Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 PM

11 posts, read 26,275 times

Advertisements

So my friend has some money for a downpayment. So do I, but each one of us, individually, don't
have enough to give downpayment for a 2 family house, so he was toying with the idea of buying together a 2 family house and legally split it between his family and mine.
Is this possible? and if so, would it be a good idea to do this?
I have a great relationship with him and his family, but I'm afraid that this might bring some trouble
down the road.

what do you guys think about this?

by the way, we're looking at 2 family houses around Maimodenes hospital in Brooklyn.

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 01:44 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Don't do it.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Not sure, if and how this is done the legal way, but what's the plan when one of you (in the worst case scenario) loses his job and can't make mortgage payments?

This seems like a good receipie for disaster, or at least one that might end your friendship.
Be careful.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Ditto Blue dog...

DONT DO IT.

You wont be friends for long if you do

Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I say don't do it but 2 people can have names on a title, each owning 50%. Financing though is completely different.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
It can be done but like everyone else, I suggest NOT doing it. We have friends who jointly purchased a multi-dwelling home. Long story short, it started to get ugly when it came to getting things fixed and guys having to put up some extra money for renovations or upkeeping. Some wanted to be the "investors" only and wanted no part of going up to the house to check things, etc. They ended up buying one guy out but ultimately they sold the house. These were guys that knew each other their whole lives. It wasn't worth ruining the lifelong friendships. Friends and money rarely mix well.

OP, the intention sounds great but it's what can happen down the road that can ruin everything. Also, I'm not sure how the tax filing would work. It sounds like it would be a joint venture (like a business transaction) for both of you to put up the financing but I can be wrong.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
You'd have to set up a condominium or co-operative. Tough with two because the votes might often wind up a 1-1 tie.

Why not combine your downpayments and have ONE of you buy while granting the other a long leasehold with favorable terms and rights of renewal dependant on how much the "tenant" kicked in. Perhaps tenant could get the contractual right of first refusal in the the even the "owner" wants to sell.
Perhaps owner could have the right to terminate the leasehold with payment of a stipulated sum...like the amount the tenant kicked in with interest?
Lots of workarounds.

But we all know the old saw about good fences making good neighbors. So probably the best idea is forget the plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: