Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 PM

397 posts, read 1,071,887 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious, I'm a former NYC person who now lives in Mount Pleasant, SC and I am always looking for fellow-NY'rs who are moving here, it seems there are so many! If I get enough interest, I'll have a NY/NJ night down here for all of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 05:44 PM

289 posts, read 746,162 times
Default Moving down south

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulHomesofSC View Post
I'm just curious, I'm a former NYC person who now lives in Mount Pleasant, SC and I am always looking for fellow-NY'rs who are moving here, it seems there are so many! If I get enough interest, I'll have a NY/NJ night down here for all of us!
HOW ARE THE HOME'S AND THE PRICE ,THE TAX'S, CRIME ETC. ? RETIRED NEW YORK CITY WORKER,THANK'S

Old 06-30-2008, 08:20 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,488 times
I thought about it but the jobs don't pay enough to afford the housing. It seems to me like a place people go to after they have already made a lot of money. It is a very nice looking town but to live in the nice part cost real money. It does have some seedy parts though.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:38 PM

397 posts, read 1,071,887 times
Mount Pleasant is beautiful, very low crime, it's North Charleston that is sort of "seedy" - ....taxes are ridiculously cheap, my home is 1900 sq ft, built in 1997 and the taxes were $669 FOR THE WHOLE YEAR! It's amazing...you can find houses for as low as $250,000 on up.....very nice ones too! And, Mount Pleasant is only minutes to the beach and surrounded by great golf courses. There are a lot of engineering firms here, and military, and a lot of service industry (restaurants, realtors, construction, etc.)....but the pay cut is worth every penny for lifestyle choices, and - who needs the high taxes! I think that's why there are so many of us down here...not to mention the great weather (hot and sticky in July/Aug, but you get used to it)....let me know if there are any other questions!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 PM

11 posts, read 43,307 times
Default Sounds nice and affrdable...

I am preparing to move to Mt. Pleasant in the next 30 days from The Jersey Shore (but worked in NYC).

Am VERY concerned about the job market....

Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,422 times
Our daughter, who currently lives and works in Manhattan will be moving down there for further studies comes January. Any suggestions for where to look for housing? She'll be looking for something safe, vibrant with young professionals, not "seedy" and preferably walking or biking distance to MUSC. Any suggestions? What rents should she expect? THANKS in advance for any advice.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:00 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresejenkins View Post
No. The thought to move to one of the poorest states in the nation has NEVER crossed my mind.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No. The thought to move to one of the poorest states in the nation has NEVER crossed my mind.

I thought that you liked poor people?

Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I thought that you liked poor people?
"Liking" poor people and living in a POOR STATE that is regressing as far as women's productive rights are concerned is completely different. I don't want to do 20 years in prison because I wanted to get an abortion or use birth control.

Add Arkansas, West Virginia and Mississippi to the list as well.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:27 PM

301 posts, read 804,609 times
Quote:
"Liking" poor people and living in a POOR STATE that is regressing as far as women's productive rights are concerned is completely different. I don't want to do 20 years in prison because I wanted to get an abortion or use birth control.
In what state would this ever happen? A) Abortion is legal in South Carolina and B) Birth control is too. In fact, South Carolina is not highly Catholic and most protestant denominations have absolutely no problem with birth control, so I don't know why you would ever insinuate such a thing. I know South Carolina is a relatively religious state, so if that's what you were trying to get at, then you should rethink your wording.

Your reasoning for not considering the beautiful and friendly state of SC is beyond ridiculous. It is also based on complete lies.

Also, the rural parts of South Carolina are completely different than the city parts. Charleston, Greenville, Spartanburg, and Columbia all are much more balanced in view points and it is not nearly as conservative as you make it out to be.

Do more research before you spread any more lies and hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City