Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:44 PM

242 posts, read 927,059 times

Advertisements

Focus on your education. He helps those who help themselves. You can probably find a studio or one bedrooom in bensonhurst, especially if your italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 07:56 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I'm not trying to be "racist" but if your White you do NOT want to live inside city housing. There are a few (Maybe 3) White complexes located in Brooklyn and Queens but they are tough to get into. Even the White complexes deal with problems like maintaince and crime although it is not at the level of the Black/Latino housing complexes. Another forumer (Scatman) informed me that the Marcy NYCHA complex has a "White section" populated with Hassids. They do not like outsiders and it is difficult to get in (In other words, you have to know people). The surrounding area and the rest of the complex is also ****. As for the other White complexes, even the Blacks and Latinos want in so they are almost impossible to get into.

Section 8 buildings are also very crime prone and usually in **** shape. Most are located in crap areas as well. The ones in high crime/poverty areas are no different from the PJ's, many times worse.

Section 8 would be the better deal for you but choose your neighborhood and building wisely. Very important.
You got individual housing crime statistics?

Old 09-30-2007, 08:01 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
You got individual housing crime statistics?
There used to be a list on the net I found based off PSA stats of the "most dangerous" housing developments of the city (It was obviously put out by a cop, only way to get those numbers). A couple developments had crime rates out of this world. It's too bad I don't have it anymore.

All housing has above average crime rates though, especially when compared to the surrounding communities. Most are very high, some extreme.

Last edited by Hustla718; 09-30-2007 at 08:12 PM..

Old 09-30-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
All housing has above average crime rates though, especially when compared to the surrounding communities. Most are very high, some extreme.
I agree on the overall statement, but pick your words better. It's not all housing, but most.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I agree on the overall statement, but pick your words better. It's not all housing, but most.
I know we had disagreements over this topic in the past but here me out.

Even the 3-4 NYCHA complexes considered "decent" have slightly higher then average crime rates. Especially when you compare them to the surrounding communities. They are the centers of vice in the area. Even the design of the complex breeds crime. For example, you can guarentee most of the muggings in the area around the Pomonok Houses for example went down inside or around that development. The pathways off the street play a part, easy location to commit muggings.

Of course the rest go from high crime rates to extreme.

The PJs will always lead to higher then average crime rates. Look this is Pomonok Houses, one of the few PJ's in NYC with a low crime rate compared to the rest. A crime rate only above average:

ESU trucks mean shootings/homicides/crime scenes. Not a rare sight even there.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:45 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Its cool being able to see those shots

Old 09-30-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:

^^^Active crime scene or ESU just passing by^^^ PSA 9 is located inside Pomonok. From what I hear Pomonok has got worse from what it once was...

There's always an exception to the rule. Senior citizen developments like Forrest Hills don't encounter such "above average crime" when compared to the neighborhood. You paint all housing projects with the same brush, that's my problem when you describe them.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:48 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be "racist" but if your White you do NOT want to live inside city housing. There are a few (Maybe 3) White complexes located in Brooklyn and Queens but they are tough to get into. Even the White complexes deal with problems like maintaince and crime although it is not at the level of the Black/Latino housing complexes. Another forumer (Scatman) informed me that the Marcy NYCHA complex has a "White section" populated with Hassids. They do not like outsiders and it is difficult to get in (In other words, you have to know people). The surrounding area and the rest of the complex is also ****. As for the other White complexes, even the Blacks and Latinos want in so they are almost impossible to get into.

Section 8 buildings are also very crime prone and usually in **** shape. Most are located in crap areas as well. The ones in high crime/poverty areas are no different from the PJ's, many times worse.

Section 8 would be the better deal for you but choose your neighborhood and building wisely. Very important.
My father just got a section 8 apartment in the middle of Bensonhurst. Apartments for section 8 are now scattered, the apartment that you already rent in any area can be approved for section 8.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
^^^Active crime scene or ESU just passing by^^^ PSA 9 is located inside Pomonok. From what I hear Pomonok has got worse from what it once was...

There's always an exception to the rule. Senior citizen developments like Forrest Hills don't encounter such "above average crime" when compared to the neighborhood. You paint all housing projects with the same brush, that's my problem when you describe them.
Active crime scene according to the article and the parking (Capt/LT/DI would go nuts if they left them there like that).

However even senior developments suffer from the same problems. Middletown Plaza in the Country Club section of the Bronx. Perfect example. Good neighborhood, a development that is the "hot spot" of the area. Senior housing. The damn grand kids live there and sell crack out the lobby.

They ain't like the damn Mitchel PJ's in the Bronx, but they have crime levels above the average.

It's an unfortunate reality. PJ's will be PJ's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
My father just got a section 8 apartment in the middle of Bensonhurst. Apartments for section 8 are now scattered, the apartment that you already rent in any area can be approved for section 8.
Most section 8 is located in high crime/poverty areas.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 PM

242 posts, read 927,059 times
Quote:
Active crime scene according to the article and the parking (Capt/LT/DI would go nuts if they left them there like that).

However even senior developments suffer from the same problems. Middletown Plaza in the Country Club section of the Bronx. Perfect example. Good neighborhood, a development that is the "hot spot" of the area. Senior housing. The damn grand kids live there and sell crack out the lobby.

They ain't like the damn Mitchel PJ's in the Bronx, but they have crime levels above the average.

It's an unfortunate reality. PJ's will be PJ's.

Most section 8 is located in high crime/poverty areas.
Whatever happened to the days when people trying to sell drugs in a nice neighborhood got narced on or beaten senseless by anonymous "concerned citizens"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: