkers too. I'd prefer a 1 bedroom or more, not really fond of studios. I dislike Brooklyn and queens because it feels like they have no good parks, just urban sprawl.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,233 times
You should have no trouble finding a 1 bedroom in Throggs Neck and the surrounding areas for that price. You won't find much on Craigslist....your best bet is to get a Penny Pincher (a local circular that has lots of by-owner apartments). If you're willing to pay a broker fee (1 month), try any of the real estate agencies along Tremont, you'll get a wider selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City