Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 12:25 PM

26 posts, read 52,580 times

Advertisements

We're seriously considering a house in Clinton Hill on Grand Avenue near Gates ave a couple blocks north of Fulton, near both the Clinton/Wash C and G subway stops. I've lived in the East Village for 15 years (near ave C). I know BK pretty well (though never lived there), and after looking in Park Slope, Carroll/Boerum, Fort Greene, Wburg, Greenpoint and Clinton Hill we found this place. I always liked the neighborhood when visiting and I think our block is pretty nice but not the best in the world from an aesthetic standpoint, in general I'm good with it. My BF is older and from CT, so this all takes a bit of getting used to for him. I think the thing that gives us the most concern is "lack of amenities" such as good grocery stores etc, very close by. Being female (white, if that matters) and someone who keeps late hours and likes to walk around a lot, I'd also love to get some thoughts on safety though I've not heard anything scary from anyone who lives there, though maybe there are still some drug corners nearby? Again, I've lived in the city a long time so I'm less freaked out by things that might appear alarming (i.e. projects) to some.

Just curious to get some thoughts on the area both as a place to live and an investment, more the first than the second. Please don't start some sort of racial argument or tell me to go back to Ohio. I'm fully aware of all the implications, and have a great interest in urban studies myself, and in neighborhood history in general. My parents are BK born and raised as well, (mom grew up in W'burg at S 1st and Bedford, WAY before it was cool). That said I'm fully aware that we are spoiled white yuppies who love whole foods and fresh direct. I'm also aware that the neighborhood is gentrified/gentrifying (depending on whom you talk to) and considered expensive and "trendy."

So beyond those judgements, please let me know your thoughts on my potential new neighborhood.

Also if anyone knows info any new developments happening soon in the immediate area, both good and potentially problematic, I would love to know about them (beyond the obvious like Atlantic Yards). I know about the new housing thing on Putnam, and about the Greene Hill co-op. Curious what is going on that empty lot near the corner of Lexington and Grand I think.

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 08:55 PM

24 posts, read 108,030 times
We bought on Cambridge place and love it. Sure it is "transitional" but def no entitlemen here like in Park slope. Would not walk late towards Bed Stuy region as it can be dodgy but generally I feel safe here. Good move. These homes are only going in one direction..up!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City