Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:53 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a decent amount of Greeks in many of the Italian or formally Italian neighborhoods in the city, even in areas like Bayside & Whitestone or Bensonhurst & Bay Ridge.

I agree with jcoltrane about Astoria. I notice a lot more Greeks in Astoria today then I did in the late 90's, especially around Ditmars Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Yeah Astoria is still pretty Greek. Mostly older people though. It doesn't seem like there is a steady flow of Greeks coming in but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
was Astoria Greek in the late 70/early 80's? I ask cause i worked nearby in LIC in 79 80 and 81.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,193 times
I'm wondering if the current severe economic crisis in Greece might not unleash a huge new wave of Greek immigrants to New York, in the process strengthening the Greek presence in neighborhoods like Astoria. Just like the Irish economic problems in years past (and present?) reinvigorated the Irish presence in Woodlawn.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:50 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah Astoria is still pretty Greek. Mostly older people though. It doesn't seem like there is a steady flow of Greeks coming in but maybe I'm wrong.
I think there hasnt been a significant immigration of Greeks to NY - let alone Astoria -for a long time. After joining the European union a lot of Greeks who wanted to emigrate, chose the UK and Germany.
Most people that you still speaking Greek are old timers. And the new generations use Greek only when speaking to elders.
I dont see how there can be an increase in Greeks if they arent coming in.
I guess some hard stats can settle this.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 PM

231 posts, read 333,021 times
I found astoria to be reasonably diverse but culturally very Greek. the cafes/ restaurants etc really stand out and the majority speak Greek. Should also be said that a lot of Greeks from all over nyc go to astoria to hang out and be part of the Greek scene so the area is constantly packed with greeks. The above post is spot on..with Greek banks, grocery stores, doctors etc a Greek person could live in that neighbourhood and barely have to speak a word of English...hence the reason why its still at the top of list for Greeks wanting to flee the messy homeland. I don't think a mass immigration from Greece will occcur anywhere in the world but you will definately see Greeks who left new York to return to Greece in the last 10-20 yrs coming back. Some 100,000 Americans of greek descent living in Greece atm...many of them would be one time new yorkers.

I would assume most of the Greeks in bayside and whitestone were originally from astoria, purely a sign of upward progression. Look at how many Greeks are in long island now compared to 20 yrs ago.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
greeks are not on the decline in astoria!

It is majority greek, and at least half the business and buildings are greek owned. Along with the greeks, there is a very significant eastern european population. Eastern orthodox churches predominate, as does euro cafe life, much as you might find in europe.

One could easily live in astoria and not speak a word of english, just greek; and, there are those that do.

Some might think greeks are on the decline, simply because the young, 2nd and 3rd generation appear very much american, and are a true amalgamation. Most speak greek, as well as perfect english, sometimes with a slight accent; but they can turn it on or off as the situation demands.

this young generation while being quite american are fully ensconed in the astoria greek culture. Most have spent extensive time in greece as children, and visit there regularly as young adults. It is also quite common to have dual citizenship.

A huge portion live and work in astoria, and the small portion of wealthy who do live in the suburbs, return every weekend to the home neighborhood and culture.

Every weekend the streets are filled with the young, middle and old, strutting the avenues and cafes, showing off their american prosperity, in a very euro way!

I have been living and visiting astoria for over 15 years. It is both a very american and un-american place.

As much as it pains me to give you some sort of rep, and it does pain me.

But this you are right, as a Greek family, me and my sons speak fluent Greek, perfect English, and when we need to have Greek accent, we can do it.

One of my sons in particular always uses his Greek accent, always....I don't know why, he just does....and I know he speaks perfect English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City