Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 07:40 AM

2,459 posts, read 1,232,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

New York State law requires you to stop for a pedestrian in the crosswalk, even when the pedestrian isn't in your lane. You must stay stopped until the pedestrian has finished crossing the side of the road onto which you're turning. Don't bully pedestrians with your vehicle. They have the right of way.
Correct, but I have been hit by a car. It's not fun.

So if you want to lay in bed doped up, waiting for your bones to heal muttering to yourself "I had the right of way" go right ahead. I prefer to stay alert and expect the driver is not paying attention. No air buds, no staring at the phone screen etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 07:37 PM

3,862 posts, read 3,162,822 times
Just the way it is. As a driver, i drive with a thumb on the horn button. Its monkey see monkey do out here, so with a triple horn blast, one or 2 people jumping out the way,the rest will follow.

Or would you be better off taking the subway,dodging the filthy and crazzy?

So are they entitled? No. Pedestrians are mostly workers that cant wait to get home on the other side of the bridge...would rather not even be in the city, but do so for pay.

The tourist are too busy looking up at the buildings, not paying attention to anyone but their group. This group can be an entitled bunch, with the logic that they spend alot of money to visit.

Old 07-06-2023, 10:41 PM

188 posts, read 61,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post

Or would you be better off taking the subway,dodging the filthy and crazzy?
Subway is a much better deal for me than driving to work even though driving is an option I have. Driving to Manhattan when transit is available is something a low life vermin would do. I am at work faster and I don't have to deal with the car obsessed road rage trash like you that crazier than anything I seen on the subway. So in the end, it works out for me.

Old 07-07-2023, 05:58 AM

16,157 posts, read 6,903,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesfitlatinas View Post
Subway is a much better deal for me than driving to work even though driving is an option I have. Driving to Manhattan when transit is available is something a low life vermin would do. I am at work faster and I don't have to deal with the car obsessed road rage trash like you that crazier than anything I seen on the subway. So in the end, it works out for me.
Driving to Manhattan when transit is available is something a low life vermin would do.
People working out of their vehicles like taxi drivers, police,paramedics,emergency service,traveling nurses,
doctors,cable technicians,phone service, a variety of contractors etc.. have no choice but to work out of their vehicles.
I would suggest you rethink your position. Not all jobs are in office space cubicles. Many workers need to travel to
earn their daily bread.

Old 07-07-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Driving to Manhattan when transit is available is something a low life vermin would do.
People working out of their vehicles like taxi drivers, police,paramedics,emergency service,traveling nurses,
doctors,cable technicians,phone service, a variety of contractors etc.. have no choice but to work out of their vehicles.
I would suggest you rethink your position. Not all jobs are in office space cubicles. Many workers need to travel to
earn their daily bread.
I am talking about people but that work mainly in an office setting but since you brought it up.

Nurses have no reason to drive. I seen them show up in hospitals when I worked in early in my career and the only reason they brought their car in was to show off or make themselves feel powerful. The same deal with physicians and teachers. In many cases, they lived within a couple blocks of transit which is 24/7. Even many hospitals will reimburse if they use a taxi during late night hours.

Cops coming to work don't need to drive either unless they are idiots and decide to live in Staten Island which is their fault for living in a transit desert instead of moving. Cops are not allowed to keep their patrol cars at home in NY unlike other states.

Taxi drivers job is to drive so no kidding, they are constantly on the go.

As for plumbers, technicians, heavy delivery, carpenters, landscapers, painters, they DO 100% have the most legit reason to drive a car into the city. The work with their hands so I would not question them driving.

Old 07-08-2023, 05:20 AM

16,157 posts, read 6,903,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesfitlatinas View Post
I am talking about people but that work mainly in an office setting but since you brought it up.

Nurses have no reason to drive. I seen them show up in hospitals when I worked in early in my career and the only reason they brought their car in was to show off or make themselves feel powerful. The same deal with physicians and teachers. In many cases, they lived within a couple blocks of transit which is 24/7. Even many hospitals will reimburse if they use a taxi during late night hours.

Cops coming to work don't need to drive either unless they are idiots and decide to live in Staten Island which is their fault for living in a transit desert instead of moving. Cops are not allowed to keep their patrol cars at home in NY unlike other states.

Taxi drivers job is to drive so no kidding, they are constantly on the go.

As for plumbers, technicians, heavy delivery, carpenters, landscapers, painters, they DO 100% have the most legit reason to drive a car into the city. The work with their hands so I would not question them driving.
Didn't bring it up. Responded to your generalization of all driving to Manhattan are low life vermon.
Glad you are thinking things thru. Stay away from Name calling ......minimizes and discredits your point of view.

Old 07-08-2023, 11:58 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,268,796 times
Quote:
Didn't bring it up. Responded to your generalization of all driving to Manhattan are low life vermon.
Glad you are thinking things thru. Stay away from Name calling ......minimizes and discredits your point of view.

It's too late. Most of his posts discredit his point of view.

Old 07-08-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Like I said, there are exceptions in life.

Old 07-08-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
It's too late. Most of his posts discredit his point of view.
I just saw you practically worship Robert Moses, so you might frankly have zero credibility on anything as you are the very type of people NYC hates.

Old 07-08-2023, 12:18 PM

1,432 posts, read 733,818 times
Don't feed the trolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City