Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:10 PM

63 posts, read 225,647 times

Advertisements

I'm a 39 y.o. SWF with no kids. I moved out of NYC 2 years ago to try the suburbs. I moved where my mom and siblings moved —Orlando, FL. I was able to buy a house here. I paid $225,000 for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. But I absolutely hate this place and am trying to figure out where I want to go in this country. I'm willing to just break even for my house to get the hell out of here. I miss NYC terribly. But I left bc I wasn't able to afford a place of my own. And I also had trouble finding a decent guy to settle down with.

I didn't buy in NYC when I was able to - when prices were relatively reasonable. Now I am tormented by what I didn't do. When I was still there I was reminded every day that I didn't buy. because people were constantly talking about real estate. everywhere. the grocery store, the subway, in restaurants, parks....couldn't escape! If I go back there I will have to start from scratch. paying mega-bucks for teeny apartment (probably in an unhip, far-from-the-city neighborhood).

I don't know if I can go to any other city because I lived in NYC almost all my life. And no other city compares!

I'm an artist and a graphic designer. NYC has most of the graphic design jobs and obviously the best art scene. I have been thinkng about Chicago, but I don't think I can deal with the harsh winters. I also don't know anyone there. I still have lots of friends in NYC.

I don't know what kind of advice anyone has, but any wise, soothing comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by artdesignlou; 09-30-2007 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 06:20 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
True, you may not get what you want in NY, but you've got equity in a place there. Your credit rating is probably good. I never bought anything yet so imagine what I feel--I am waiting until my credit goes up a few points so i can get better rates

Old 09-30-2007, 06:30 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,260 times
You should reevaluate why you left?

Was it the kids? If so moving back to NYC will not help them. The schools suck, the housing that is decent to raise a family in is unaffordable, and there are all the inner city problems that never seem to go away.

Was it the price? If so you might want to move into a city closer in feel to NYC. Chicago, Boston, Philly, ect... Orlando is a much slower paced city. The burbs are strictly for living.

However give Orlando 12 years and when it becomes a much larger city. It will be impressive.

Reevaluate your reasons for moving and try to get the best out of the place you live. Florida offers the outdoors. Enjoy it. You probably just choose the wrong place to move for you.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:38 PM

I left nyc because the real esate prices were/are unaffordable. Florida has really nice winters, but the summer is so hot, humid and bug-filled that I don't even want to step foot outside!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:44 PM

Default equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
True, you may not get what you want in NY, but you've got equity in a place there. Your credit rating is probably good. I never bought anything yet so imagine what I feel--I am waiting until my credit goes up a few points so i can get better rates

do you mean I have equity in the house i have in florida?

Old 09-30-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artdesignlou View Post
I left nyc because the real esate prices were/are unaffordable. Florida has really nice winters, but the summer is so hot, humid and bug-filled that I don't even want to step foot outside!
Have you thought about North Carolina/Maryland? Maybe Baltimore? DC?

Old 09-30-2007, 06:56 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,860 times
Was it the kids?

She says she has no kids.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
Was it the kids?

She says she has no kids.
Trying to start a problem?

I just noticed that and that is why I questioned her reasons for leaving NYC...

However I have recommended cities with lower living cost (her reason for leaving) but cooler weather with a similar feel to NYC. A denser city (Baltimore, MD).

Old 09-30-2007, 07:35 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,502 times
Baltimore MD! LOL! That is a crazy city. Dont listen to Hustla718 please.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Baltimore MD! LOL! That is a crazy city. Dont listen to Hustla718 please.
There are decent areas in Baltimore, MD. Not as many decent areas in terms of percentage of the city like NYC but you can find an affordable home in a nice section of Baltimore, MD.

Have you ever even been there? All cities have good and bad neighborhoods. Baltimore, MD just has more bad neighborhoods then the average city. However there are plenty of decent and nice places to live. It's also much more affordable to live in those areas then compareble in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City