Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 15,330 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have a 20 year old daughter who is looking at some places in NW Crown Heights on Rogers (Prospect Pl, Park Pl, Sterling Pl area). She would be sharing with 3 other young women all early to mid 20's. They need to rent a place soon and have found reasonably priced and decent options there. They've walked around the neighborhood during the day and at night and all said they feel pretty comfortable with it. But, the crime stats seem pretty high and I'm wondering if this is a safe area for them.

Two have lived in other areas of NYC and two, including my daughter, are new to the city. She will be a student at a college in Manhattan and is required to dress "business casual" for school (actually has very little money or possessions but because of wardrobe requirements may appear to be more well off).

I'd appreciate honest feedback on
1.) general safety of this part of Crown Heights esp. for young single women
2.) safety of walking home from the subway at night(would most likely come down Park Pl from the stop there since it's closer or could get off at Franklin/Eastern and walk down to Rogers if that's safer)
3.) Any general safety tips (esp. for gals from the burbs and new to the city) and crime hot spots in Crown Heights to avoid

Thanks so much in advance for your time and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 04:39 PM

9,249 posts, read 24,107,116 times
Why have they decided to live in Crown Heights ? I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:47 PM

34,168 posts, read 47,407,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amomof4 View Post
Hello. I have a 20 year old daughter who is looking at some places in NW Crown Heights on Rogers (Prospect Pl, Park Pl, Sterling Pl area). She would be sharing with 3 other young women all early to mid 20's. They need to rent a place soon and have found reasonably priced and decent options there. They've walked around the neighborhood during the day and at night and all said they feel pretty comfortable with it. But, the crime stats seem pretty high and I'm wondering if this is a safe area for them.

Two have lived in other areas of NYC and two, including my daughter, are new to the city. She will be a student at a college in Manhattan and is required to dress "business casual" for school (actually has very little money or possessions but because of wardrobe requirements may appear to be more well off).

I'd appreciate honest feedback on
1.) general safety of this part of Crown Heights esp. for young single women
2.) safety of walking home from the subway at night(would most likely come down Park Pl from the stop there since it's closer or could get off at Franklin/Eastern and walk down to Rogers if that's safer)
3.) Any general safety tips (esp. for gals from the burbs and new to the city) and crime hot spots in Crown Heights to avoid

Thanks so much in advance for your time and advice!
1. Not that safe
2. Much safer to walk up Franklin Avenue
3. It's still a ghetto neighborhood overall. Why bother risking safety for an easier commute? Especially for 4 young women in the mid 20s with no street smart or former experience living in an above average crime neighborhood?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM

917 posts, read 2,007,101 times
I agree that it may be safer to walk up Franklin Ave. I think that neighborhood has gotten better but it still has a way to go.

During the day might not be bad but at night could be a little sketchy.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,248,440 times
That area is fine, though if you could afford it I would suggest looking for something further west than there, but overall it is fine you just need to make sure you have your street smarts up to keep yourself from looking like a target for theft. Also when out late at night, it is a good idea to always be with someone, not a big deal, but it is better to be safe than to have anything bad happen.

If they have walked around the neighborhood and feel comfortable with it, then they will be fine.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,248,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Why have they decided to live in Crown Heights ? I wouldn't want to live there.
Have you been to NW Crown Heights any this past year? The area is nothing like what it was 10 years ago.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 12,493 times
Honest feedback:

Crown Heights is the new hipster magnet. Regardless of what shady real estate brokers say- it's still the ghetto. A ghetto with great slightly overpriced fake Thai and Mexican restaurants, but still.

Rogers over by Sterling and Park : 50/50, safety wise. Tell your daughter to get ready to be verbally harassed at least once a month while walking home.

Other than that, if she and her three other nubile early 20's female roommates have some basic street smarts they should be okay.

Wait a minute, tell you what- give me their address when they move in and I'll, uh, go over and give them a welcome tour of the neighborhood.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:50 PM

10 posts, read 15,330 times
Thanks all for the replies.

RE: why Crown Heights -- it's not my first choice of neighborhood for them but they are dealing with the dynamic of 1.)having a modest rent budget which prices them out of many neighborhoods,2.) they want to be able to get into lower Manhattan within a 30 minute commute, 3.) finding an apartment they all like in an area they feel comfortable 4.) finding a landlord willing to rent to 4 young women two of whom are students and have no employment at present (have already been turned down for one place they liked in another neighborhood) and 5.) due to school starting have to find someplace quickly. So, their options are somewhat limited.

Since she has to be dressed nicely (business casual) for school would that make her more of a target in CH? Should she consider waiting to change into her nicer clothes in Manhattan and then changing again before getting on the subway? Would be glad to hear any other tips on how to be "street smart".

Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,431,747 times
idk why people try to claim franklin ave as the only crown heights street.

overall crown heights is the ghetto. i guess franklin is now the spot. But anything east of brooklyn ave is GHETTO.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:29 AM

9,249 posts, read 24,107,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Have you been to NW Crown Heights any this past year? The area is nothing like what it was 10 years ago.
Yes,I have.I've been there a couple of times in the last 6 months . That the area "is nothing like what it was 10 years ago"( can be said about virtually every neighborhood in NYC) still doesn't make it a neighborhood I would live in today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City