Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:29 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,833 times

Advertisements

So, I picked wonton soup form on my way home the other day and found a roach in it. Yes, it's not just an urban legend and I can attest that it does indeed happen. Thank GOD it was before I ate any of it. In fact, I made sure to check my food before I ate it because after I ordered, I noticed that the restaurant had a "C" heath rating. For those that don't know, C is the lowest grade you can get before the DOH shuts you down. Now, since I picked up the food on my way home & didn't notice the roach in it until I was at home, it wasn't worth me going back to complain (especially since the soup was only $2.50). What's more, I'm sure they would've claimed that I put the roach in there or something. Obviously I am never eating there again but I feel compelled to do more than write a stern warning on Yelp (which I already did). I mean, I looked them up on the DOH site and I see a list of their "critical violations" which completely explain why I found the roach but I feel that this is so beyond unacceptable something needs to be said/done. Can I file a complaint with the NYC DOH or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 02:32 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,583,787 times
I hope you at least called the restaurant and let them know. Even if you feel it's "too late to complain" the restaurant might be trying to actively fight a severe problem in their building and you should let them know of any failure to do so. It's up to you whether to call the DOH but I would at least notify the restaurant of your discovery in their soup. Some restaurants just don't care and are rightfully shut down. Others are trying to take the steps necessary to rectify some infestations.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,243,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
So, I picked wonton soup form on my way home the other day and found a roach in it. Yes, it's not just an urban legend and I can attest that it does indeed happen. Thank GOD it was before I ate any of it. In fact, I made sure to check my food before I ate it because after I ordered, I noticed that the restaurant had a "C" heath rating. For those that don't know, C is the lowest grade you can get before the DOH shuts you down. Now, since I picked up the food on my way home & didn't notice the roach in it until I was at home, it wasn't worth me going back to complain (especially since the soup was only $2.50). What's more, I'm sure they would've claimed that I put the roach in there or something. Obviously I am never eating there again but I feel compelled to do more than write a stern warning on Yelp (which I already did). I mean, I looked them up on the DOH site and I see a list of their "critical violations" which completely explain why I found the roach but I feel that this is so beyond unacceptable something needs to be said/done. Can I file a complaint with the NYC DOH or something?
Is there no other Chinese take out you could have gone to? I see no reason to actually buy food from restaurant with a C rating. I would definitely file the complaint because it sounds like this restaurant needs to be shut down. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to and I'm sure if people complain, it will support their actions and critical violations list to shut down the dump.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I hope you at least called the restaurant and let them know. Even if you feel it's "too late to complain" the restaurant might be trying to actively fight a severe problem in their building and you should let them know of any failure to do so. It's up to you whether to call the DOH but I would at least notify the restaurant of your discovery in their soup. Some restaurants just don't care and are rightfully shut down. Others are trying to take the steps necessary to rectify some infestations.
I don't know about that. If I'm a restaurant owner with a list of critical violations, I need to make sure no food is contaminated. The restaurant should be closed and they need to do a thorough extermination, sterilize pots and utensils and throw out all containers that are exposed to the infestation and/or pesticide. It's easier to close for a week than to get shut down by the DoH. Quite frankly, I don't understand why they allow "C" rating restaurants to continue to operate. As a restaurant owner I'd be embarassed to display a "C" in my window.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Is there no other Chinese take out you could have gone to? I see no reason to actually buy food from restaurant with a C rating. I would definitely file the complaint because it sounds like this restaurant needs to be shut down. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to and I'm sure if people complain, it will support their actions and critical violations list to shut down the dump.
Reread my post. I checked my food BECAUSE I realized it was rated with a C but that realization only came AFTER I had ordered and paid! I wouldn't have eaten there if I had known that before ordering! The C rating, by the way, was not placed prominently in view. It was WAAAAY in the corner above the order widow and I wouldn't have even noticed it had I not sat down in that corner to wait for my order. Matter fact, that should be part of the complaint. You are supposed to see the rating right when you walk in!

Oh! And I should add that after I left the place thinking "s**t, I just ordered from this "C" place and every single other place on this block has an A rating..." After finding that roach, it is absolutely a warning to me (and others) to take those ratings seriously! Especially now that I have reviewed the critical violations associated with that C! I'm really disgusted.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Reread my post. I checked my food BECAUSE I realized it was rated with a C but that realization only came AFTER I had ordered and paid! I wouldn't have eaten there if I had known that before ordering! The C rating, by the way, was not placed prominently in view. It was WAAAAY in the corner above the order widow and I wouldn't have even noticed it had I not sat down in that corner to wait for my order. Matter fact, that should be part of the complaint. You are supposed to see the rating right when you walk in!

Oh! And I should add that after I left the place thinking "s**t, I just ordered from this "C" place and every single other place on this block has an A rating..." After finding that roach, it is absolutely a warning to me (and others) to take those ratings seriously! Especially now that I have reviewed the critical violations associated with that C! I'm really disgusted.
I don't need to reread it. Sorry, you only said you noticed it after you "ordered" and now said it was after you ordered and paid. Some places let you pay after they give you the order that's why I questioned why you'd eat there. I guess we now know why they're hiding the rating when they're competing with A rated restaurants. This just reminded me of this commercial lol...

Toyota Corolla: Rating :15 - YouTube

Old 07-16-2012, 03:21 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,144,220 times
How many stars does the place get on Yelp, and have many people reviewed it? I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
How many stars does the place get on Yelp, and have many people reviewed it? I'm just asking out of curiosity.
Four stars with three reviews. Interesting to note though that it had an A rating last time around (I've been reviewing the grade history for this place). How they could go from an A to a C is pretty unsettling.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:41 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,909,097 times
Im not very fond of chinese food but coincidentally the only time I've seen a roach walking around on a 'A' rated restaurant, was in a Chinese place.
I've noticed that even some dirty looking kitchens get A's from the city, so I would take their grading system with a grain of salt.
And avoid by all means anything below an A rating.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Four stars with three reviews. Interesting to note though that it had an A rating last time around (I've been reviewing the grade history for this place). How they could go from an A to a C is pretty unsettling.

Does the DoH have a date time period? To go from A to C is BAD. But I would certainly file a complaint. If it happened to you it probably happened to who knows how many other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City