Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:20 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times

Advertisements

I would be lost without my car. Can't imagine being without it. Oh, so I don't drive in Manhattan - except once or twice a year, usually on a week night going to dinner with friends. But around here, being without a car is a serious disadvantage.

You see, there is no subway system in the forgotten borough - there's a light rail which only goes from a to b or a to c. If you want to get from d to e, you'd have to take a car service or drive. The buses go round and round and never near where you need to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
I love it.

when I have to use a car I do but that's not too often.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I love it.

when I have to use a car I do but that's not too often.
Same here.

When I need a car it's usually for a short period of time, so having a Zipcar account comes in handy.

Otherwise, while the trains suck on the weekends, it serves the purpose and I don't have to worry about traffic. Unless I take a cab home. But that's another story.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:30 PM

371 posts, read 625,009 times
I live in Queens. When I used to work in Long Island, I had a car. I also had a parking spot both at work and at home so no worrying about the stress of finding a spot or getting a ticket. When I started to work in Manhattan, I ditched the car. I loved having the car to go grocery shopping or to Ikea or to the beach (no one likes carrying beach chairs and umbrellas on public transportation). Would I get a car now if I could? No, it doesn't fit my lifestyle any more- my current place offers no parking and I really don't like the stress of driving in Manhattan. If I moved to suburbia I would be more than happy to have a car. I love having a car, just not in NYC.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:37 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,525 times
I used to want a car but that was before gas prices and other really high costs for keeping one. Most of my business is either done at home or at places easily reachable by the system. If I ever did drive again, I think I'd do zipcar, which allows you to drive when you need. One thing that having an unlimited metrocard does as opposed to a car is that it motivates you to see more places in the city than you normally might not because if you're playing 29 or 50 for a card, what sense does it make not to use it as often as possible

Old 07-23-2012, 03:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
I love it. I don't even have a license anymore. However, I'm extremely lucky in terms of location. I live two short blocks from Union Square and can be almost anywhere south of 100th Street in 15 to 20 minutes, usually without transferring. If I lived in Flushing I might feel differently.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:41 PM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I do not like to drive (although I do have a driver's license). So I like the fact that I can get around easily by public transportation in NYC and that there is subway service 24/7 which makes it easier to come home or leave home at unusual hours when necessary.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:52 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh I forgot to mention that when one day my wife and I leave the city for Chicago, we will definitely be buying a car and a place to park it there. I can see getting to a point in my life with wanting to have a car again regardless of how much I use the train system and love commuting that way.
Whats up urban? You guys setting your sites on Chicago now? I thought you two were thinking of getting a place in Bed Sty?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:02 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Delighted not to worry about a car. Or car insurance. Or parking problems. Delighted to know that it's ecologically more virtuous to be taking public transportation.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:07 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Except I have had a car in the past. Mind you I think about 90% of my stress at that time was related to parking the damn thing. Had I had the budget to pay for a spot I probably would not have grown so sour on it.
Yeah me too. Driving in the city doesn't bother me a bit. Years ago for extra cash I drove yellow taxi and did some messenger work with my car (late 80's-early 90's). I'm a great city driver but the parking frustrates me.

When I stayed in pre hipster Greenpoint parking was easy. Moving to Bay Ridge changed all that, it's rough around here. I got so that I wouldn't take the car in fear of losing that great spot or driving around what seemed like forever looking for a new spot when I got home!

Therefore, last June (2011) I sold it!! I was so relieved! But, in July 2011 my girlfriend moved from the city where she had parking, to literally right around the corner from me, a two minute walk. She has no other real reliable option but to use her car for work. Guess who does the Bay Ridge parking shuffle when she gets home? Good thing is while I'm doing that she's setting up dinner.

I drive more now with her than when I owned my own car. After awhile you get to know the tricks and hot spots. I can scope down most of there blocks around here and know it's shot from the minute I get on that block. You learn which gaps are driveways or fire hydrants or to you old school New Yorkers, Johnny Pumps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City