Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 21,404 times

Advertisements

wassup,newbie here living in east harlem looking to move to the bronx..got a good deal on a one bedroom on theiriot ave..i took the 2/5 to 180th and walked to 1565 thieriot or 6 to parkchester and walked(longer route) wondering if anybody can comment on the area?parkchester wall a really nice area to walk threw alot of stores and mixed family and crowds..

they call is park versallies i believe.. i went in the daytime it was quiet and drove by around night time also quiet but not on the weekends..this is right off parkchester any input guys??

how the east 180th stop in the night time?? i live in east harlem and its not your normal area..seen stabings/been stabbed,jumped,fought most of my life and made friends after..im a young working professional who works for the big blue..but love the giant bronx apartsment and its close to my parents in harlem by the 5 line/and close to job by the 2 line..

address is 1565 theiriot ave..3 blocks from parkchester and right off east tremont lots of auto parts stores and garages look more industrial on that side on east tremont than residential..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
it's not like Hunts Point/W Farms but not as good as areas further east (like Westchester Square)

Old 05-09-2012, 10:08 PM

so its a ok area??apartment is huge its not like i will be hanging out around..just coming home around 10pm latest on train wanted to know area ..and how the are to walk to from 2/5 or 6 train

Old 05-09-2012, 11:36 PM

Anyone else?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic2186 View Post
wassup,newbie here living in east harlem looking to move to the bronx..got a good deal on a one bedroom on theiriot ave..i took the 2/5 to 180th and walked to 1565 thieriot or 6 to parkchester and walked(longer route) wondering if anybody can comment on the area?parkchester wall a really nice area to walk threw alot of stores and mixed family and crowds..

they call is park versallies i believe.. i went in the daytime it was quiet and drove by around night time also quiet but not on the weekends..this is right off parkchester any input guys??

how the east 180th stop in the night time?? i live in east harlem and its not your normal area..seen stabings/been stabbed,jumped,fought most of my life and made friends after..im a young working professional who works for the big blue..but love the giant bronx apartsment and its close to my parents in harlem by the 5 line/and close to job by the 2 line..

address is 1565 theiriot ave..3 blocks from parkchester and right off east tremont lots of auto parts stores and garages look more industrial on that side on east tremont than residential..
Usually I would recommend 6 train to Parkchester and walk the longer route but in your case since you come from East Harlem and been stabbed already (doesn't mean it can't happen again though) you should manage the East 180th street stop which is going to be desolate at night. Parkchester is a nice area but East Tremont Avenue is crap.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:17 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
That neighborhood is very similar to East Harlem socially. Should eventually be getting a Metro North stop but don't count on that any time in the near future. Little to no gentrification going on, the exception being the nearby Parkchester complex.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
It's called Park Versailles.This is about as "middle of the road" in Bronx neighborhoods as you an get.Not an awful neighborhood but not great either.Definitely nicer on the East (Parkchester)and North(Van Nest and Lower Morris Park) and worse to the West (West Farms,E Tremont).

As far as crime rate and quality of life issues I would rather live there(here) than in most of E Harlem but only you can decide.I'm willing to guess that the apartment is probably at least twice as big as what you would get in E Harlem for the same amount of money so that's definitely something to consider.

Not sure about the 180th st area late at night. You might want to check it out yourself.If you decide it is too creepy you might consider using the Parkchester stop even though it's a block or two further away.The walk up White Plains Road would probably be quite busy v from 180th which might be a little desolate late at night.During the daytime and evening you should have no problem at all with 180th.

There are also some decent shops,bars and restaurants up on Morris Park Ave which is only 4 or 5 blocks to the North.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:09 AM

I wouldn't call it middle of the road, there is a lot of street level drug activity along Archer St. I would say the crime rate there is above average. Not sure about the condition of the larger apartment buildings now, but they were pretty ****ty. Very comparable to East Harlem. Mostly poor and lower income working families, immigrants, ghetto low lives, and some solid lower middle class. A lot of people have relocated to that area from neoghborhoods like Harlem and the South Bronx.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:30 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I wouldn't call it middle of the road, there is a lot of street level drug activity along Archer St. I would say the crime rate there is above average. Not sure about the condition of the larger apartment buildings now, but they were pretty ****ty. Very comparable to East Harlem. Mostly poor and lower income working families, immigrants, ghetto low lives, and some solid lower middle class. A lot of people have relocated to that area from neoghborhoods like Harlem and the South Bronx.
I said "middle of the road" for The Bronx ,which is not the same as just middle of the road.The reason why I phrased it that way is because ,as someone who lives and works and spends virtually all day every day in The Bronx,there is at least 1/2 of the borough that I think is worse ( a lot of it much worse)than this neighborhood and I would not consider living in under any circumstances.

I found a video of a 2 br apt for rent in the building(1565 Thierot) and it looks like a pretty well maintained building.The apartment looks pretty nice ,maybe even more than middle of the road for The Bx.

Tour of D-Line Apartment Premiereapartments.com - YouTube

Obviously,"middle of the road for The Bx" is not the same as "middle of the road" on a wider level.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-10-2012 at 05:53 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 AM

I agree, I was thinking in terms of the greater city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City