Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 4,582 times

Advertisements

I have heard some great feedback from this board when it came to career advice and jobs@ nyc

Long story short I graduated 2010 and have been working at my firm on long island for 35k/year as a marketing coordinator and have been trying to get a decent salary to move out and get my life started.

I recently got contacted on linkedin by a recruiter with a job offer. Now I'm very confident in my skills since I've been freelancing during college on top of my corporate experience these past two years.

Now when I call the hr recruit how should I go about talking salary ... I've done research and the average salary for the position I want in nyc is 59k. I just don't want to get short changed

**Btw I gotta call the recruit in about for hours

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 01:15 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
For the most part, the recruiters are pretty straight forward with salary. When you ask about more details on the role, just ask them what the salary range is too. It's OK to talk to them about it (but probably not so much at the actual interview itself to the hiring manager). Quite frankly, the recruiter needs to know if the company can afford to hire you. If you are looking to get $60K but the company is only going to pay $30K, you need to know that and decide if it's worth applying for a job that is going to pay you less than you want. I know with my company, our recruiters are pretty up front with asking about salary requirements with any candidate. They don't want to interview someone that is expecting to make $150K for a role they are only paying $60K for...sure, you can always negotiate salary but it has to be within the general range they'd offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City