Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:15 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,821 times

Advertisements

On another thread we strayed off topic about how neighborhoods with high concentrations of poverty ate associated with crime, "ghetto" behavior, wayward kids, filth, etc. However, this was not always the case. One poster mentioned that walking through the projects, you'd see men in suits going to work, supervised kids who were disciplined, who went to some of the best high schools in the city.

So, what happened? Once the "cream" of these neighborhoods did well and moved on, only the most disinfranched remain?

Just curious on some theories you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 05:20 PM

359 posts, read 329,651 times
ummmmm...no education = no jobs = no money = crime/drugs = violence = pissed off people

Old 04-18-2012, 05:32 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
On another thread we strayed off topic about how neighborhoods with high concentrations of poverty ate associated with crime, "ghetto" behavior, wayward kids, filth, etc. However, this was not always the case. One poster mentioned that walking through the projects, you'd see men in suits going to work, supervised kids who were disciplined, who went to some of the best high schools in the city.

So, what happened? Once the "cream" of these neighborhoods did well and moved on, only the most disinfranched remain?

Not sure but I'll be surprised if this thread doesn't turn ugly.

The crime stats and poverty rates indicate that some of the stories about how great all these neighborhoods used to be may be because people are looking in the rearview mirror with rose colored glasses on.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-18-2012 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Not sure but I'll be surprised if this thread doesn't turn ugly.

The crime stats and poverty rates indicate that some of the stories about how great all these neighborhoods used to be may be because people are looking in the rearview mirror with rose colored glasses on.
Okay, in an attempt for this to not get ugly, let's try not to.

ALSO, I'm going to ask that we can look at these neighborhoods during the period PRIOR TO THE CRACK ERA. So let's go up to 1980. Crack ushered in some problems that were not there prior.

One theory I have is that lower income people were spread out all over the city. They weren't concentrated on public housing or "affordable housing" where Section 8 vouchers are used to subsidize rent.

Poor people rented apartments in neighborhoods with mixed incomes and professional levels, and I believe this had something to do with the different value structure that existed back then. For example, you could have a family owning a brownstone in Bed Stuy or Park Slope, and in the house next door, the family is renting an apartment and they receive public assistance. Perhaps this proximity to people with different values was motivational.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 PM

80 posts, read 345,400 times
Quote:
Okay, in an attempt for this to not get ugly, let's try not to.

ALSO, I'm going to ask that we can look at these neighborhoods during the period PRIOR TO THE CRACK ERA. So let's go up to 1980. Crack ushered in some problems that were not there prior.

One theory I have is that lower income people were spread out all over the city. They weren't concentrated on public housing or "affordable housing" where Section 8 vouchers are used to subsidize rent.

Poor people rented apartments in neighborhoods with mixed incomes and professional levels, and I believe this had something to do with the different value structure that existed back then. For example, you could have a family owning a brownstone in Bed Stuy or Park Slope, and in the house next door, the family is renting an apartment and they receive public assistance. Perhaps this proximity to people with different values was motivational.
Well prior of the crack era is in the beginning of 1970s ill go back further, capital spending s and new york was in a really really debt hole nyc didnt have money for loans to pay back and mayor abe started cutting programs and funds to lower class. So then proverty hit the poor then middle. And theses neighborhoods bronx for example people were homeless , white flight, and landlords didnt care about apartments so then people and landlords start burning the place down to see if insurance would cover it so they get money in there pockets.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,253,334 times
Tell us Webster Ave Guy, tell the story about Poe Park and strawberry ice-cream!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Low income areas has always been bad since the development of the city in the 19th century. LES has been a very bad area for the past 150 years only until gentrification came and changed everything in that area. Also les was a low income immigrant hood from Irish to Jewish and Italian to puerto rican. Harlem also turned into a low income area during the end of the 19th century harboring low income immigrants and later migrants or transplants from the south known as African Americans. Areas like mott haven and the south bronx was also a low income tenement dominated area it too had a high rate of crime for much of its history. Prohibition era in the south Bronx was just as bad as crack cocaine era. I cant believe people on here think that only prior to the 1980s that much of NYC had good working low income class areas and become bad during crack cocaine era

Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Tell us Webster Ave Guy, tell the story about Poe Park and strawberry ice-cream!
And the rosy cheeked children dancing in the streets ?

His memories of the North Bronx back in the good old days don't coincide with my memories of when I used to visit my aunt in Norwood when I was a kid.I remember it as being a lot scarier than it is today.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Lets not forget about people like Dutch Schultz from the south Bronx, Meyer lansky and lucky luciano of tue les all come from bad low income areas of those eras.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:

Nobody cares.

Their lifestyle is accepted and excused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City