Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times

Advertisements

Well, here is a little story I have for you fine folk.\

I was on my way to school this morning, first taking the bus to W 207th street in Inwood, then boarding the South Ferry 1 train, when something alarmed me. As I was waiting for the train on the platform, a young African American man, with a dirty white t-shirt and faded old jeans starts approaching me from the other end. I didn't think much of it, until he started staring at me. So, like any "man" I stare at him right back. He would look away, but then look at me again. I was listening to my Ipod at the time, so I was relaxed. He stops a few feet away from me, proceeds to look at the street below, and then stared at me again. So now I was getting agitated. The train finally pulls into the station, and to play it safe, I wait till the last moment to get into the second car car, almost simultaneously, the dude gets into the third car. End of story?

No.

Now my guard is down, and I start to enjoy the nice scenery of graffiti ridden rooftops in Inwood. I look around the car, which had very few people, and as I look at the end of the car, I see, through the door, the dude in the third car, staring right at me. Now at this point, I'm a little nervous, but of course I don't show it. I thought maybe it is just a coincidence, so I tried to relax. As we pass Dyckman street and head underground, I look again, and the dude is leaning on the third car's door, still staring right at me. Now, me, finally putting two and two together, come to the conclusion that this guy probably wants to rob me of my Ipod. I'm thinking he is probably the type that snatches at the last instant, and the reason he is looking at me through the door, is because he wants to see what stop I get off, so either he gets off as well, or so he could position himself next to the door to snatch. I proceed to put my Ipod away, and I start acting crazy, to see if it throws him off. I flex my muscles (which are not much), look all over the car, and look at him too. Now, he looks away, then looks at me, then looks away, I guess realizing that he was making it obvious. I pondered the thought of staying past my stop, and basically take the train all the way down to busy downtown. But I would be giving in to him, so I decide to get off at 137th street, my stop. The train enters the station and my plan ( I no longer had the Ipod) is to exit while the door is closing. This way, if he wants to follow me, he'll think I'm staying in the car, and when I finally do exit, it would be too late for him to exit.

I wait, wait, wait and then boom I leave the car. I'm relieved because he stayed in. But wouldn't you know it? The damn train stays with doors open for another 6 minutes. I'm thinking, "You have got to be bleeping me". So I man up, cross my arms, and wait right in front of the second car. He finally sticks his head out, I guess looking for me, and when he saw me waiting there, he went back in. Eventually he settled in the door, and I was staring at him (although the column was obstructing my view). Finally, he gets off, gives me a quick look, and starts walking towards the exit. I'm less nervous now because I have the advantage, as I was walking behind him, and could have gotten him in a choke hold. He would stare back at me as he made his way out. He even takes out his phone underground! He stands right by the agent booth, and started to stare at me again. I was late for class, so I couldn't stop for another staring contest. SO I made my way up the stairs and out, all the while looking back at him.

I told myself, if he follows me up the block, I am going to confront him, and smash his face in. I make my way towards my school, and finally see him leave the subway. We're 50 feet away, and he stares at me, and I stare at him. He takes out his phone again, and made his way up the other street still looking my direction. That was the last I saw of him.

Sorry for the long story, but this epic battle had to be shared.

FWIW, I'm 5'8 about 160 soaking wet. He looks to be the same.

Questions:

What did he want? Was he trying to rob me? but decided otherwise when he saw I was ready for a fight?

Should I have confronted him, asking "Why the bleep are you staring at me?" and punch him if he acted stupid? Or should I have done what I did, because you never know if he has a gun or a knife with him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Always avoid a confrontation if possible. He might of been sizing you up for a robbery. Or he could have been a nut case and possibly carrying a weapon. Either way just get away from the guy. Meanwhile keep your guard up.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:55 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Seems like a normal day in NYC to me.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 PM

916 posts, read 2,247,034 times
Maybe is not the ipod that was attracting the guy, he might think you are cute and checking
you out? BIG misunderstanding!

Seriously, I thought you would get robbed at the end of the story. I'm glad you are okay.
But watch your back next time around that area, maybe change your route or time to school
if possible for a few weeks just to be safe.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
The most successful outcome is the one in which you avoid confronting the unknown. He may have had confederates with whom he may have communicated via phone if there were any trouble, or if he wanted a quick getaway with your iPod. You never know what could be happening, so it's best to do as you did, stay aware of your surroundings and protect yourself. He probably thought that you were distracted and that it would be easy to snatch your iPod. I am glad that no harm came to you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Glad you are ok. I like the "acting crazy" part. I guess this only works when you act much crazier than anything they see in their usual day-to-day lives.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
As someone who was born and raised in bushwick projects and wasnt always the most noble citizen in my teens (im in my 30's now and grew out the ghetto mentality in my early 20's) what could happen next is now that it is known what stop you get off and on and the time of the day, the next few days or 2 weeks (depending on the type of person/crew previous targets or value of your item and appearance) they will have someone new at the school at the time of day you are expected or train station just to make sure you are a creature of habit. After noting at least 2 or 3 times that you're are "on schedule" and if you do look like a victim (by the wording of your story and actions, i would have to say sorry you are, will explain a bit later on that) something may happen.

For the record im 5'3 135lbs and your height means nothing, the psychology and the thrill/high/rush and depending on level of criminal is what matters here. The level of criminal is what matters most if the victim can defend themselves then that is great to stop and possibly deter young people away from this type of life. Your actions would have shown me that you knew i was up to something and i panicked you which means by not actually doing anything but staring and walking it got your guard up (removing your ipod/headphones) next time if possible keep your headphones on but put the ipod/phone away in a pocket/jacket/etc and try not to show that the wire is not connected anymore. This way 1 you know whats going on and 2 the criminal may think you dont. Based on what you wrote you didn't look natural at all. Hopefully he/they will not proceed or have moved on.

Young criminal minded hood people are more complex and have lots of anger. There was no need for you to mention the race of the person, this shows you're are probably white skin and not born and raised in nyc or multi cultural place. This alone may give anger to young people who feel you are somehow preventing them from something. Believe me being young in the hood it really was normal to think white people keep us down. It takes a long time to realize the problem is that very mind set not a white person.

Good luck and keep your eyes open

Old 09-06-2012, 04:29 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Black guy could of have a gun as usual. I lucky for me I don't associate with hood people. I also people who in the good particularly thugs will size marks up. The best way to avoid getting mugged is to either of look crazy or be a size of an nfl linemen like me 280 pounds at 6 2 in height.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:26 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
He could've been sizing you up. Or he could simply have been suffering from Fried Brain Syndrome, and he does that to everyone he encounters on the subway.

One night, I was on a D train well past midnight, and some guy comes into the car looking for trouble. You could tell that immediately. I happened to be wearing an army jacket with officer's insignia on the shoulders. He looked at them (NOT into my eyes) and walked quickly away. I imagine he figured that I was an officer in the Army, and I'd be ready to take him and his craziness on. So he was the one who felt he had to avoid a confrontation, not me.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I am not sure why "I told myself, if he follows me up the block, I am going to confront him, and smash his face in." Like really...this is what you were going to do because he was staring at you and made you uncomfortable? This guy was one of 4 things:

1. He was planning to rob you, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but sometime in the future and watched you and your routine. This is unlikely as nobody would make it that obvious.

2. He was a homosexual and liked you. This is also unlikely as you are unattractive to both sexes.

3. He thought YOU were staring and following him! It takes 2 to stare, and it could be that he thought you were doing the same thing you thought he was. It happens.

4. He was just crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City