Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 AM

5,133 posts, read 4,976,546 times

Advertisements

I thought I would share my secret discoveries with my fellow NYCers about defects/cheats that newer iPhones may have compared to the original ones. I have not used 5 yet but many of you may have heard about the mess with it's map and data defects.

I have the 200mb data plan. On my 3G phone this used to be more than sufficient. After changing to 4s, I have to keep an eye on it closely every other day for the same amount of browsing activity. 4s just seems to consume the plan much faster, not sure why.

Also, 4s has worse wifi connectivity. It could drop off even though I stayed in the same spot, not to mention that 3 can pick up wifi in areas where 4 struggles.

Just to point out that the 2nd issue does not contribute to the 1st issue because I made sure to rule that out in my comparisons.

Anyone else experienced these issues?
I am convinced not to go for newer iPhones anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM

175 posts, read 353,211 times
Don't buy the phone. Don't upgrade to iOS6 until Apple fixes the bugs and errors from the original release.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
The iPhone is a highly over-rated phone. Ive been saying this since they came out with the IPhone 3.
The competition has better hardware and the backing of Google gives the competing platform (android) an edge in software .

The best thing about an iPhone is not having one

Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 AM

74 posts, read 122,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
The iPhone is a highly over-rated phone. Ive been saying this since they came out with the IPhone 3.
The competition has better hardware and the backing of Google gives the competing platform (android) an edge in software .

I've had two iPhones they both changed my life dramatically for the better and like every other apple product I've ever owned new or old aside from the ipod due to incredible amounts of use, the iPhone hasn't had a single issue not one, that's not to say others haven't had problems. I don't have much to compare it to but the OS operating system has always run like a tank for me across the board.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 PM

175 posts, read 353,211 times
Quote:

It's a personal preference and nothing more than that. Both are great communication devices that allow you to instantaneously connect to satelites in low earth orbit.

We shouldn't be arguing over a brand. Both samsung and apple and the cellular providers will rape us for profits ad naseum. What is great is the level of technology we have achieved (thanks NASA). Imagine if Robert E. Lee had google maps on a smartphone and a sniper rifle at the advent of the civil war. He would ended that sh*t in a week and a half. It's amazing to think that a phone, at any other stage of history would be such a game changer.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:13 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,002 times
Quote:

The hardware doesn't mean that it is going to be a good phone at all. You can make a phone with the best screen, the best processor, the most RAM, the most storage space, etc... but if the operating system is fragmented to all hell because you used the phone and downloaded some apps... it doesn't work like a dream anymore.

The iPhone outperforms phones with more RAM, and faster CPUs... how? because of software. As of right now, the backing of Google isn't really helping because as soon as the carriers get their hands on the phone they change it anyways.
Even without the carriers changing the software, the unrestricted(basically) app market on android allows for apps that fragments the phone even more.

so yes, on paper the iPhone is never a superior phone. But in the benchmark tests, it somehow always ranks up high.

This is coming from an android user who switched over to an iPhone because of all the above reasons.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm267 View Post
It's a personal preference and nothing more than that. Both are great communication devices that allow you to instantaneously connect to satelites in low earth orbit.

We shouldn't be arguing over a brand. Both samsung and apple and the cellular providers will rape us for profits ad naseum. What is great is the level of technology we have achieved (thanks NASA). Imagine if Robert E. Lee had google maps on a smartphone and a sniper rifle at the advent of the civil war. He would ended that sh*t in a week and a half. It's amazing to think that a phone, at any other stage of history would be such a game changer.
You're right. Ultimately a metter of personal preference. I'm biased toward Android, but the iPhone has it own strenghs. None of which I can't think of, right now. J/K
Anyway, at pace in which phones have evolved even futurists like Jules Verne would have been impressed.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Thing I like about the iPhone 5 is that its large size makes it a bit easier to do a grab and run on the subway.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:16 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,936 times
Quote:

Seriously? I used to have Android then got the 4S. Life instantly improved after the switched. iPhone isn't perfect by any means, but is far better than other smartphones. And I don't get the S3 hype; it's far too big.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I thought I would share my secret discoveries with my fellow NYCers about defects/cheats that newer iPhones may have compared to the original ones. I have not used 5 yet but many of you may have heard about the mess with it's map and data defects.

I have the 200mb data plan. On my 3G phone this used to be more than sufficient. After changing to 4s, I have to keep an eye on it closely every other day for the same amount of browsing activity. 4s just seems to consume the plan much faster, not sure why.

Also, 4s has worse wifi connectivity. It could drop off even though I stayed in the same spot, not to mention that 3 can pick up wifi in areas where 4 struggles.

Just to point out that the 2nd issue does not contribute to the 1st issue because I made sure to rule that out in my comparisons.

Anyone else experienced these issues?
I am convinced not to go for newer iPhones anymore.
It sounds like you have the cheapest At&t plan, over the past couple of years I watched so many New Yorkers who enjoyed Blackberry which was the staple smartphone of this city and now switch up to the iphone which I really hate. I feel sorry for anyone using At&t and have an iphone especially with the iphone5 which has lte, it will gobble up your data. To bad At&t does not have unlimited data plans. Stick with your older model, people are getting robbed left and right for an iphone. I know of a lady who just upgraded to an iphone5 and got her iphone5 swiped on the Q train in Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City