Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,792 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]I know nothing about these types of things and didn't even know things like this happen! My landlord (its a property management firm that just bought the building 3 months ago) came up to me the other day and asked how much would it cost to buy me out of your apartment. Here is a little bit of background information on my apartment. I have been living there 1 year, just signed a 2 year lease this month (rent stabilized). I live in South Williamsburg in a 1 bedroom (building not so nice, apt. pretty decent) for $1555.00 a month (not outrageously cheap). There are people in the building that have lived there for 20+ years that probably pay significantly less (my apartment has been renovated 2 years ago). How would I go about coming up with an amount to ask for? I would appreciate any help on this matter, thanks![/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 12:52 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,807 times
It's probably not worth it if you plan to stay in the NYC area. Whatever they give you, will go right back out of your pocket once you get into market rate housing somewhere else. There is no indication that rents in NYC will go anywhere but much higher.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 PM

109 posts, read 343,844 times
How much would market rate be for an apt like that?

Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,792 times
I have been looking around and seems like $2000 -$4000 but all the apartments in the area are nicer then the building I live in know. I havent really been able to find one that compares more closely.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,083 times
Don't give him a number. Say you're not interested and see what he says, and go from there. You're in the position of strength here.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:07 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,993 times
He's right - they are doing a real dumb thing by not opening the bidding with their own offer.

Go research what it took to buy people out in other situations, then ask for 30% more.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:21 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,271,444 times
People usually fight tooth and nail to keep their buildings and apts rent stabilized.

A couple of things will happen if the bldg turns, ie, a certain % of renters agree to sell out their lease,
either they will greatly increase the rents including yours when it comes up for renewal,
or they will renovate the building which means you will probably have to move out,
or they will sell the bldg/lot and you can add the first two scenarios together.

Unless they offer you big bucks enough to buy your own apt probably not worth it.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Don't give him a number. Say you're not interested and see what he says, and go from there. You're in the position of strength here.
Actually in negotiating, you are always in a better position to make the first offer. People nearly always end up very close to the middle (plus or minus 20%) between where the first offer was made and what the first counter offer was. You have a much better chance of controlling the final price if you set the first offer correctly.

Research the market rates. Go to open houses, look at listings, talk to real estate agents. Gather as much info. on what the going rate is as you can find before responding at all. Also, if you decide you simply don't want to move, give him an outrageously high offer (2-3x the market rate, as long as you aren't afraid of being a little shameless). Let him either say no or give you an incredible deal.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:28 PM

393 posts, read 783,188 times
I'm also inclined to say not worth it. The only way you should give it up is if you are okay with moving to a different part of the city where you can find another rent stabilized apartment for the same price you are paying now. You can definitely get one in Queens for around that price (for a one bedroom anyway..I have no idea how big your apartment is but you can probably find something comparable). It won't be in Williamsburg though. If you love your neighborhood and want to keep living there don't do it.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:49 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Actually in negotiating, you are always in a better position to make the first offer. People nearly always end up very close to the middle (plus or minus 20%) between where the first offer was made and what the first counter offer was. You have a much better chance of controlling the final price if you set the first offer correctly.
In normal negotiations this is true. However in this situation the balance of power is skewed very far in favor of the tenant initially.

There was an interesting article in the NY Times about this last year: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/re...pagewanted=all One tenant was initially offered 10,000, then 20,000, then 75,000, and kept turning them down. She ended up getting bought out for an undisclosed, substantially higher amount. She never made an offer of her own.

It wouldn't hurt to try to find out what other tenants have been bought out for, though.

I think I would only take a buyout of a rent-stabilized apartment if it were enough for a down payment on my own place...the only time a landlord would pay that much is on Park Avenue or something where the market rent is $10,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: