Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 AM

56 posts, read 92,558 times

Advertisements

I was planing to move to LA but now It seems like I will be moving to an apartment on manhattan instead. I was counting on palm-trees and waking up, doing yoga on the beach every day and now i cant do that.. Please tell me good things about NYC vs LA? I want to know how it is to live on manhattan/NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 06:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
First you need something for the corner of your bedroom:

Then jump on the subway to Brighton Beach and do your yoga. (Yes it's a trip but then you weren't planning on a beach house in Malibu either.

Then go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Stand REAL quiet and notice that the ground hasn't shaken with an earthquake even ONCE...unless you are atop a subway grate.

And last, but not least...sell your car and save a bundle.

And if your urge for an LA feeling becomes overwhelming, just take the Lexington line to 116th Street on a swelteringly hot day...voila, Los Angeles.

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-03-2012 at 06:48 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,724 times
Consider yourself lucky.

In a couple years, you'll be turning up your nose and sneering at flaky Californian hippies as you down your fourth coffee of the morning elbowing your way through crowds of tourists with the battle scarred savoire faire of a true New Yorker.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:03 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,807 times
Go to the garden district on 28th street. You'll find true, living palm trees for sale. I've even seen some miniature orange trees there. As for the yoga, well you can do that on one of the piers in the summer I guess.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 AM

446 posts, read 997,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbliss View Post
I was planing to move to LA but now It seems like I will be moving to an apartment on manhattan instead. I was counting on palm-trees and waking up, doing yoga on the beach every day and now i cant do that.. Please tell me good things about NYC vs LA? I want to know how it is to live on manhattan/NYC.
Yoga on the beach everyday.... lol. Yeah, after spending 2 hours in traffic to get there. I'm an ex-Angeleno and while I love LA in certain respects, NYC is in many ways a much more vibrant city, easier to get around. It's difficult to compare the two, apples and oranges, but give NY a chance. LA vs NYC... It's a good problem to have!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
NYC > LA any day. Appreciate it.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Please! This is pure fantasy when it comes to LA.

Currently living, but moving back to NYC and there is no way you can do yoga on the beach without crowds or a bunch of homeless around you. Maybe on a beach in Malibu, but not venice or santa monica that's for sure.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:24 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Go to the garden district on 28th street. You'll find true, living palm trees for sale. I've even seen some miniature orange trees there. As for the yoga, well you can do that on one of the piers in the summer I guess.
They have real palm trees growing in the winter garden at the World Financial Center between WFC2 and WFC 3. Nice place!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 AM

56 posts, read 92,558 times
Lol well you got me to feel much better about the decision. Although I was planning to live in santa monica close to the beach but It doesn't matter if it's not a nice beach..

My worry is that I'm going to become stressed living in such a fast moving city.. what do you do for fun on manhattan??

Old 09-03-2012, 11:00 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Lol well you got me to feel much better about the decision. Although I was planning to live in santa monica close to the beach but It doesn't matter if it's not a nice beach..

My worry is that I'm going to become stressed living in such a fast moving city.. what do you do for fun on manhattan??
Please stop saying you are going to live "ON MANHATTAN"
The only NYC borough that anyone lives on is Staten Island.People live IN Manhattan,Brooklyn,Queens and The Bronx.
That's just the way it is. Don't question it.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-03-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City