Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 04:18 PM

62 posts, read 205,554 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this thread is correct -

My wife and I both work in the city (and I work FOR the city) and neither one of us pays city tax nor is it listed anywhere on our tax forms. We live in the 5 towns and have been using a reputable tax accountant and there has never been a question

Caveat - I do pay a city waiver due to the fact that my salary is paid through city-collected tax dollars but it is miniscule compared to the standard city tax (e.g.- $100,000 income pays approx $8K in city tax and only about $3K in city waiver)

SGC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 09:33 PM

91 posts, read 473,892 times
This thread is all wrong. If you live anywhere outside of NYC (the 5 boroughs) you will not pay the 3.65% NYC "resident" income tax....even if you work in the city. It is a resident tax and is only for residents of NYC. Also, there is no commuter income tax in NYC....it was eliminated a bunch of years ago and was, contrary to the posts, very small...less than 1%.

Also, the people saying move to yonkers are leading you the wrong way...Yonkers also has a resident income tax, its the only other city in new york state that has its own income tax.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:47 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1918 View Post
Also, the people saying move to yonkers are leading you the wrong way...Yonkers also has a resident income tax, its the only other city in new york state that has its own income tax.
Possibly why corruption exists in Yonkers/ Mt. Vernon

Old 10-08-2007, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 8,275 times
Default What city does not pay NYC tax

Is Flushing, Jamica, Springfield Gardens, Hampstead, or Garden City included in the New York City tax?

Old 10-13-2007, 07:18 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
Yes. The so-called "commuter tax" was especially unpopular with all the suburbanites who travel into New York to work.

As others have posted, if you work for a company based in New York City you will pay the commuter tax.

Sorry. That's the price of business in the Big Apple.

I see...i'm a teacher, so when I move to Long Island and commute to Queens probably, I wouldn't have to pay it, since the DOE isn't a business...am I right?

Old 10-13-2007, 09:36 AM

62 posts, read 205,554 times
DOE is not a business but it does carry city waiver rules. The meaning of this is that there will be a waiver charged to all employees that do not reside in the city limits.

also , I believe there is still a city residency rule for DOE employees so if you are new you may not be allowed to live outside the city limits. I would check with the personnel department before venturing out to LI

P.S. - if you have been employed previously by the city you may qualify for non-residency status (I work for the NYCDOT and live in Nassau county legally)

Old 10-18-2007, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 78,267 times
Property taxes for areas surrounding NYC are much higher then property taxes in one of the five boroughs. I looked into a house in Yonkers, about $525K, and annual taxes three years ago would've been $10K-$12K a year, including school tax. This is ridiculous taking into consideration that you would also have a tax liability for Yonkers City tax, which would be deducted out of your pay or paid when you file your taxes.

I opted for a house in The Bronx, $390K, about $1,200 a year three years ago, and no school tax.

I hear Long Island Real Estate Taxes are also ridiculous, $12-$15K a year, for $600K+ house.

I can't speak for NJ but there real estate taxes are higher then the boroughs.

In addition to paying higher real taxes to live on the outskirts of NYC you will be paying more to commute and it will be a longer commute. Take advantage of NYC's Mass Tranist System.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,387 times
I live in the town of Hemstead. My paycheck is showing a deduction of $60 and it states City Waiver. What the heck is that?

Old 10-26-2010, 01:56 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
I believe there was mention of puttin the commuter tax back into affect but it is a small price to pay - at least that is my thought - as another poster stated - the taxes on homes in the surrounding areas are much more than in the boroughs - you get it coming or going basically - I currently am in a state that has no state income tax but boy they get you on everything else!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM
grant516

n/a posts
This thread is confusing since it is outdated- nsostre, you should make your post in the Long Island forum, and not here- they will better answer you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City