Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 12:10 PM

3,215 posts, read 1,673,950 times

Advertisements

I was talking to an Uber driver about NYers and he agreed with me that NYers today are way too entitled on the roads.

It all started when I got in the car and we're heading downtown and all these young folks just blindly walked in front of us on the crosswalk but we had the green light. I told him, these folks are dead meat if you ran them over. He said they think they have the right away even if he has to make an emergency stop. We turn into another street and a bunch of pedestrians didn't care what color are the lights just kept crossing despite it was a green light for cars. He says, what are you gonna do these kids are all spoiled.

I asked him, what does he think about ebikes?

He says, he's making a left turn and an ebike going the wrong way jumps out and crosses right in front of his car and he had to slam the brakes. He opens the window and the guy on the ebike curses at him and gave him the finger. He says in his country, he will be flying with his head cracked open doing that stunt.

The Vision Zero plan is nothing but a tax on cars while people are likely dying more and more due to ebike accidents and too many entitled pedestrians jaywalking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 12:40 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,771 times
Agreed. Meanwhile you go on Reddit and see it's taken over by pedestrian advocates. Car drivers are devil spawn. Pedestrians are saints. NYC needs to get rid of all these dumb bike lanes, parking spaces in the middle of the street, etc. Cancel Citi Bike too or restrict it only to parks.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:00 PM

18 posts, read 6,742 times
I primarily use bikes to get around the city, but I agree that it's become the wild west and just unsafe. Between the bike lanes that squeeze between parking lanes and sidewalk restaurants, the e-bikes that go up to 25mph, the food delivery e-bikes that speed in the wrong direction with zero concern, and the abysmal state of most roads with giant potholes and other hazards... I'm honestly surprised there aren't fatal accidents more often. The reality is that the city is just not built for safe bike transit on a mass scale.

Old 06-20-2023, 04:42 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,086,262 times
covid lockdown made most people entitled and angry out there

Old 06-20-2023, 04:49 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
covid lockdown made most people entitled and angry out there
Agreed

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-20-2023, 05:48 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Agreed
Covid lockdowns definitely worsened attitudes.

Though these trends started in NYC and other large cities with gentrification.

Many transplants here, and elsewhere, often bring a sense of entitlement with them.

Old 06-20-2023, 10:59 PM

3,215 posts, read 1,673,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycexpat92 View Post
I primarily use bikes to get around the city, but I agree that it's become the wild west and just unsafe. Between the bike lanes that squeeze between parking lanes and sidewalk restaurants, the e-bikes that go up to 25mph, the food delivery e-bikes that speed in the wrong direction with zero concern, and the abysmal state of most roads with giant potholes and other hazards... I'm honestly surprised there aren't fatal accidents more often. The reality is that the city is just not built for safe bike transit on a mass scale.
In defense of bikers, I often use bike or scooter on the bike lanes and a couple with their stroller is walking right on the bike bath and going the wrong way. Either they are royally entitled or dump as F. This isn't just bike paths on the streets, in Central park I see mobs of people just walking and standing on bike paths while plenty of room on non-bike paths to walk.

The other problem is that bike paths has become a new lane for double parking, you see an uber pulls over it or standing idle.

I see people cursing at each other other between bikers and pedestrians over bike lane.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:21 AM

61 posts, read 46,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Agreed. Meanwhile you go on Reddit and see it's taken over by pedestrian advocates. Car drivers are devil spawn. Pedestrians are saints. NYC needs to get rid of all these dumb bike lanes, parking spaces in the middle of the street, etc. Cancel Citi Bike too or restrict it only to parks.
Car drivers are mostly scum. We want to be like Europe. You can go move to Texas if you want to drive so much. Stay away from Austin though since they are adding bike lanes. NYC doesn't need car obsessed vermin since you guys pay the least in revenue to the city.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:59 PM

1,424 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeadam View Post
Car drivers are mostly scum. We want to be like Europe. You can go move to Texas if you want to drive so much. Stay away from Austin though since they are adding bike lanes. NYC doesn't need car obsessed vermin since you guys pay the least in revenue to the city.
How many more backup accounts do you have?

Old 06-21-2023, 08:15 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,222,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
How many more backup accounts do you have?
He probably comprises 75% of the activity on this forum lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City