Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times

Advertisements

In the city, it seems like every place wants experience of 2-3 years. How do you get into doing mortgage processing? I know there is a certificate program but I don't know if I should drop the money on it if they are only looking for experience. And how do I get experience? Am I supposed to go another route? I have 6 years banking experience from branch to call center to back office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
[Please forgive any spelling errors, no time to proof]

"Mortgage Processing"?

What do you mean?

Some back office 'clerk' position, requiring no college?

Or, Mortgage Originator?

In any event, why not go and speak to one of the branch managers at the bank you work or have worked for. Better yet, if you still work for a bank, then call up Human Resources, ask for an appt to discuss your career optics and goals.

I also suggest you hit the library (or possible online somewhere) and check out the Occupational Handbook.
Oh, here's the site: Home : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

The site will not only have info on ALL sorts of jobs and professions, but also the requirements for entering the field.

Obtaining experience is the oxymoron of the job search. If experience is required, and you have none, how do you get experience? Everyone races the same issue, when they start.

Smart college kids do Internships, that is work for FREE in order to gain experience. If you are going to a top school and study for a top field, then there are paid internships.

Do you have a college degree?

In any event, you can be proactive. If you are determined in a particular are, then you call or write. I suggest writing firaar (or emailing) a resume and cover peter detailing your experience, references, and ambitions. Explain that you are seeking experience, and ask if you could meet with them to discuss the possibility of working as an (unpaid) Intern.

Do the same thing with the Human Resource Dept of Banks, ask to speak to discuss the requirements for particular positions.

If you are open, honest, and most importantly well articulated, you will find that people will be willing to, at least, speak with (in person or just over the phone). You will NEED to present yourself in a professional manner, dress and speech.

CREATING opportunity for yourself and finding promising employment requires a determined effort and is a full time job in itself, 24/7 365!

Success may first squire one to deal with other issues in one's life which may pose as obstacles. Decisions and sacrifices have to be made. Hard decisions. It is not easy, but the sacrifices you make today will pay off in the future. The key is in determine which are the correct decisions and sacrifice. Make the wrong choices, and despite any effort and sacrifice will be wasted.

Be creative! 'Gladhand'! That is find out where people in a particular profession hang out for lunch or after work. Go there, "gladhand", "Hi, my name is.... I'm interested in your profession, can you take a moment and tell me something about what you do?

Life works in many ways, you just have to the way which works for you. Be smart, be determined, and ready to sacrifice!

I, personally, have employed the methods above, to success. Always be professional, articulate, clean and well dressed. If you are not that, then make yourself that. Be bold, attack life!

Luck!

Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Looked it up. As I suspected, clerical positions, but positions which require a certain knowledge.

I have years of dealing with people in these positions as a paralegal preparing and doing property Closings for my office.

These positions are found in banks and outside of NYC, mostly in Title Companies, as Title companies run Closing in most other states.

Do you need to get a Certificate? Not really, BUT you do NEED experience and KNOWLEDGE most of all. Taking a course is likely to give you the basics, teach you language and the basic 'processes', but it will NOT give you real world experience. A certificate will NOT substitute for real world 'experience'.

So, will a certificate open the doors?

Not if the employer is looking for experienced people.

The certificate will serve to show/certify that you have particular relevant knowledge that the average person does not. Is it enough to get a job in the field? ONLY in a TRAINING position.

So, are their "training" positions available?

Perhaps in another state or city, you might find a clerical trainee position in a Title Company, but in NYC, experience is demanded in most things.

The best hope w/b some of the things (after completing the certificate) I suggested in the pre ions post.

But, I imagine and hope that the Certificate schools can and do place their students into actual jobs. A company looking for trainees with some basic knowledge *may* work with such schools. Though I w/b highly skeptical!

I suggest you talk with the placement people at the school. Find out how many graduates they claim to place into positions. Get the names of companies the school works with.

Then make inquires!! Use some of the techniques I suggested, and find out if the school is legit in its placement claims. Again, contact Human Resources of particular companies and inquire!

Before putting down your money be CERTAIN what you are buying. If you are hoping for a virtual guarantee of placement then you need to know they can do what is promised.

If, in the stead, you are simply *determined* to enter this field, then obtaining just the knowledge may be worth the cost for you. Yet, as you are aware experience is till necessary.

Though, having the Certificate just *may* go along way in obtaining an Internship which will allow you to gain experience. Often Interns are offered jobs after completing the Internship.

So, the choice and effort is yours to make. Create your own opportunity. Just realize, there is NO guarantees in life. Again, no matter what the Profession, if you do not present yourself well, experience, knowledge won't matter. Life is a competition.

Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City