Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:57 PM

32 posts, read 77,453 times

Advertisements

Every now and then, you hear that bushwick is changing slowly. But what are your thoughts about it ? Do u think in a cpl of years he will be the next Williamsburg ? I dont see the people moving out . Do u think house prices will be way up in the future ? I do have hopes for bushwick that surrounds the L line but the J line of bushwick always been more shady. What are your opinions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 09:14 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
I think people are hoping against reason that it will change and become an area like Williamsburg but unfortunately, Williamsburg was an anomoly... You can even check the Manhattan areas that have experienced gentrification over a much longer period than Bushwick... LES/alphabet city, Harlem, Wash Heights/Inwood... The remnants of the past still remain in full effect once you pass certain avenues or sections of the neighborhoods... North Williamsburg was really the only area to have a significant change in population... And by population I am not referring to demographics since people always disregard the fact that it was a much more diverse area than any other gentrifying hood...

North Williamsburg for the longest was a working class white/hispanic/black area that had its problems but was by no means a hood even remotely similar to Bushwick. It made the transition much easier for the true new definition hipster type and eventually became what we see today. Unfortunately, Bushwick has really seemed to have taken a turn for the worst crime-wise last few years and seems to continue to get worse as time goes on... It's nowhere near previous decade levels but Bushwick is definitely worse circa 2012 than it was say 07'. Certain QOL issues aside, the resentment from locals continues to showcase itself by the high number of muggings, grand larcenies, burglaries and felonies in the area...

I really do hope things take a turn for the better but it just seems like gang activity is way more active lately and the biggest perpetrators are the mexican gangs which unfortunately only continue to grow across the city as well as this area... So while I hope i'm wrong about this neighborhood... right now the future doesn't look too good for the area... The only section that I can see having (not a North Williamsburg but an) East Williamsburg feel is the area that immediately borders E.W. from Flushing avenue to around Dekalb between Cypress ave and say irving possibly Knickerbocker... Other than that, I really don't see any other part having that type of feel any time soon...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I have to disagree that Bushwick's future "doesn't look to good." Total BS. NYC is growing and changing, and while just a very small handful of neighborhoods are just stuck (ENY comes to mind), Bushwick is not one of them. Yes the locals aren't going anywhere, and to that I say..so what? 90- 95% of the locals are good, hardworking people, while the 5-10% ruins it for everyone else. The locals are the people working towards making it better, and it is improving. Don't let some hyped headlines make you think Bushwick is sinking...it is a challenged neighborhood but still moving forward and it's future is growing brighter, not darker. Anyone that says otherwise spends too much time watching eyewitness news and hiding from their own shadow.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I have to disagree that Bushwick's future "doesn't look to good." Total BS. NYC is growing and changing, and while just a very small handful of neighborhoods are just stuck (ENY comes to mind), Bushwick is not one of them. Yes the locals aren't going anywhere, and to that I say..so what? 90- 95% of the locals are good, hardworking people, while the 5-10% ruins it for everyone else. The locals are the people working towards making it better, and it is improving. Don't let some hyped headlines make you think Bushwick is sinking...it is a challenged neighborhood but still moving forward and it's future is growing brighter, not darker. Anyone that says otherwise spends too much time watching eyewitness news and hiding from their own shadow.
Just wondering: have you ever been to Bushwick? Are you familiar with it?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Just wondering: have you ever been to Bushwick? Are you familiar with it?
No he probably hasn't and this last post confirms to me that he's a total idiot and speaks out of his ***... I live in the neighborhood. I see what's going on. I have explained what areas have experienced gentrification in detail and I explain when I see positive changes in my surrounding area. When I saw gang violence seemed to be going away for awhile I commented on it and said how I hope it continues but now I am seeing something that is disturbing and it has been occuring for the last year and a half and you tell me you disagree with an area you know absolutely squat about...

You know as much about the area as the poor-suckers that move here and get conned into living in the hood through and through... There is one area in the neighborhood that has experienced significant gentrification and a growing number of white (poor hipster type) and that is towards the borderline of East Williamsburg from Flushing ave to about Dekalb ave. Other than that, the changes have been minimal but the crime rate has continued to increase over the last three years... I am not making these numbers up. I am telling you what I see based on facts and personal live observation. I choose to not read subjective articles in the NY times that convince me that Brownsville is the next Williamsburg...

Please, you can pretend to know the city with any other person about any other neighborhood... But when it comes to Bushwick, Ridgewood, East Williamsburg, Woodhaven, East NY/Brownsville... Leave that stuff to me... You clearly have no idea of what you speak...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 AM

I have never been to Bushwick but since nobody is really saying much of anything on city-data today, I thought I would take a side. But please...continue!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
I have recently heard from people who live there that Bushwick is not good. At all. And worsening.
But it would stand to reason that this will change ...?

If I were to estimate in Harlem, I would say the decent locals, who should of course stay, are around 75%.
There is a lot of craziness here and I do not mean just crime. I would include such people in the "unproductive" percent.

My significant other argues for a much lower figure but grew up here and may not see the changes as much as I do.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I have recently heard from people who live there that Bushwick is not good. At all. And worsening.
But it would stand to reason that this will change ...?

If I were to estimate in Harlem, I would say the decent locals, who should of course stay, are around 75%.
There is a lot of craziness here and I do not mean just crime. I would include such people in the "unproductive" percent.

My significant other argues for a much lower figure but grew up here and may not see the changes as much as I do.
Yea I think you're number is pretty fair... You gotta understand though, you're neighborhood has seen considerably more gentrification than Bushwick so it stands to reason that the percentage of decent locals would be higher over there...

I literally LOL'd when he said 5-10% of the neighborhood are bad apples while the remaining 90-95% are honest hard-working people... It shows his limited knowledge of anything related to the neighborhood. And then he just confirmed my point by telling the public basically that hes an idiot and has no idea what hes talking about with Bushwick and he just felt like passing time...

@ Sobroguy please leave the facts for the big boys... You can spew your subjective rhetoric to the ignorant transplants that believe mott haven is the only place to afford cheap rents in this city...

Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 AM

Anon...the name calling is unnecessary....you are supposed to be the guy standing in front of the train station handing out Jesus flyers and saving our souls remember?

As soon as you bring facts to the table, you can be a big boy. Until then, stick with the Jesus gig.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anon...the name calling is unnecessary....you are supposed to be the guy standing in front of the train station handing out Jesus flyers and saving our souls remember?

As soon as you bring facts to the table, you can be a big boy. Until then, stick with the Jesus gig.
I've been bringing facts to the table the whole time... My religion doesn't prevent me from being objective about what's going on in this city...

And for the record, taken from dictionary.com (first definition)
idiot- an utterly foolish or senseless person.

I'd say that describes your comment pretty well. It's not name-calling... again based on the dictionary itself your post favors the term idiot/idiotic quite well. The post is an utterly foolish one as you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to this neighborhood... and it's a senseless post because as you mentioned to us, you just commented on it to pass time...

When you start to bring both sides of the table to your argument and not just the one side that everyone simply enjoys hearing... then we can have a healthy objective debate... Unfortunately, I don't see you doing that anytime soon so my description of your posts will continue to have substance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City