Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times

Advertisements

I like to think of myself as a foodie. As I get older I find myself wanting to stay local more. Living in the bronx that presents a challenge because its not always easy to find good places. I was hoping to start a thread where people who live in the bronx can share their restaurant experiences good and bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 AM

I'll start off by sharing with you that one of my better mexican cuisine dining experiences in NYC occurred yesterday, and it was in the bronx and on Arthur Ave no less!!

Hidden amongst the Italian eatieries and Albanian cafes is a fine little Mexican restaurant named Estrellita Poblana. They have a nice varied menu with many of the typical items but they also have some specialties from the Puebla region of Mexico.

Food was very good and fairly priced. If you go on a friday or a weekend be prepared to run into some crowds. It appears to be very popular with the college kids. Its not a big place so you might wanna go for an early dinner and avoid crowds. Ohh and they do deliver!!

Estrellita Poblana III Restaurant Menu - Bronx, NY 10458 - (718) 220-7641

Upon further searching, apparently there are several of these in the bronx. Can anyone attest to the quality of the other locations?

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-25-2012 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 01:53 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,434 times
Somebody posted a thread about some nice new restaurant in Melrose I think.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:36 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,632 times
Taqueria Tlaxcalli in Parkchester

Old 03-26-2012, 12:38 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I'll start off by sharing with you that one of my better mexican cuisine dining experiences in NYC occurred yesterday, and it was in the bronx and on Arthur Ave no less!!

Hidden amongst the Italian eatieries and Albanian cafes is a fine little Mexican restaurant named Estrellita Poblana. They have a nice varied menu with many of the typical items but they also have some specialties from the Puebla region of Mexico.

Food was very good and fairly priced. If you go on a friday or a weekend be prepared to run into some crowds. It appears to be very popular with the college kids. Its not a big place so you might wanna go for an early dinner and avoid crowds. Ohh and they do deliver!!

Estrellita Poblana III Restaurant Menu - Bronx, NY 10458 - (718) 220-7641

Upon further searching, apparently there are several of these in the bronx. Can anyone attest to the quality of the other locations?
One of the locations deliever to me, it is pretty good, but i like the one i link to better. My GF is mexican and she loves both, so cant go wrong either way.

Tosca is WAY overrated. Willies Steak House is pretty good.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 PM

21 posts, read 80,288 times
-Real Azteca in Longwood - corn tortillas..Mmmmmmm
-Zero Otto Nove in Belmont - My fav of the Little Italy Italian spots
-Fratellis in Hunts Point - Broccoli Rabe heroes, enough said!
-Mo Gridders in Hunts Point - BBQ in a mechanics shop. Is this place still open? Last two times I passed by it was closed.
-Bruckner Bar and Grill in Mott Have - typical bar food, nice place to grab a drink.
-Feeding Tree, near Yankee Stadium - Jamaican food, reccomended to me as a spot to go before games. It was good though I've had better Jamaican food.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,544,608 times
I agree with NewYowk... We decided to venture to this mexican spot in the middle of little italy in the Bronx after some yelp reviews and food was good.. i gotta say we went a few times and not every time it was on point... i would say the first 2 times we went were good then after that it was thumbs down... we have no idea what happened!! they also sell this chocolate 3 leche cake that is deelish!!

We also tried this mexican spot on 242nd st called "Santa Fe Grill" Food was great drinks were good and staff was warm

Old 04-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Great let's keep posting guys!

Tonight I just went to Ann & Tony's also on Arthur Ave. Very nice intimate Italian spot. Perfect for dates. This was my second time coming here. I went years back. Both times food was good. This time food was better than I remembered it being last time. Did not have a lot of waiters though. Very small place and for a friday night (granted it's good friday) there was only one waiter and a bus boy. Service was a bit slow. Food was tasty though. Expect to spend about 20-35 for an entree.

Tiramisou with espresso for dessert was excellent!!!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:01 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
where can one get a mexican dish like flautas or enchiladas with a HARD CORN TORTILLA instead of the soft corn tortillas? decades ago flautas and enchiladas and tostadas featured a hard shell stuffed with the meat and cheese and sour cream, the only thing on the outside was the mole sauce or red sauce? The Sante Fe Grill I don't believe had the hard shells and that's an authentic mexican place so i would not expect say Montezuma on W Kingsbridge Rd to have hardshell either.

why the change?

i've noticed even the supermarket brand mex enchiladas are all soft shells

I remember about 25 years ago there was a brand called Tio Sancho that featured a hard shell enchilada, you would fill with the cooked meat and then pour the sauce over it and bake it in the oven it was so authentic that way

why don't they use the hard shells anymore? the expense? it just seems so processed and run of the mill with the soft shells

Last edited by rlrl; 04-07-2012 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 PM

42 posts, read 201,086 times
I like this thread. These are South Bronx eats....

Someone on this site recommended Clock Bar and Cafe at 112 Lincoln Avenue at the bottom of the Clocktower apartment building. It has been open for about a month. Visited 2 weeks ago and it was well worth the trip for its chic decor, cocktails, gourmet tapas, crostinis, mini pizzas and paninis. Good alternative to Bruckner Bar and Grill which is right down the block. Promising. There is also a place called Wish 37 on Bruckner that looks new and up and coming, but I have yet to try it.

The Clock Cafe and Martini Bar
The Clock Bar & Cafe | 112 Lincoln Avenue 10454 | Restaurants | Time Out New York
Z'Novia Southern Cuisine
G·Bar | Bar and Lounge
Bruckner Bar & Grill
Xochimilco Family Restaurant - Melrose - Bronx, NY
Pio Pio Peruvian Restaurant New York City
Wish 37 - Mott Haven - New York, NY
Hard Rock Cafe YANKEE STADIUM

Znovia is a nice spot as well. It's soul food with a twist at 161st and the Grand Concourse across from the courthouse. Gets crowded on Thursday nights though, causing service to be a bit slow. But again, very promising for the area. Good alternative to GBar and Giovanni's which is not too far at 149th St and the Concourse.

I've eaten at Santa Clarita's Mexican restaurant (no website) on Willis Ave and it was so good! Don't know if its still open. And I keep hearing about this place called Xochimilco on Melrose Ave, but I have yet to try that as well. It seems to have a cult following for urban foodies in search of the undiscovered. One day I'll make it over there... Pio Pio on Cypress Ave. is awesome as well for Peruvian and great decor.

Of course, there are many other noteworthy Dominican restaurants all over like Justine's on 167th and Jerome (a bit noisy). And don't forget the Yankee Stadium mainstays like Billy's Sorts Bar & Grill on the Concourse (friend food and over priced drinks, but recently renovated), and the nice and shiny Hard Rock Cafe which is open year round and is quite pleasant on a non-game day.

Buen Provecho! Bon Appetit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City