Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times

Advertisements

Had a real interesting Sunday. After a long day at work was taking a local car service home, One that I had used before. Anyway, upon pulling up at my house we were stopped by police. I was in the backseat, And when the officers were speaking to the driver they asked if it was a taxi. The driver had the b*lls to say "I am just taking my friend home." despite me being in the backseat with money clearly in my hand! Of course, The police are not fools and asked him why I was in the backseat. I told them straight out that it said the company taxi name on the headrests facing the backseat. The cops chuckled a little and said to the driver "Yeah, He does not look like he would be your friend."

At that point they checked his window tints, Which was too dark and asked him what he had in the glove compartment. I asked to leave and went home but could still see part of it through my window, And from what it looked like-They took him in. I was shocked. The price of this company was fair but I was surprised the driver that I said no more then a hello to would expect me to cover for him. And they must have found something not good with him or in the car. I was surprised they let me walk with no I.D. check or anything despite the fact i am clean as a rose.

Anybody experience similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 AM

916 posts, read 2,247,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Had a real interesting Sunday. After a long day at work was taking a local car service home, One that I had used before. Anyway, upon pulling up at my house we were stopped by police. I was in the backseat, And when the officers were speaking to the driver they asked if it was a taxi. The driver had the b*lls to say "I am just taking my friend home." despite me being in the backseat with money clearly in my hand! Of course, The police are not fools and asked him why I was in the backseat. I told them straight out that it said the company taxi name on the headrests facing the backseat. The cops chuckled a little and said to the driver "Yeah, He does not look like he would be your friend."

At that point they checked his window tints, Which was too dark and asked him what he had in the glove compartment. I asked to leave and went home but could still see part of it through my window, And from what it looked like-They took him in. I was shocked. The price of this company was fair but I was surprised the driver that I said no more then a hello to would expect me to cover for him. And they must have found something not good with him or in the car. I was surprised they let me walk with no I.D. check or anything despite the fact i am clean as a rose.

What's up D! What happen to NO SNITCHING in Brooklyn? *lol*

Sometimes Cops set up check points near the bridge and pull everyone over and give you a ticket
for every little minor things. My father and I were taken a livery cab home from Manhattan to
Ridgewood a while back, we can see the check point ahead as soon as we got off the bridge to
the Williamsburg side, and the cab driver was a little nervous and ask us to tell the cops we are
friends with him if the cops question us. We were a little uncomfortable with it, but agree to it
anyway, we don't know the cab driver too. It was a good thing the cops never ask us and we left
with no problem. I would hate to lie like that.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
What's up D! What happen to NO SNITCHING in Brooklyn? *lol*

Sometimes Cops set up check points near the bridge and pull everyone over and give you a ticket
for every little minor things. My father and I were taken a livery cab home from Manhattan to
Ridgewood a while back, we can see the check point ahead as soon as we got off the bridge to
the Williamsburg side, and the cab driver was a little nervous and ask us to tell the cops we are
friends with him if the cops question us. We were a little uncomfortable with it, but agree to it
anyway, we don't know the cab driver too. It was a good thing the cops never ask us and we left
with no problem. I would hate to lie like that.
He never mentioned we would need a cover story, And it was painfully obvious anyway I was not his friend,(he looked no older then 21. Why would an older man be friends with a 21 year old?) Riding in the backseat with money in my hand. I was not ripped off as the price was ideal, Just a bit jolted in the fact it seems he got in real trouble for something else. What did that dude have in the car? Who knows. Just glad i got to go home. I have clean record and plan to keep it that way and don't want to fall into a situation like that that could affect me.

The car smelled great though and was super clean. I give him that! Some cabs smell like stale cigs, armpits, hurl, and old socks.

Last edited by D. Scott; 09-10-2012 at 09:20 AM..

Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
I am not clear why anyone would cover for him. We don't want unlicensed cabs on the streets! JayData, as far as the no-snitching goes, the day something grave happens to yourself, mother, father, sister, or some other loved one of yours, I presume you will tell everyone "not to snitch" on the attacker, right? Brooklyn don't snitch remember!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Sometimes the cops bug these livery drivers over stupid sh**. It's funny because they let them get away with all kinds of illegal driving maneuvers but pull them over or give them a hard time over some minor BS. It's my understanding that as long as the livery company and the driver are registered with the city there should be no issue. Sometimes the guy driving isn't registered though, that might be what happened.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Sometimes the cops bug these livery drivers over stupid sh**. It's funny because they let them get away with all kinds of illegal driving maneuvers but pull them over or give them a hard time over some minor BS. It's my understanding that as long as the livery company and the driver are registered with the city there should be no issue. Sometimes the guy driving isn't registered though, that might be what happened.
They actually pulled him over for failing to signal and that revealed everything else. This was also in a higher crime zip code as well.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post

Why would you try to cover for someone you don't even know? What if this dude was in some type of real trouble and by lying, you get yourself into trouble too!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Why would you try to cover for someone you don't even know? What if this dude was in some type of real trouble and by lying, you get yourself into trouble too!
Precisely why I did not. It was across the street from my house, Late and I had an early start today. I just wanted to get home. The driver had a pair on him, That's for sure. What's ironic here though-I am in the Hotel industry and we tell guests to make sure not to get into unlicensed car services-And then I got into one LOL!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 AM

916 posts, read 2,247,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am not clear why anyone would cover for him. We don't want unlicensed cabs on the streets! JayData, as far as the no-snitching goes, the day something grave happens to yourself, mother, father, sister, or some other loved one of yours, I presume you will tell everyone "not to snitch" on the attacker, right? Brooklyn don't snitch remember!
I was kind of poking fun a little at no snitching mentality with crimes only srobro, I hate that too.
But I do feel a little bad for the cab driver, unlicensed cabs or not.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
I was kind of poking fun a little at no snitching mentality with crimes only srobro, I hate that too.
But I do feel a little bad for the cab driver, unlicensed cabs or not.
He was playing crappy music on the stereo though. Justin Beiber came on-And he did not change the station!! he gets no mercy LOL!

Really..Do I look like a guy who listens to Justin Beiber???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: