Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 30,405 times

Advertisements

Can a landlord tell you that you cannot babysit in your apartment? It's not on my lease at all to not do either one, babysit or child care. I asked my landlord if it would be alright take care up to 5 kids. He said yes and then turns around and tells me no weeks later. His reason is what if one of the kids falls down the stairs. I wanted to tell him what about the damn kids that play in the hallway running around making all this noise. I'm about to get license through the state of NY. Please help me with any legal advice. I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 03:10 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
First, FIVE kids is NOT babysitting, it is a business!

Second, you need a license and training to open a daycare center.

Third, you cannot legally use your apartment as a business/commercial premises.

Your LL is quite correct, in not wanting to put himself in a position to be potentially sued.

Which is why, Daycare centers MUST carry insurance!!! Along with a host of other accommmodations to ensure the safety and well being of the children.

Bottom line, generally, you are not allowed to run a commercial enterprise from a residential apartment or home. Nothing to do with the Lease, and all to do with the Law. Law always supercedes a contract/lease terms. Lease terms cannot contradict the Law.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM

51 posts, read 166,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
First, FIVE kids is NOT babysitting, it is a business!

Second, you need a license and training to open a daycare center.

Third, you cannot legally use your apartment as a business/commercial premises.

Your LL is quite correct, in not wanting to put himself in a position to be potentially sued.

Which is why, Daycare centers MUST carry insurance!!! Along with a host of other accommmodations to ensure the safety and well being of the children.

Bottom line, generally, you are not allowed to run a commercial enterprise from a residential apartment or home. Nothing to do with the Lease, and all to do with the Law. Law always supercedes a contract/lease terms. Lease terms cannot contradict the Law.

Yes, you do need a license to watch children in your home however you don't need real formal "training" do so but you do have to be license. And it would not be considered a daycare center either, in fact you don't need insurance or your landlord's approval to watch children in your home either. Daycare center is by far different than what she is doing.

Bureau of Child Care: NYC DOHMH
Family Day Care
  • Located in the home
  • For children ages six (6) weeks to 12 years old
  • Three (3) to eight (8) children allowed
  • Must have at least two (2) years experience caring
    for children under 6 years old, OR one (1) year
    experience plus six (6) hours of training in early
    childhood development.
  • Regulated by NYS Social Services Law Section 390
    Part 417
Group Family Day Care
  • Located in the home
  • For children ages six (6) weeks to 12 years old
  • Seven (7) to sixteen (16) children allowed
  • Must have at least two (2) years experience caring
    for children under 6 years old, OR one (1) year
    experience plus six (6) hours of training in early
    childhood development.
  • Must have an assistant present with the same qualifications stated above.
  • Regulated by NYS Social Services Law Section 390
    Part 416

Old 08-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Also, you can watch 3 or less children in your home in addition to yours and it still not a daycare center status either:

Informal Child Care
  • Usually located in a home
  • For children of all ages
  • Less than three (3) children allowed, in addition to provider’s own children
  • Providers are not required to register because they are
    legally exempt

Old 09-12-2012, 05:07 AM

Lightbulb Childcare

Thank you for all your replies. Yes I figured he could not tell me I cannot watch kids in my apartment. I will be licensed next month through NYS for Family Day Care and I have insurance that protects my belongings in my home and 6 kids are insured under my insurance. Plus my lease does not say I cannot babysit or do childcare.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:11 AM

Thank you UES Single Mom. I greatly appreciate the information you provided

Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
I would be pissed to be your neighbor or live below you

Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I would be pissed to be your neighbor or live below you

I am pissed to live below quite a few people who come home all hours of the night, dragging their shoes across the floor or the folks who leave all their trash on the first floor of the building or the folks below me who smoke in the hall ways... It's the price we sometimes pay when we live in apartment buildings all packed like sardines..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City