Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Thanks Uncle Makossa!

PS Everything is peachy
You got it Miss J. I'll be PM'ing both you guys soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if I'm the only one getting annoyed at not just the breakdancers but the would be bands or one man show musicians that seem to be popping up in every freaking train station.
Once in a great long while, some of those guys are not only legitimate, but actually have official permission from MTA to be there! The catch, of course, is that you have to apply for a permit (and that application must be approved). Anyone "performing" without one is subject to being arrested and removed from the station.

And the catch there, of course, is that hardly anyone makes the complaint that gets them removed. When I was a conductor and I saw someone "performing" in a station, I used to call it in. But I think I was one of the very few who did.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 8,453 times
Oh the horror the horror, must suck to be you stuck up your own arse ;C(

Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I love the Mariachis on the subway. Their music always makes me feel more light-hearted and I open my wallet to them. As for the break dancing kids, I'm amazed at their dexterity and balance on a moving train.
So you guys are seeing actual mariachis on the train? Like with the the mariachi suit and sombrero, the whole nine yards? I have yet to see that. I do see mexican guys playing Norteño music all the time though...

Some of these subway musicians aren't bad at all. There is a duo that I catch sometimes on the A/C platform in Fulton street in Manhattan. They are an R&B/funk duo. One guy on bass the other sax. Very good.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:59 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym View Post
there used to be a blind mariachi guy who carried an accordion. he had a stick with a wheel on it forming a sort of tripod (his legs being the other legs to the tripod) and he'd walk thru the trains. i think the locking of the doors between subway cars after 01 put an end to his career.

then there was that dude with the busted up keyboard and cracked out girlfriend doing the 'im broke - its no joke' song.

but my favorite was the comedian dude who would say things like his rent is 2$ and closed up with asking us all to leave now as he had company coming over soon.
I think some of you are confusing genres. Ranchera music which is what mariachis play does not have accordions...

This is what mariachi look like,

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-08-2012 at 01:16 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 01:05 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
Quote:
I'm wondering if I'm the only one getting annoyed at not just the breakdancers but the would be bands or one man show musicians that seem to be popping up in every freaking train station.
hasn't this been going on forever? i remember the same thing riding in the early 90's. i think maybe it gets more frequent in the summer

i do agree its usually annoying. sometimes though you get a real treat. years ago when i was a teenager there was an old asian guy who would play western canon stuff on one of those uncommon (here at least) old stringed instruments from traditional chinese music. it was really quite amazing, he was very talented and probably had been playing all his life. that guy could busk for my money all day long and it wouldn't get old

a few weeks back someone was doing instrumental sinatra on strings. a really good arrangement. i had to ask what the piece was since i knew it but couldn't place it in context. totally brightened up my day. another old asian guy. for some reason i tend to like their performances i guess. 59th st columbus circle at the front of the downtown abcd

occasionally the dancers are good but usually annoying as hell, its just too crowded to want some dude's foot near your face

i usually dislike the mariachi guys, poorly tuned guitars are a pet peeve of mine

don't even get me started on the hippies

Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM

167 posts, read 306,007 times
I resent them, not because they are begging, but because I know how much they can make

it makes me feel like I am wasting my time doing what I do

Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM

25 posts, read 144,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen. specific View Post
I resent them, not because they are begging, but because I know how much they can make

it makes me feel like I am wasting my time doing what I do
I have a friend that does breakdance on the train with his brother and they really do cash in lol.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:28 PM

25 posts, read 144,423 times
The only act I've seen on the train I can recognize over years is the " I'm broke and it ain't no joke" lady , I would give her money if she at least put effort into some new lyrics.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
So you guys are seeing actual mariachis on the train? Like with the the mariachi suit and sombrero, the whole nine yards? I have yet to see that. I do see mexican guys playing Norteño music all the time though...
i've 100% seen quartets in costume on the subway. generally two guitars, plus some smaller number of vox, brass, violin/fiddle. often a 6 8 meter, lyrics are usually romantic (even gringos with broken spanish like me know "amor" y "corazon" )

whether they were technically ranchero vs norteno... it just seems like splitting hairs to me to get that genre specific about buskers... if someone here knows the distinction well I'm happy to go by his/her opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City