Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:03 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times

Advertisements

It has come to my attention that NYCHA has sent out an RFP (Request for Proposal) to manage its parking lots. It is not selling them off, it just wants a company to do all the billing, enforcement, account management etc. The only thing NYCHA wants to do is write a check to manage the parking lots.

On a side note, I was in Coney Island recently (actually Brighton Beach) and noticed that the housing projects are getting new facades to look like the new affordable housing buildings. It is a huge improvement from the drab soviet-style red brick monoliths into multicolored, smooth finishes. I am wondering if all housing projects will have the new facade? I sure hope so..they look great.

If anyone can take a picture of them and post..that would be cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:03 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It has come to my attention that NYCHA has sent out an RFP (Request for Proposal) to manage its parking lots. It is not selling them off, it just wants a company to do all the billing, enforcement, account management etc. The only this NYCHA wants to do is write a check to manage the parking lots.

On a side note, I was in Coney Island recently (actually Brighton Beach) and noticed that the housing projects are getting new facades to look like the new affordable housing buildings. It is a huge improvement from the drab soviet-style red brick monoliths into multicolored, smooth finishes. I am wondering if all housing projects will have the new facade? I sure hope so..they look great.

If anyone can take a picture of them and post..that would be cool.
There's no NYCHA in Brighton Beach. Where were u exactly?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-28-2012, 03:21 PM

I was in Brighton Beach but walked over to Coney Island, and you can see the housing projects a few blocks away. A few of the buildings' facades have been completed, and a few others are in the process. I did not have my camera with me or I would have taken a pic. If anyone is in the area, take a pic and post.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Ok, you didnt say that you walked to Coney Island in ur previous post. If u look at my profile pic thats newly done facade on some NYCHA buildings across the street from my house.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-28-2012, 04:04 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It has come to my attention that NYCHA has sent out an RFP (Request for Proposal) to manage its parking lots. It is not selling them off, it just wants a company to do all the billing, enforcement, account management etc. The only thing NYCHA wants to do is write a check to manage the parking lots. ...............
I sincerely hope you are wrong about NYCHA wanting to write a check to whoever does the management.NYCHA should receive a check for handing over the revenue stream and the use of OUR property to private, for profit enterprises ,not write one.

But then again,the city has handed over school buildings to for profit educational corporations with no compensation so it wouldn't surprise me.

Next thing you know we'll be handing over the parking meter and violation fine revenue stream to private enterprise and sending them a check too.Fines will of course go through the roof but it will be private enterprise.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-28-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,847 times
PJs should not have parking lots. Especially in neighborhoods rich in transit.

Sell off the lots to private developers for mixed use construction!!!It will make the areas vibrant and provide housing+amenities.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:22 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
I was in Brighton Beach but walked over to Coney Island, and you can see the housing projects a few blocks away.
Sounds like your describing Luna Park which starts at W 8 St. Its Mitchell-Lama housing under HPD.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/home/home.shtml

The contruction being done is because the facade had been seperating away from the wall (the cement was dissolving due to water infiltration). Thus all the brickwork is being replaced due to mortar and brick failure. Theirs was so bad that some apartments had to be emptied of tenants because the entire outer wall had collapsed.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704293604575342812858388470.html

What they are hoping for:

Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
It's the first step in a MASSIVE increase in the cost of parking. ANd then the City gets plausible deniablity when they say "Well, WE didn't have anything to do with the increase."

Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM

Neil you are right..I thought these were housing projects because they look exactly like housing projects, but they are in fact co-ops. This is very similar to the Rosedale Gardens Coops by White Plains Rd along the Bruckner (East side of the highway)..it looks just like housing projects but they are in fact co-ops.

Bluedog: Just to clarify, the city has sent our an RFP to privatize the parking meters, so that is already in the works. And yes, all NYC wants to do is write a check to the management company for managing the parking facilities. Part of the goal of both of these initiatives is major staffing reductions for NYCHA and NYC...they are not only outsourcing the work, they free themselves from all the expense, bureacracy, labor, lifetime benefits of employees, departments, office space, and ancillary expenses to run these operations so the savings are substantial in the short and long term.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:11 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
It's the first step in a MASSIVE increase in the cost of parking.
Well lets see. They already get a massive discount on housing because of the their incomes. Fine we all understand the need for affordable housing. But why should NYC subsidize parking? They pay and average of $27 per month plus a yearly sticker fee, yet most of the housing is near public transportation. Thus if they afford a car, a car payment and insurance then they should pay a discounted market rate for parking and not the BS price they have been paying for decades.

Finally NYC raised the yearly sticker fees for residents to $340 & $538 for assigned parking spots.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycha/downloads/pdf/Parking_Fees_2012.pdf

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycha/downloads/pdf/fee-parking-schedule-eng.pdf

Which works out to about $51 month for assigned outdoor parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City