Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times

Advertisements

staten island is like an exclusive city within ny city.
it has a rail tho so people can get around the island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 PM

46 posts, read 135,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Well, me personally, I don't care if I'm out in a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. I'm still locking my doors no matter what. When my family visited a friend out in suburban NJ, even though it was a perfectly safe area, we still felt uncomfortable leaving the car doors unlocked, just out of force of habit.

But realistically, if I were to leave the doors of my home/car unlocked, chances are nothing would happen. There aren't people wandering around looking to break into anything.

As for traffic, if you go out into Long Island or Westchester, you have areas with traffic jams (and I'm not necessarily talking about areas like White Plains. I've heard of traffic jams out in areas like Ronkonkoma)

As for suburban, while it's still more urban than many areas of the country, you can't sit there and say it's almost like Queens or Brooklyn. Very few neighborhoods have apartment buildings. While there are a lot of townhouses, they're mixed in with larger houses, so the area doesn't have that consistantly dense feel you find in many parts of Queens & Brooklyn.

You can't compare this to this. Notice how much closer the homes are built in the second link, and how much less greenery there is, and if I were to pick an area like Park Slope, there would be absolutely no comparison.
If you live in NY believe me there are plenty of strange people that constantly walk around checking to see if people's houses or car doors are open. In NJ its a totally different world you don't see any foot traffic unless you live in a really urban area so chances are its much safer by a long shot over their compared to over here in NY with that kind of thing.

Yes, their are plenty of traffic problems in those areas your mentioning but not as extreme, not even close. Everything is much more spread out as you go out to those outside communities, they are suburban towns, no comparison.

As for Staten Island being like Brooklyn & Queens. I never said it was almost like them. Staten Island has its own identity and uniqueness, it doesn't have to be like them but there are some similarites in a lot of the neighborhoods. We don't even have to say Queens because its not really that much of a difference, the majority of the parts compared to SI. I would just say Brooklyn since thats more of the superior one out of all of them in density wise and apartment buildings all over the place. A lot of areas on Staten Island do have row houses/town houses and multifamily houses on blocks at a time sometimes without seperation of a single family home,( it depends on the block) which makes it have that Brooklyn condensed feeling to it. Depending what neighborhood your in on the island some have plenty of aparment buildings in one area mostly more in the north shore and other neighborhoods more near the south shore a few too almost none, again depends on what part your looking in.

Also that link you have up, I know that street and that is propbably one of the most least densed street you picked out of that whole part of the island, between me and you and I'm sure other people that live around here know that 90% of Staten Island does not look like that. Most of it looks like jammed parked cars parked on side of the street with connecting housing or at least houses that are right next too or on top of each other with hardly a yard. Not a big deal. Just saying. Thats reality living for most of Staten Island.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 PM

255 posts, read 475,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
My aunt who lives in Staten Island says that she feels that she and her neighbors are neglected by the NYC government. She says the NYC government pays little attention to Staten Island and the needs to the borough. I guess it could be true in a way: Staten Island is the only borough not hooked up to the NYC Subway, it is only linked to the rest of the city by the Verrazano-Narrows bridge to the far southwest side of Brooklyn, commuters to Manhattan have to travel by ferry, the borough seems like a whole other city outside of NYC. Any other Staten Islanders feel this way??
Back in the 1920s, the Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit company (Today, lines J, Half of the M, Most of the R, N, Q, Z, L and Franklin Shuttle) began building a subway connection to SI from the 4th Ave. subway under Owls Head Park. Construction got as far as 150 feet under the Narrows before construction stopped. (A vent exists in the park where the tunnel is) The blame for that one goes to Mayor Hylan. He had a grudge against the BMT for firing him. In a sense, that grudge is responsible for the creation of the INDependent Subway System, the original lines A-G.

That and the residents at the time were against for many years. One of the reasons being that they didn't want "undesirables" moving to the island.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM

387 posts, read 680,330 times
We still don't want "undesirables" moving here.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 PM

And what would that be?

Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
And what would that be?
I knew I was right lol. Too late for that.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
no one wants that, unless you're trying to sneak in some racism or
classism there.
if that's the case, there is nothing you can do to stop anyone from living
wherever they want that they can afford.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Gosh...
They choose exclusion and then they WHINE about it.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:16 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Actually, there are some parts of Staten Island that feel a bit rural, if only in very small swaths. Down near Tottenville specifically, but also in other parts where you are essentially surrounded by the Greenbelt.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:30 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
What boro were we talking about? I forgot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City