Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:22 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times

Advertisements

They're getting particularly annoying as of late.

I was on the E on my way to work this morning, and this woman comes straight up to me and starts some spiel about needing taxi fare. I normally completely ignore them, but this particular woman couldn't take a hint for anything in the world.

Finally, after about two minutes, I looked her straight in the eye and told her to "get the [censored] out of my face." She looked at me like I was crazy and walked away in complete shock.

Some people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 01:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,311 times
Do that. Say no thanks or sorry i don't have anything. They give you a problem, skip to get the bleep out of my face. Done and done.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
They're getting particularly annoying as of late.

I was on the E on my way to work this morning, and this woman comes straight up to me and starts some spiel about needing taxi fare. I normally completely ignore them, but this particular woman couldn't take a hint for anything in the world.

Finally, after about two minutes, I looked her straight in the eye and told her to "get the [censored] out of my face." She looked at me like I was crazy and walked away in complete shock.

Some people...
I'd tell them "Sorry, I don't have anything for you" or something like that and hopefully they will move on. If they don't, then I'd get up and walk quietly to another part of the car if you can. If there is nowhere for you to go, then I'd just continue to ignore them until the doors open at the next stop then go to another car.

I know you shouldn't have to, but frankly its the extremely aggressive panhandlers that you have to watch out for. They are the most likely to get violent and are just looking for an excuse to take out their frustration on you.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:42 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,228,257 times
i was smoking a cigarette and a guy comes up to me and asks for one.
i politely say "i am sorry but this is my last one."
he calls me a "cheap f*ck" and walks away.
i was so dumbfounded, i was totally lost for words.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM

91 posts, read 152,363 times
Usually go the "Sorry, man. I don't have any" route.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,748 times
Yes, they are getting particularly aggressive and annoying, as of late. It's important to stand your ground and not let them intimidate you. If they get too close, make it clear to them in no certain terms to get the %^&%^&^ out of your face. After working and paying taxes all day, I don't want to have to smell their disgusting drug addled stench or have to listen to their drama. I carry a can of small bear mace in my bag that I have as a back up.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:54 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,305 times
They aren't as confrontational in Austin, but they ARE everywhere!! Every corner near every light in every part of town. It's in my top 5 annoyances.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 PM

271 posts, read 532,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
i was smoking a cigarette and a guy comes up to me and asks for one.
i politely say "i am sorry but this is my last one."
he calls me a "cheap f*ck" and walks away.
i was so dumbfounded, i was totally lost for words.
I'll share my trick with you:

I make sure no one (who would ask, you can usually spot them) is around when I remove a smoke from the pack. If someone comes up to me while I'm smoking, I just say my pack is at my office and then I'd point to some building a few blocks away. Saying you only took one from your pack before you left your house works too, if there isn't an office tower around. Never say "it's my last one", but sometimes when I know it's my last one, I'll pull out my empty pack like I'm pretending to give them one and then show them the empty pack. They usually laugh or say "no problem" or something and I curse them under my breath when they're gone. When all else fails, just keep an empty pack on you and rotate a couple smokes into that empty pack.

It's crazy how aggressive people can get when they want a cigarette.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM

446 posts, read 997,650 times
Don't make eye contact. None.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,922 times
Well done.
I usually ignore them too.
Some pushy ones will come up to your face and ask you.
I say in unequivocal terms 'NO'.
It works every time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City